Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148652 times)

dlo

I was just above you when you got that 

Maybe its just me but the last couple years I have seen more coho around later than I am used to.

This one surprised me on January 1st this year. Was thinking steelhead until I got it in for a look. Latest I have ever caught a coho on the Vedder.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Maybe its just me but the last couple years I have seen more coho around later than I am used to.

seemed to me that 2012 & 2013 had far better coho returns than we've seen over the previous several seasons. Even 2011 was relatively good. I know last year I wa taking coho all through November and into mid December.My sense is the numbers have dropped back this year and after mid-Nov is always the tail of the run so I'd expect we won't see as many late fish as the last couple of years. Mind you I had the best Sept I ever had and my 1st coho this year was Sept 8th.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SilverChaser

Had a small hatchery break off my jig as I went to tail it today to make sure, and also bonked another hatchery.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Good water conditions this AM, saw a jack coho taken.

Will give the evening a try in a few minutes.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water still good, no fish again but only had 15 minutes of fishing time when I got to the spot.

Walleye76

Hit mid-upper today, landed a pretty clean chum doe on second cast, and 2 bucks over the next hour and a bit. Water is still high but visability was aroubd 4ft

bigsnag

• Old Timer

s Mind you I had the best Sept I ever had and my 1st coho this year was Sept 8th.
This coming from RalphH, so much for the "good old days" BS.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

LOL, what good old days BS?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

LOL, what good old days BS?
just how people always say the fishing were so much better in the old days...............but seriously...............it really isn't all that bad right now. Those who remember the really good days are long gone.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

but seriously what are you raving about? When have I ever said the fishing was so much better 'in the old days'. The most recent thing I recall saying about the old days was how the Vedder/ Chilliwack was as big a dirt hole for snaggers and dippers 30 or 40 years as it is today.

I may have had a good Sept for coho this year but overall I caught 3 times as many coho last year as what I have caught this year so far. I guess last year was the 'good old days'. Most of the good old days I seldom caught a coho in Sept.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:32:17 PM by RalphH »

flyguy1

I think with all this rain and the water being so high the Coho are harder to find specially in the wider rivers  Harrison , Stave rivers  etc. In Rivers that are not as wide Chehalis and Vedder systems the rivers get blown out and coho shoot up river much quicker  hopefully the rain will taper off for the month of November.
Only 5 coho counted in the Albion test fisheries as of October 20, 2014  so possibly a late run or not a very good run of Coho this year...... just my 2 cents worth   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Coho salmon fishing has been fantastic so far this year IMO. We were pretty spoiled by last season but the last few weeks have been almost just as good after a pretty slow start in September. I find it pretty enjoyable to fish it now, since most runs are void of people. Most people have gone up to Tamahi, leaving all the nice runs where you can actually trick the fish to bite.

SilverChaser

I picked up twitching jigs on Saturday and today I landed my 1st coho twitching a jig on a custom, hand-tied jig to boot. 6 lbs hatchery buck that was already starting to get its spawning colours. Will be a good one for the smoker since our freezers are stacked up with sockeye fillets.

On the other hand, haven't had a chum touch my presentation in 3 days. Can't complain as long as im hooking coho though  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

bigsnag

• Old Timer

This coming from RalphH, so much for the "good old days" BS.
sorry Ralphie, I wasn't targeting you. just people who made that comment in general.
take care
j
It ain't the roe bro'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Coho salmon fishing has been fantastic so far this year IMO. We were pretty spoiled by last season but the last few weeks have been almost just as good after a pretty slow start in September. I find it pretty enjoyable to fish it now, since most runs are void of people. Most people have gone up to Tamahi, leaving all the nice runs where you can actually trick the fish to bite.
Maybe my video sent them there. ;D ;D ;D