Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208669 times)

the_tall_man

Ah - I take that back.  Looks like the data for the upper river is lagging.  This is more like it:

http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/report_e.html?type=realTime&stn=08MH001

I know what I'm doin' this afternoon! :)
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Jk47

Yep that's what I saw when I checked the graph this a.m.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

It was A1.

the_tall_man

Yeah, it was good yesterday.  Great vis.  Strangely the fishing wasn't as good as I though it'd be (with good vis and river levels dropping).  Only got a couple chum to take my offerings.  Good day on the river though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:20:07 AM by the_tall_man »
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

I lost my silver and orange #35 Koho spoon yesterday after a few casts, so had to use a copper one instead. It definitely made a difference on the catch count I think. That silver and orange was really producing.

Rod you are obviously a Vedder coho spoon master. Just look at the results. Just curious if you find any difference in spoons with full orange painted on one side compared with those with just an orange strike. Also, does the silver side works better with shiny polish compared to hammered surface? I have done well on Cap coho with a blue stripe at the mouth and the lower Cap runs.I guess the blue kind of simulate the top of a herring. I am more of a roe guy for Vedder coho. But I hate the messy roe plus the dried up skin from touching the borex stuff. Next season I may do more spooning for Vedder coho. I wonder if Vedder coho likes orange more than blue. Your comment is appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:33:26 PM by Steelhawk »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The routine that I've gotten into in the past three seasons is that I'd float fish with roe early in the season, right up to the Thanksgiving weekend. After that, as soon as the rain hits, I pretty much only fish spoons. I'd fish big ponds/pools where you'd have to cast far, I'd fish pockets of water where I would flip the spoon in and jig it back. It's quick, cleaner and less stuff I have to carry. I personally don't think colours make a huge different. There are of course a few personal preferences - Hammered nickel, hammered copper, silver, all with or without an orange stripe, or all orange on one side. I've seen guys do awesome with purple, blue, chartreuse too so that's why I don't think it's really the colour. What's really important for me is to get that spoon or whatever lure you're using down to where the fish are, and keep it there without getting snagged so they'd follow. Coho love to follow. They'll follow and peck and peck and peck until they finally want that lure sometimes.

Twitchy

I find the vedder coho will take blue just as well as they do orange. This year I did better with a koho 45 blue illusion than I did with orange. But like rod says color is not as important as getting to where the fish are and having them in a biting mood. I've hit coho consistently on every color in the rainbow. But always good to try a few colors if you know there are fish, but you have a few missed hits or they are unwilling to bite.  I also throw roe for the early season and switch to strickly hardware in oct when the rains come. Hardware gets me 90% of my coho.

Birkenhead

Rodney.

For Coho fishing on the Vedder, what size lure do you find works the best? I have a few 3/8 size Gibbs Crocs and wonder if these lures are too small for Coho?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I almost always use 1/4oz only. The last few weeks I've been using the #35 Koho, which is 3/8oz because of where I've been fishing. Deeper water, and fish were further out. I needed that lure to stay down deep to get the bites.

Birkenhead

I almost always use 1/4oz only. The last few weeks I've been using the #35 Koho, which is 3/8oz because of where I've been fishing. Deeper water, and fish were further out. I needed that lure to stay down deep to get the bites.

Thanks. I'll remember this for next years Coho fishing.

clarki

• Old Timer

As Rod said, coho will nip and peck at a lure on the retrieve. If you ask me, the most important, and often overlooked, consideration is not the lure colour, but the sharpness of the hook. A sharp hook will hopefully stick in that non-committal coho's mouth for a second longer giving you the opportunity to react and set the hook.   

I'm guilty of this myself, investing in a $4-5 spoon but cheaping out and not replacing a worn out hook with a 30 cent replacement. A good hook file is essential too.     
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:28:30 PM by clarki »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

I found first light to be very productive this season for coho. In clear water conditions fluorocarbon leader made a big difference. All the salmon this year have been on spinners spoons and jigs and blades...no roe was used. persistence is also key..if a spot is not producing..move to another and give it a shot. A couple of times no spinner or spoon or jig would get a bite..but change up to a hammered brass colorado blade got me hookups. Keep your options open with a variety of tackle..dont get stuck on just one lure.

How was the river this morning?..was out at 8am on the lower. It poured rain but thankfully not windy. water level was good but slowly rising. The river had good blue color and had good visibilty. Threw jigs then spinners and then switched to a blue striped hammered croc which got me 2 wilds for my efforts on just 3 hours fishing. Soaking wet i called it a day. Try again next week.  :)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

I found first light to be very productive this season for coho. In clear water conditions fluorocarbon leader made a big difference. All the salmon this year have been on spinners spoons and jigs and blades...no roe was used. persistence is also key..if a spot is not producing..move to another and give it a shot. A couple of times no spinner or spoon or jig would get a bite..but change up to a hammered brass colorado blade got me hookups. Keep your options open with a variety of tackle..dont get stuck on just one lure.

How was the river this morning?..was out at 8am on the lower. It poured rain but thankfully not windy. water level was good but slowly rising. The river had good blue color and had good visibilty. Threw jigs then spinners and then switched to a blue striped hammered croc which got me 2 wilds for my efforts on just 3 hours fishing. Soaking wet i called it a day. Try again next week.  :)

Same, roe for me has not worked at all. Tuesday morning was out using a gibs crock. bronze with red strip was getting nothing. Saw that the river was cleaning up switched to a all silver small gibs crock and bam first cast a nice 10 pound wild.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Thanks for the prior reply. I guess the lighter the spoon the better for coho in clearer water as is often the case with wool or spinner. Do you find that Vedder coho will refuse a larger/longer spoon (like 2.5" or more)? I guess it doesn't matter much in the Cap mouth as it is the ocean, as I have seen coho taken quite larger lures, even chunky buzz bomb, but just wonder if these Vedder coho are spoon-size shy if the water is not gin clear but still quite visible.

And just for the sake of discussion of the popular Croc & Koho spoons, what is the main difference between them? I do own a few Croc for the pink and notice that they are slimmer body than Koho spoons. Is that the only difference? What about the action and effectiveness?

One final question on spoon is do you find lighter spoon casted with lead a lot less effective than without lead? At the Cap mouth, sometimes for distance casting we add pencil lead a few feet from the spoon. It will cause the spoon to sink faster and so we have to retrieve faster to prevent snagging up bottom. Not ideal. But not sure if such set up is effective for Vedder coho. I do have lots of lighter spoon blanks but so far only using them at the Cap mouth. Any one with some insights to share?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:03:49 PM by Steelhawk »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water was great this am and of course the chum continue to come in.  Heavy rain hit when I was enjoying a coffee, water colored but is clearing again, if no rain tonight it should be fine tomorrow.

Took a tour of the Chilliwack River Valley re garbage issues and FOC was checking anglers at the cement slabs. Saw bird dippers and other dippers too. :P

So disappointing to see the mess left behind by some at places like the cement slabs. There is garbage bins there but people are to lazy to walk a few feet. :'(I cleaned up a bit but sort of get sick of doing it all the time.

We need a cleanup after the masses leave the river before the steelhead season starts.