Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208237 times)

clarki

• Old Timer

A couple of times no spinner or spoon or jig would get a bite..but change up to a hammered brass colorado blade got me hookups.

I've drifted blades, but never cast and retrieved them with spinning gear.  I presume you must add some external weight (i.e. split shot) to get any distance casting them?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

So disappointing to see the mess left behind by some at places like the cement slabs. There is garbage bins there but people are to lazy to walk a few feet. :'(I cleaned up a bit but sort of get sick of doing it all the time.

I believe Costco or some retailer did a study that found people would only walk like 6-8 steps before tossing garbage on the ground after they got their free sample. Thats why u will typically find garbage cans a few steps after.

Still its gross and people need to clean up. I followed budwiser cans all the way to my fav fishing spot the other day, cleaned them all up on the way back. 

milo

• Old Timer

I've drifted blades, but never cast and retrieved them with spinning gear.  I presume you must add some external weight (i.e. split shot) to get any distance casting them?

Not really. What you need is a reel spooled with some good backing and then filled up to the brim with a slick and thin line such as Nanofil and those blades will fly off the reel on their own without extra weight added. You can get great distance even with a 1/8-ounce jig.

Blackrt03

Plan on heading out tomorrow, how's the water looking....thanks

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Plan on heading out tomorrow, how's the water looking....thanks
Out this morning and water was great made 3 casts and hooked 2 chum in about 5 minutes used the same roe bag. A fresh run chum went home for tonight's BBQ. No need to hook any more chum and no coho any way so went for coffee with Lew. ;D

Blackrt03

Out this morning and water was great made 3 casts and hooked 2 chum in about 5 minutes used the same roe bag. A fresh run chum went home for tonight's BBQ. No need to hook any more chum and no coho any way so went for coffee with Lew. ;D

Thanks Chris!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Thanks Chris!
You are welcome, for those that look down on chum which I did at one time you are missing a tasty meal which if prepared properly they are excellent, going back for seconds, if my wife does not eat it all first. ;D

It certainly beats ocean raised FF fish, well I stand corrected on that as I have and never will try them. Will leave that for Dave, SS, FB and those that think they are fine eating. :P

Back on topic very nice out this evening but rain in the forecast but river should hold for first light fishing before we head to the Remembrance Day services, remember we are able to do what we do these days, thanks to all the brave people that served for us in past wars, many that did not live to enjoy more of life, they gave their life for us!!!

Dave

• Old Timer

You are welcome, for those that look down on chum which I did at one time you are missing a tasty meal which if prepared properly they are excellent, going back for seconds, if my wife does not eat it all first. ;D
I always preferred to smoke the chums I killed or purchased from the Albion test fishery.  How are you preparing/cooking the fish you are eating?  You said barbeque but when I tried bbq'ing we found them too dry ... just curious.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I always preferred to smoke the chums I killed or purchased from the Albion test fishery.  How are you preparing/cooking the fish you are eating?  You said barbeque but when I tried bbq'ing we found them too dry ... just curious.
Of course they are great smoked, The Master still talks about the chum I smoked and how good they were to snack on when I took one took on a Thompson River steelhead fishing trip a few years ago.

I will talk to you about how we BBQ them when we have coffee one day.

Old Blue

I prefer to take the skin off Chum when cooking.  Cook at a slightly lower temperature than other salmon.  Blackened with fresh fruit salsa is a favourite.  They make decent salmon cakes/burgers too that my lady likes to pull out of the freezer for a quick meal

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I prefer to take the skin off Chum when cooking.  Cook at a slightly lower temperature than other salmon.  Blackened with fresh fruit salsa is a favourite.  They make decent salmon cakes/burgers too that my lady likes to pull out of the freezer for a quick meal
Great ideas, thanks.

The river was in very good shape this AM and of course the chum were in a biting mood with more fresh run ones still showing up.

So mild out you would think we were fishing in April.

ByteMe

X2.......chum make the best candy
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

bigsnag

• Old Timer

I skin, batter, and deep fry chums for fish and chips. Yummmm

It ain't the roe bro'

fic

• Old Timer

Found a real simple recipe. Just thoroughly mix the Knorr onion roasted garlic soup mix into a bowl of mayonnaise. Spread on top of salmon and bake for 20 minutes At 450. Very flavourful, moist and easy.

koko

Found a real simple recipe. Just thoroughly mix the Knorr onion roasted garlic soup mix into a bowl of mayonnaise. Spread on top of salmon and bake for 20 minutes At 450. Very flavourful, moist and easy.
Sound like a good recipe, I am not sure do me good with that sodium guest I can just use a little.