Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just moved to vancouver help  (Read 2218 times)

ukfishermanbc

I just moved to vancouver help
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:15:44 PM »

Help me please
 i just moved to Vancouver from england and dint know anywhere to fish in ponds for fish like roach perch bream tench ect is it possible. if anyone can help i would be very gereatfull

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: I just moved to vancouver help
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:59:17 PM »

What would you do if there were no roach's :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:56:47 AM »

ukfishermanbc, unfortunately the bad news is that you will not find most of the common coarse fish species that you used to target here in BC. The only one that is somewhat abundant in lakes and sloughs is the common carp.

The good news is, you're going to have plenty of fishing opportunities on new species that many anglers from around the world come here for. Salmon, trout, steelhead and sturgeon are four kinds of freshwater fish that people commonly target in BC.

If you are still keen on doing some coarse fishing, there are still some opportunities. Between the month of May and September, the Fraser River and its tributaries are full of peamouth chub and northern pikeminnow. From Vancouver, the closest spots for these species are Garry Point Park, No. 2 Road Pier at London's Landing, No. 3 Road Pier, North Arm of the Fraser River. All these spots are in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, so you are required to purchase a tidal sportfishing licence and check the tides before heading out. Best times would be two hours before and after peak tide. If you get a high peak tide during an evening, then the fishing should be excellent.

For common carp, there are several places you may wish to try out. The canals/sloughs in Ladner, Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake, Lafarge Lake, canals/sloughs in Maple Ridge. All these spots are classified as freshwater systems, so a freshwater sportfishing licence is required.

The lakes around Vancouver are also stocked several times per year with rainbow trout. These rainbow trout range between 12 and 16 inches in length and are ready to be caught once stocked. To find out which lakes have been stocked recently, take a look at the Region 2 trout stocking database. For shore accessed lakes, I recommend Brohm Lake, Trout Lake, Deer Lake, Lafarge Lake, Sasamat Lake, Buntzen Lake, Mill Lake.

For salmon, openings and daily quotas vary between different species and locations. The Capilano River currently produces coho salmon for a few more weeks. The Chilliwack River should have chinook salmon from July til October and coho from late August until November. Chum salmon, most abundant of them all, are available on the Chilliwack River, Stave River, Squamish River, Harrison River, Chehalis River, Fraser River in October and November. For more specific information and the type of gear to use, I highly recommend you to visit either Anglers West Fly and Tackle or Berry's Bait and Tackle as both are in the Vancouver/Richmond area. You can purchase your sportfishing licences at both stores and they carry all the salmon and trout gear that you need.

If you need more information on coarse fishing at the above mentioned locations, I am putting on a fishing event on july 8th called Fish for the Future and you are welcome to come down and check out what we are catching and ask questions whenever I am available. :)

I hope this is helpful, good luck.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 06:28:15 AM »

hi, ukfishermanbc.
I suspect you are going to like Vancouver.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:03:50 PM »

where you at ? .send me an email or pm , sort something out for you even though your a sassannach  :).
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

ColinB

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 05:09:14 AM »

where you at ? .send me an email or pm , sort something out for you even though your a sassannach  :).
Hey Sandy, you're still around then?? ;D

I see the first minister for Scotland said he wouldn't be supporting England in the World Cup! ???

So the large English company planning a conference in Scotland cancelled their booking. :D
Needless to say the Scottish Tourist board were not amused!! :-[

Anyway I'm pleased to see you are taking a poor sassannach under your wing.  I hope you both catch loads!
I'm hopefully coming over again next year so perhaps you can show me a few spots to try?

Best wishes,

Colin
Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Ribwart

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 06:09:09 AM »

Welcome to Beautiful British Columbia UKFishermanbc, it should be easy to switch to the local species...me thinks you won't want to go back...

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »

Hi Colin ,still around ,getting even more rounder by the week.
what can I say about not supporting England. some folks still carry grudges.not like me to hold it against someone for their heritage even if their a Sassanach. after all we fisherfolk must stick together ;D
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!