Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259761 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #720 on: September 10, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

... they are hoodwinking the public into believing their lies on actual numbers of fish.

Go out and explore before you cry the sky is falling, cause its not, you are just being sucked into a political agenda from a corrupt government agency.

You say lies as if the DFO is intentionally reporting falsely low numbers for the purpose of denying the rec sector an opening.

I don't doubt that whatever data and models they are using to predict returns are probably subject to high uncertainty, and maybe they got it a little more wrong this year, but I would hope that at least their estimates are data driven, if maybe not their policy and decisions. I dont know if there's much transparency in how the run estimates are calculated so could be hard for a third party to confirm or refute.

Cool to hear that there is a lot pink activity up in the non-tidal though. Hopefully that bodes well for the next cycle.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #721 on: September 10, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »

Chilliwack river pink are showing up. Since the water is still low, gongs stand in the water way blocked the fish going up. The fish school had to go back and forth in the pool. Not many bite of course.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #722 on: September 10, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »

The Mission Sonar fence estimate as of Sept 7th is about 1.8 million pinks have swum past. Since Aug 31st over 100,000 pinks have swum by daily - (compare that to the Whonnock test #s); http://www.psc.org/FRPWeb/Escapement/Pink_Escapement.pdf

That is a lot of fish. Close to 1 million pinks in a week. I don't there is any other run of salmon in the river that can put so many individual fish in the river within one week and consider it's a week return.

Question is does that add up to significantly more than the 3.7 million estimate? My guess the run is more than half way competed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #723 on: September 10, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

Even if the sporties took 10k pinks.....which in no way is going to happen...it wouldn't even be considered pocket change.
Again....all politics.....no math...no science...100% BS...period.

bravo252

« Reply #724 on: September 10, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »

Even if the sporties took 10k pinks.....which in no way is going to happen...it wouldn't even be considered pocket change.
Again....all politics.....no math...no science...100% BS...period.

Agreed. They made it really clear this year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #725 on: September 10, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Veddar/Chilliwack River Report (Canal Zone - Keith Wilson Bridge Down)

So .... drove to Chilliwack this morning (Not too early), arrived around 8am in the Canal Zone.

Saw LOTS of PINKS moving through the system. 

Caught a total of 5 fish in the first 2 hours. I was using a Pink & Purple Jig -> Not under float just drifting with current.  3 Males (Semi Humpy) and 2 females.

When the Sun started shinning the Bite went off.
There were Lots of Recreational Fishermen out... which was nice to see.

If you have a chance to get out this week in the Morning, I do highly recommend it.
I saw a couple Pinks being Retained.

* I thought it was Catch & Release only?  Maybe they were misidentified as Pike Minnow?  lol

Tight Lines All!
As I said - the unofficial poaching season has begun. Some folks have no idea. Some don't care. Others armed with a deep sense of injustice will take a pink or 3 if they think they'll get away with it.

So Blair ... you didn't call this in?

Interesting to compare the opening on the Squamish with the closure on the Fraser.

Even though it was apparent it was going to be a poor year on the Squamish the Fishing advisory board headed by a Chief of the Squamish Band recommended a sport opening with a bag of 1 fish recognizing the local economic value of the sport fishery.

On the Fraser the Sport segment doesn't seem to have any relationship to either PSC, DFO, FNs or the commercial segment. End result it doesn't even get to catch a fish this year. Not a one.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:57:02 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #726 on: September 10, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »

You know... i was actually impressed. There were easily 150 guys out on that section... and i only saw (2) being kept in over 5 hrs out. Both were kept by "Old Guys".  lol

No... did not "Report this". 
I do not feel that seeing 2 pinks being kept is of a major concern.
I saw the MAJORITY of Rec Fishermen ... enjoying themselves, following the rules.  This is the norm.
No point in "painting" a picture that is not true of the reality.

Just my Opinion.

Hopefully the DFO is out doing some REAL FISHERIES MANAGEMENT for once in the past 30 years.
There's a time and place for them to be at the Vedder, it sure wasnt today.

Are you certain they kept Pinks? Maybe they kept hatchery Coho. Maybe.

Barbelface

« Reply #727 on: September 10, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »

Are you certain they kept Pinks? Maybe they kept hatchery Coho. Maybe.

Possibly hatchery coho, they were showing yesterday....

Tangles

« Reply #728 on: September 10, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »

Quite the wave of non-compliance along Tidal Fraser in the last few days. I am seeing quite a few anglers coming out of the woodwork. Interesting to see if DFO will come out with the big guns enforcing it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #729 on: September 10, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »

pretty doubtful they'd be coho this time of year. Spring jacks more likely.

150 guys, omg! and so the rationalizing begins.

Big risk is DFO may either close pinks specifically or just close the river to salmon fishing altogether.

If they don't a small limit may result in fewer dead fish due to poaching and hours of c&r. Many people will just take their fish and go home. I don't think pinks are as hardy as some other species.Always bothers me to hear of 'ethical' anglers who c&r some big number, like 70.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:26:58 PM by RalphH »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #730 on: September 10, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »

I am very interested to see what will happen next year if millions of Sockey go up the river again.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #731 on: September 10, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »

I am very interested to see what will happen next year if millions of Sockey go up the river again.

Why next year? Look up 3 years ago for the return and you will get an idea for next years return.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

zap brannigan

« Reply #732 on: September 10, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »

brought in an absolutely chrome pink this morning that had me thinking coho till i got it to hand, tons of pinks rolling in the river this morning but i was after coho had 7 to hand and 2 were hatchery.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #733 on: September 10, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »

LET THE SHOW BEGIN ;D ;D ;D

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #734 on: September 10, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

Not a single pink at sandheads today. Rain must of pushed them all up the river. Last week schools were everywhere. If I had to go with my gut Id say that pinks are done for the year out there, if thats the case the DFO estimate is probably spot on.

Will see