Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259744 times)

thorn11

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #690 on: September 08, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »

Wow dfo threw the natives right under the buss in this one. Surprised to see the
Media roll with it. 25 illigal sockeye nets in one weekend. Care to comment relph thought u said they were using larger Chinook mesh. I have been a defender of their fishery but that many non compliance in one weekend is crazy.

"He said one of the hotspots for infractions is along the Fraser between Chilliwack and Hell's Gate. There, officers seized 25 sockeye mesh gillnet last weekend alone. The nets are used specifically to entangle sockeye, and Redekopp said in all 25 instances, the fishers were from area First Nations."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/dfo-officers-step-up-salmon-fishing-enforcement-1.4273026?utm_source=Watershed+Watch+Email+List&utm_campaign=4bd4dd5e1c-Salmon_News_Sept8_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_405944b1b5-4bd4dd5e1c-166913893&mc_cid=4bd4dd5e1c&mc_eid=f28e2c3da9

Thanks so much for posting this article link. It is a reminder that First Nations and non-First Nations fishermen alike not only should face much stiffer penalties for non-compliance, but all fishermen need to take much more seriously the understanding of the laws and regulations before heading out to the fishing grounds. The future of the salmon resource is critically important.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2017, 08:34:41 AM »

Perhaps you'd like to comment on the sport fishing infractions also mentioned. Just conveniently left that out huh?

The native using prohibited gear were charged. What else is there to say?

Wow dfo threw the natives right under the buss in this one. Surprised to see the
Media roll with it. 25 illigal sockeye nets in one weekend. Care to comment relph thought u said they were using larger Chinook mesh. I have been a defender of their fishery but that many non compliance in one weekend is crazy.

"He said one of the hotspots for infractions is along the Fraser between Chilliwack and Hell's Gate. There, officers seized 25 sockeye mesh gillnet last weekend alone. The nets are used specifically to entangle sockeye, and Redekopp said in all 25 instances, the fishers were from area First Nations."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/dfo-officers-step-up-salmon-fishing-enforcement-1.4273026?utm_source=Watershed+Watch+Email+List&utm_campaign=4bd4dd5e1c-Salmon_News_Sept8_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_405944b1b5-4bd4dd5e1c-166913893&mc_cid=4bd4dd5e1c&mc_eid=f28e2c3da9
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »

Perhaps you'd like to comment on the sport fishing infractions also mentioned. Just conveniently left that out huh?

The native using prohibited gear were charged. What else is there to say?

Relph I did comment on it when Global News covered the story but conveniently left out the part about the fist nations

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=41352.165

I was out in the salt it's been park out front of the river mouth (Sand Heads) for days. Got checked by DFO yesterday. They said that they wrote 2 full books worth of tickets for barb hooks in one day. Thats Freaking pathetic I am ashamed at people that use them. They said that they were asked to come help out front to manage the recreational fishery by the officer in charge of the Steveston office. As the Chilliwack, Mission, Langley and Steveston DFO offices have all there members working around the clock managing the native fishery up river.

The vessels is operated out of Victoria. It is not a Coast Guard Vessel it is owned by DFO and manned by 3 officers that work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Coast guard provides the pilot,cook and deck hands but it's directed where it's needed by DFO. It is a mid shore vessel and they recently had two of them built in hallifax.

The river will be open for Chum and Coho, Not sure about pinks

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:03:17 AM by wildmanyeah »

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »

I guess I'll help my neighbor catch and release some more raccoons.

Awesome hahaha

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #694 on: September 09, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »

Relph I did comment on it when Global News covered the story but conveniently left out the part about the fist nations

As I said the FN people involved have been charged. Do you prefer that all FN people declare themselves virgins & then be tested for it?

- perhaps you can try to spell my name correctly  - it's right in front of your face - Ralph with an a  - who spells in with an e?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

As I said the FN people involved have been charged. Do you prefer that all FN people declare themselves virgins & then be tested for it?

- perhaps you can try to spell my name correctly  - it's right in front of your face - Ralph with an a  - who spells in with an e?

Sad to see how you have degraded into a troll and bully from being an amazing poster who used to comment on on science and habitat.

I'm out for awhile while people's hostilities calm themselves

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #696 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »

Excuse me but you singled me out to make a comment on something I know nothing about & now I am the bully & the troll?

The usual expectation I have is such requests will quickly degenerate into the usual racist notions that FN people be held to higher standards than everyone else.

Birkenhead

« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »

I'm out for awhile while people's hostilities calm themselves

It is unfortunate that this forum has degraded so much in recent months. Although Rodney would probably prefer to simply shut down the forum, that would be a tremendous loss as there is a wealth of valuable fishing info - dating back for years.

As Rodney is always busy with other projects, perhaps it is time for him to have a couple of moderators who have the time and non-bias attitude to help keep this forum free of the constant infighting and hostilities toward each other - and to especially, one specific user group.

samw

« Reply #698 on: September 09, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »

I think he was referring to the 2nd hot spot in the article which you left out:

"Aboard the CCGS M. Charles M.B., a team of three DFO officers and their colleagues from the Coast Guard prepare to patrol the second hot spot for violations — the ocean near the mouth of the Fraser."

But that's fine.  I knew what your focus was. 

Yeah, I thought it was weird too why you kept calling him "Relph".

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »

Not even a 1 week opening with a retention of 1 fish ? It's sad. It's clear how far down the ladder we all are in the eyes of DFO. On The surface the numbers look good to me. Much better than the Squamish.

Looks like 184 last set ? Just sayin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:31:13 PM by Hike_and_fish »

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »

I also feel the forum has degraded over the last few months. Why don't the moderators identify the worst offenders and ban them from the forum. I'd be more than happy to nominate some of the worst offenders. Maybe we could conduct a poll. Another possibility would be to set up a separate discussion arena on FWR just for those who like to take shots at each other.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

samw

« Reply #701 on: September 09, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »

I also feel the forum has degraded over the last few months. Why don't the moderators identify the worst offenders and ban them from the forum. I'd be more than happy to nominate some of the worst offenders. Maybe we could conduct a poll. Another possibility would be to set up a separate discussion arena on FWR just for those who like to take shots at each other.

It's been that way as far as I can remember, at the start of every season.  We can click on the "Report to moderator" link whenever a post is offensive.  Once in a while, offensive posts do get removed but not as much as I would like to see.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:51:43 PM by samw »

Birkenhead

« Reply #702 on: September 09, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »

I also feel the forum has degraded over the last few months.

Why don't the moderators identify the worst offenders and ban them from the forum.

The problem being is that the listed moderators have no real daily presence on these forums and which is fair enough as work, family life etc come first. Many other forums I participate in have moderators whom interact daily on the forums and also shutdown offenders and threads as soon as they start to spiral out of control.

I'd be more than happy to nominate some of the worst offenders. Maybe we could conduct a poll.

I am sure we all have our own ideas on whom the worst offenders are, but a poll can be completely self defeating as your very own name may end up on that poll - and not that I am suggesting that you should be.

Another possibility would be to set up a separate discussion arena on FWR just for those who like to take shots at each other.

One thing to think about. You would be posting shots to an anonymous person who really may not be who you think he or she really is. As the sage adage goes: On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. That said, like most here, I post under a handle but would not hesitate to reveal my real name to Rodney if he asked via PM.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #703 on: September 09, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »

It doesn't take Einstein to know that the recent 'hostility' between sport fishers is due to not being out there fishing at this time of the season for pinks. It is called 'addiction withdrawal syndrome'. We are addicted to having so much fun with the pink fishery in the past, and now this... Be careful and take it easy on our loved ones too guys. Expect the withdrawal syndrome to last till the Vedder fishing picks up.  ;D ;D ;D

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #704 on: September 09, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »

Someone who treats his loved ones poorly because of a lack of fishing opportunities needs to reassess their priorities. I believe it's time for me to withdraw from the fray. I'll check in occasionally to see if anyone is talking about fishing in a friendly manner. I'm going to miss Milo most
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:17:52 PM by JBB »
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play