Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259767 times)

fossil

• I'm a llama!
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #615 on: September 05, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

lots of pink rolling near No.3 rd, now.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #616 on: September 05, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »

No reason why the Chilliwack Vedder does not open for those that like to fish pinks.
Salmon fishing is open in the Chilliwack/Vedder, although closed for retention of pinks c&r is still allowed.  At least as of Saturday there were a few pinks in the river, but by no means are they plentiful.  Of the fish I did see - both in the lower and upper river - many were already quite dark - big humped out males and females with striped bellies.  Yes, this has been a disappointing pink season, but let's DFO can resist pressures and decides to let these fish spawn in peace, so the next cycle won't be nearly as bad.  In the mean time, I will be enjoying a river that is less crowded by both non-targeted fish and inexperienced anglers. 

Maybe this year will be a step forward for angler education levels, as everyone will have to work a little harder for their catch and a lack of easy targets will cause many to give up.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »

Many 'boatless 'people buy the tidal license for the Fraser Pink fishery. No one thinks that they can catch a sockeye with the pink lure in tidal Fraser except the DFO 'fishing experts' with their silly and un-based conclusion. Perhaps we should have a poll on that to see the possibility of such a rare occurrence. Perhaps another demonstration fishing with pink lure to prove the ignorance of DFO and their 'experts'. To regulate a fishery based on such rare occurrence to shut down so many who have purchased the tidal license purely for the tidal Fraser pink is really what infuriates people. Perhaps DFO should allow people to cancel their license to get a refund. Such restriction on recreational fishery is not based on actual result on the fishing ground, but based on imagination of those DFO 'experts' or head honchos who don't fish a day in their life and have no business deciding the fishing opportunities of so many who are much more in touch with the reality on the tidal Fraser fishery. Why don't they just ask the actual experts on tidal Fraser like Rod on the likelihood of hitting or killing a sockeye while target pinks? Lol.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:34:07 PM by Steelhawk »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »

No reason why the Chilliwack Vedder does not open for those that like to fish pinks.

Same goes for the Harrison. But my instincts tell me since they're all connected to the Fraser system, the current lawsuit against the feds has something to do with it.  I can fish for them in the salt at the mouth but not in the Fraser? Something is fishy  ;)

DFO manages the Fraser pinks as one big stock. Pinks do not adhere to the same 'homing' instinct on their return spawning run as other salmon. Substantial % will spawn pretty much anywhere.

Both the Vedder and the Harrison have sockeye runs - the Weaver creek run starts to show now and the Cultus Lake stock is at a concern level. Both can be successfully targeted with sport fishing methods.

Most of the pinks in the lower Harrison in early to mid Sept will actually spawn in the Fraser.

As for fishing for springs and pinks happening in the salt - that's what happens when you are at the end of the line. You get the last kick at the cat.

FWIW I don't think we'll see an opening for a week or so provided the escapement past Mission exceeds 1 to 1.5 million. That's one of the things you get for turning the pink fishery into a carnival circus.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:49:58 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »

DFO manages the Fraser pinks as one big stock. Pinks do not adhere to the same 'homing' instinct on their return spawning run as other salmon. Substantial % will spawn pretty much anywhere.  That's one of the things you get for turning the pink fishery into a carnival circus.

Where's the like button? ;)

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »

Will someone please tell the morons at dfo who call the shots, sockeye DO NOT GET CAUGHT in the tidal Fraser by anglers casting for pinks. This bs is beyond ridiculous now...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »

Will someone please tell the morons at dfo who call the shots, sockeye DO NOT GET CAUGHT in the tidal Fraser by anglers casting for pinks. This bs is beyond ridiculous now...

Maybe DFO have found a way to catch sockeyes on the Lower Fraser :o

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #622 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »

During the Fraser Panel call today, the run size for pink salmon was reduced
from the previous provisional run size of 4.8 million to 4.5 million with
August 23 run timing. The most recent pink stock identification samples
analyzed for Areas 12 and 20 purse seine test fisheries indicate Fraser origin
pink salmon comprise 75% and 71%, respectively. Based on a pink run size of 4.5
million the US total allowable catch has been achieved during the most recent
fisheries.

The Department is receiving questions regarding the possibility of recreational
fishery openings for chinook and/or pink salmon in the Fraser River.  At this
time management measures in place are aimed at limiting impacts on Fraser
sockeye while allowing First Nations food, social and ceremonial fisheries,
directed on other species, to occur.  DFO will continue to monitor the
migration of sockeye through the marine areas and the Fraser River and will
consider an opening for pink salmon when it is determined that impacts of an in-
river recreational fishery would be minimal for sockeye.  As Late Run sockeye
can demonstrate holding behaviour in the lower river and off the river mouth,
such an opportunity is likely not to occur in the immediate future. Due to
significantly reduced FSC harvest for First Nations this year, with very low
harvests of both sockeye and chinook to date, DFO is not considering opening
additional recreational chinook fisheries in the river at this time to provide
for priority access for First Nations FSC fisheries.  For information on
current recreational fishery opportunities for chinook in other areas please

santefe

« Reply #623 on: September 05, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »

Were does it say that area 29-9 and 29-10 are open.
I've been searching the DFO site but can't find anything about it.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #624 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »

We'll have to set our sights lower than pinks.  Chums are becoming the new pinks  ;D

sockeyed

« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »

Next PSC meeting is in Friday so no Fraser openings this week. With the way today's report was worded I'm pretty pessimistic on an opening during the peak of this weak run.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »

Next PSC meeting is in Friday so no Fraser openings this week. With the way today's report was worded I'm pretty pessimistic on an opening during the peak of this weak run.

Didn't someone earlier say the intended escapement is 6 million pinks? With the current estimated run size of 4.5million, why would there be a sport opening for pinks at all?

samw

« Reply #627 on: September 05, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »

Were does it say that area 29-9 and 29-10 are open.
I've been searching the DFO site but can't find anything about it.

There was a similar closure in 2013 and some disagreement on the other fishing forums where it was said by someone that only a small part of Garry Point was open and people will get ticketed by the officers outside that area while I said that the entire 29-9 was open because 29-9 was excluded in the Fishery Notice back then (2013: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=153083&ID=all)

So I contacted the DFO resource manager Mr. B Matts for clarification in 2013 and he said that 29-9 is not part of the tidal Fraser River closure. You can fish basically anywhere in 29-9 based on the regulations below.  Of course, everyone is encouraged to contact DFO themselves for clarification.

See here for Area 29 openings and closures.  Notice Area 29-9 is closed for retention of Chinook and Sockeye but is open for retention of Chum, Coho, and Pink.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:39:08 AM by samw »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #628 on: September 05, 2017, 10:27:29 PM »

DFO is not considering opening additional recreational chinook fisheries in the river at this time to provide for priority access for First Nations FSC fisheries. WTF

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #629 on: September 05, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »

I guess we know where everyone is going tomorrow... ;D It should be a dandy from 4pm to sundown. I look forward to see some pics. ;)