Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259831 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2017, 08:40:32 AM »

A nice spike in area 12 test numbers, 2136 sockeye and 3698 pinks.

http://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area12PSsummary.PDF

#s dropped to 715 for pinks. Few taken in the Fraser. My guess is there are not many in the lower river presently. Combined total for Juan de Fuca and Area 12 this year is much lower than '15.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2017, 09:22:00 AM »

#s dropped to 715 for pinks. Few taken in the Fraser. My guess is there are not many in the lower river presently. Combined total for Juan de Fuca and Area 12 this year is much lower than '15.

Yeah when i was doing some graphing at home its looks to be close to 2005, 2007 numbers, and now it looks to be even lower then that 

My rule of thumb for fishing sockeye and pink in the Fraser used to be, Not to bother going out until the Whonnic gillnet cough over 100-150 in a day. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:26:04 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »

total Whonnock catch to date is 282, an average of 11 per day. Average since the 21st when the #s started to go up is 25. Best total to date is 61.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2017, 01:53:06 PM »

I think the PSC report today will tells us how things look for an opening next week.

Checked with my local fishing store to see if they have heard anything (they get consulted/advised a few days before) - they have heard nothing.

sockeyed

« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »

My rule of thumb for fishing sockeye and pink in the Fraser used to be, Not to bother going out until the Whonnic gillnet cough over 100-150 in a day.

There wasn't a single day in 2015 where whonock was over 100 pinks, but there was still some decent days. I wouldn't expect many if any this year either.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #575 on: August 31, 2017, 05:32:35 PM »

no mention of an opening for the weekend. Forecast of 4.8 million is unchanged.

Tangles

« Reply #576 on: August 31, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »

They have already officially said that there will be NO consideration of openings before Labour Day.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:21:24 PM by Tangles »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #577 on: August 31, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »

Not missing anything anyways. Having a family picnic at the river and haven't seen a single fish roll. :-\

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #578 on: August 31, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »

Run Status
DNA analysis of a fish sample recently collected from the Area 12 purse seine test fishery indicated Fraser
sockeye contributions of approximately 2% Early Summer-run, 52% Summer-run and 46% Late-run sockeye.
Analyses of recent DNA samples collected from the Area 12 test fishery indicate that 68% of the pink salmon
encountered are of Fraser River origin, 2% are from Puget Sound, and 30% are from South Coast stocks.
The estimated diversion rates of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon through Johnstone Strait have increased since
last week to 97% and 72%, respectively, based on recent purse seine test fishery catches in the two approach areas.

At the meeting today, the currently
adopted pink salmon run-size estimate of 4,800,000 fish, with a 50% marine timing through Area
20 of August 24, was left unchange
d.

Fraser River Pink Salmon
At Monday’s meeting, the Panel adopted an interim pink run size estimate for management purposes of 4,800,000
with a 50% peak migration timing through Juan de Fuca Strait of August 24. The estimated escapement of pink
salmon past Mission through August 30 is 785,100 fish.

the Area 12 test fishery indicate that 68% of the pink salmon
encountered are of Fraser River origin, 2% are from Puget Sound, and 30% are from South Coast stocks.

Based on very low sockeye encounter rates along the Juan de Fuca migration route, fisheries directed at Fraser
River pink salmon continued in U.S. Fraser River Panel waters this week. As announced, Treaty Indian fisheries
were opened with sockeye retention for ceremonial and subsistence purposes only. All Citizen reef-net fisheries

http://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-weekly-reports/

My Opinion:

Based on a area 20 peak run time of August 24, I would say peak for the Lower Fraser to be September 5-10. The recent crash in pink numbers is a bit concerning. If numbers don't pick up over the long weekend expect them to drop the forecast come tuesday. Every year you can see there is 3 distinct bumps these must be associated with different runs. Tho I dont believe the PSC does DNA for pink so not sure what systems they are associated with.

The graph below is every 4 years because I did a sockeye and chinook graph at the same time.  So I used every 4 years

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:15:14 PM by wildmanyeah »

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #579 on: September 01, 2017, 12:33:36 AM »

Dispatched a Pink doe over the weekend on the Squamish that was riddled with parasites. The fish was in bad shape with bulging eyes...Over the past few years been seeing this more and more across all species and bodies of water.

Whatever is happening is preventing a lot of fish from reaching spawning grounds and passing on to other fish as well...

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #580 on: September 01, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »

Dispatched a Pink doe over the weekend on the Squamish that was riddled with parasites. The fish was in bad shape with bulging eyes...Over the past few years been seeing this more and more across all species and bodies of water.

Whatever is happening is preventing a lot of fish from reaching spawning grounds and passing on to other fish as well...
Any pictures?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #581 on: September 01, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »

Did the fish look good before you killed it?  None of the ones I kept this season had that problem.   Quite a few zombies on the river in the shallows yesterday.  Some off chrome fish still around.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #582 on: September 01, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »

Dave know the cause. :-X :P

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #583 on: September 01, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »

Absolutely - caused by the recent eclipse  ;D

Sinaran

« Reply #584 on: September 01, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »

The fukushima incident's aftermath?
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!