Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259744 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #375 on: August 14, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »

many people cast too far out so most of the drift or the swing isn't 'in the zone' as some say. The fish are basically 10 to 40 feet out & no more

So true, saw a tonne of fish hooked right at the next guy's feet.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #376 on: August 14, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »

A what seal? ::)

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »

Rodney, I think Aaron is correct. That's the full term in most fishing handbooks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #378 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »

IMO, The Squamish pinks are not late. There is just way less fish compared to the last 3 seasons.  I don't buy the theory they are 2 weeks late.  The test fish counts should be increasing, but it is flat to decreasing if you look at the area 12 seine test.

I concur

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #379 on: August 14, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply! What I meant to ask is why the fly fishermen do better than the float fishermen when they're both using the same types of flies. I figure it's something to do with either the technique or presentation... that's why I thought adjusting the weights to get a slower sink on the fly might help. No, nothing to do with the flossing comment above. Appreciate your suggestions :D

Mainly presentation.  Pretty difficult to replicate the presentation of a fly line with a sinking tip with that of a float and weight.  You could hold back on your drift to try and replicate this but the float has much more drag in the water and you will find that your presentation will be going towards the shore a bit too quickly.  Remember that in these murky conditions, you basically have to shove the fly in front of their faces in order to get a bite.  Technically you are swinging the fly downstream in order to present it to as many fish as possible and for the longest period as possible (by stripping in as well)  Statistically speaking, the more fish and the longer the time  that you present a fly to, the greater the chance of getting a bite.  If you are just float fishing like you would on the vedder with bait or lure, the fly would just zing right by any fish that happens to swim in the path of your drift.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:56:14 PM by Stratocaster »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #380 on: August 14, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »

Rodney, I think Aaron is correct. That's the full term in most fishing handbooks.

hmm,  strange because when I was fishing there on the weekend, the seals seem more interested in food than fornicating

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:01:52 PM by Stratocaster »

pkan

« Reply #381 on: August 14, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »

Does anyone know what the bc regulations are for using slingshots on seals (with the intent to scare them away rather than to injure)?  Are they allowed or prohibited?  And will this depend on whether you are on land vs the ocean?

Birkenhead

« Reply #382 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »

Does anyone know what the bc regulations are for using slingshots on seals (with the intent to scare them away rather than to injure)?  Are they allowed or prohibited?  And will this depend on whether you are on land vs the ocean?

Pretty sure seals are still protected under the fisheries act so using a slingshot is not advised. Whether you like it or not, seals are part of the ecosystem and should not be singled out just so that you can fish.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #383 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »

The regulations say that you're a monster if you do that. Speaking as a fellow angler, we've already got enough PR problems.

On a side note, how long do you think before someone's cellphone video of you plinking at seals appears on Youtube, followed by a feature on CBC News, then a visit from DFO/FLNRO? :P

bobby b

« Reply #384 on: August 14, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »

Seriously?!? You shouldn't even have to ask.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:24:19 PM by bobby b »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #385 on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »

the are protected under the Sea Mammal Protection Act - you can be charged for using a slingshot on any large game animal in BC
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #386 on: August 14, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »

the Area 12 Seine for this year is tracking pretty much on par with 2015 excepting the big spike around the 24th and 25th of July 2015. My guess is that spike was caused by fish returning to Campbell River. 2015 was not a great year.

In an attempt to brush up on my Excel skills I've graphing this year, 2015 & 2013. At some point I'll try to post the graphs.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TimL

« Reply #387 on: August 14, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »

The regulations say that you're a monster if you do that. Speaking as a fellow angler, we've already got enough PR problems.

On a side note, how long do you think before someone's cellphone video of you plinking at seals appears on Youtube, followed by a feature on CBC News, then a visit from DFO/FLNRO? :P
not to mention the online lynching by the anti-hunting/ fishing vegans and furry animal lovers on social media..lol  :P

pkan

« Reply #388 on: August 14, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

The Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) applies only to USA.  The Marine Mammal Regulations (Canada) does not prohibit the use of slingshots on seals

Rather than make assumptions, I prefer to ask the question.  I am not saying nor am I implying it is the moral thing to do.  I am specifically asking if it is legal or illegal to use slingshots on seals.  It appears that I may not get the answer.  I suspect the COs may not know this either.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #389 on: August 14, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »

I was the only person I saw hook up mid day on Saturday at Furry and a fucking Seal was waiting underwater and got my fish.. was a big chrome jumping fish too... :(.. I am beginning to wonder if maybe they are spooked from Seals and not biting.. we saw fish surfacing in front of us so close but they wouldn't bite.. Seals all over too. Same at other river mouths I won't mentioned.. more Seals than fish... I think the Seal problem is real. Might explain the quickly degrading bottom fishing around the local ocean the past few years, and this summer particularly? Idk but there seems to be sooooo many Seals around.. and not many fish these days

Seems logical to me to start eating seals.  :-\