Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259832 times)

stsfisher

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #360 on: August 13, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »

I love how they have a single sign that says no parking on Highway 99 with a single arrow pointed towards Whistler. How would you even see that sign if you parked more than 100 feet away?

http://www.roadrules.ca/content/curbside-parking

The safest assumption to make about the “law of parking” is that unless parking is expressly, by signage, permitted, it is prohibited. Usually, however, whether public or private, “No Parking” signage is easy to find.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

Best I know you can't  park with your wheels on the paved portion of a highway shoulder. The Police might not bother an angler parks on the shoulder depending on the extent of use. The popularity of Furry Creek however has been attracting much negative attention.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »

Fished Squamish 5-7 today ... 1st hour slow but some pushing through after 6pm. Landed 4 lost 4. On both pink and green flies. Water pretty coloured up.. maybe 6-7 inches vis .

hillmonkey

« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

fished the Squamish from around 9am - 4pm in a few different spots, was super slow today. Only saw a few people catch fish. Still a lot of people fishing the Mamquam, obviously not knowing the regulations or just don't care.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »

Fished the Squamish on Fri with a float setup. Tried a variety of sizes of flies in both pink and green. No luck for me but the fly fishermen were catching most of the fish. So what's the difference between swinging a fly and floating one, if we're both using the same fly?

I had about a 30" leader, 30g float, most of the weight right under the float, with a few tiny split shots down the line with the last one 6" from the fly. Should I move the weights up closer to the float so the fly sinks more slowly? Do I want the fly to sink more slowly so it spends more time closer to the surface? I had it weighted so that the fly sank quickly and rode 1-2' feet above the bottom like for steelhead. Is that fine or do I want the fly closer to the surface for pinks? Or maybe it doesn't matter and it just wasn't my day to catch a fish? Thanks!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #365 on: August 14, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »

IMO, The Squamish pinks are not late. There is just way less fish compared to the last 3 seasons.  I don't buy the theory they are 2 weeks late.  The test fish counts should be increasing, but it is flat to decreasing if you look at the area 12 seine test.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #366 on: August 14, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »

No fish at furry creek this morning, seen 1 roll

Definately slow run this year

TimL

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2017, 07:46:21 AM »

IMO, The Squamish pinks are not late. There is just way less fish compared to the last 3 seasons.  I don't buy the theory they are 2 weeks late.  The test fish counts should be increasing, but it is flat to decreasing if you look at the area 12 seine test.

IME most of the time, this is what the case is when anglers complain a run is late. I also think the last couple of pink cycles the fish were either earlier than usual or the early component of the run was much larger than usual.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »

Fished the Squamish on Fri with a float setup. Tried a variety of sizes of flies in both pink and green. No luck for me but the fly fishermen were catching most of the fish. So what's the difference between swinging a fly and floating one, if we're both using the same fly?

I had about a 30" leader, 30g float, most of the weight right under the float, with a few tiny split shots down the line with the last one 6" from the fly. Should I move the weights up closer to the float so the fly sinks more slowly? Do I want the fly to sink more slowly so it spends more time closer to the surface? I had it weighted so that the fly sank quickly and rode 1-2' feet above the bottom like for steelhead. Is that fine or do I want the fly closer to the surface for pinks? Or maybe it doesn't matter and it just wasn't my day to catch a fish? Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by this question. If you are referring to someone saying above it sounds like flossing - your rig doesn't sound like a flossing rig to me.

Why did the fly guys get fish while you didn't? I can only speak for myself. I cast very much downstream, at least a 45 degree angle or less to the shore. I work the swing as slow as I can. When the line hangs more or less directly down stream I strip it back and it's not a fast strip. What I try to acheive is to hang the fly in front and above the fish for as long as I can as they move upstream. They are not that deep and they don't swim that fast. Pink salmon like to chase or follow the fly. They will often snap it a time or two before actually grabbing it. I hope this helps.

bobby b

« Reply #370 on: August 14, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »

I agree with the above. I too  cast downstream at 45. I had success yesterday while others on each side of me did not .... biggest difference IMO is that they were standing way too far out and casting too far out. All the fish I got into were in about 2-3 ft of water. When the water is really coloured, Pinks are in close ... really close.  Just downriver below me I could see rollers, I stepped back towards shore and cast so my swing came almost into that spot. Everyone that waded in stepped right into the spot where the fish were!!
 I even told 'em "your standing right on them" ... no one listened. Even when I was catching fish behind them!!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »

Not sure what you mean by this question. If you are referring to someone saying above it sounds like flossing - your rig doesn't sound like a flossing rig to me.

Thanks for the reply! What I meant to ask is why the fly fishermen do better than the float fishermen when they're both using the same types of flies. I figure it's something to do with either the technique or presentation... that's why I thought adjusting the weights to get a slower sink on the fly might help. No, nothing to do with the flossing comment above. Appreciate your suggestions :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2017, 08:35:43 AM »

As bobby b says above many people cast too far out so most of the drift or the swing isn't 'in the zone' as some say. The fish are basically 10 to 40 feet out & no more. Watch where most of the fish roll & that will help determine where their travel paths are. I suggest you shorten the amount of line under the float and be sure to let it hang below you at the end of the drift. If you watch most good anglers using a short float presentation they slow the drift down as it goes below them and then let it hang for several seconds before pulling it it back in for another cast

BananasQ

« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »

I tend to agree - although I have been going in "sub optimal" times but during those 8 hours or so I have watched myself and at least 20 anglers around me catch a total of 2 fish. That's 2 fish in 160 angling-hours, pretty lousy returns. There are still the rich veins, but it is very much famine or feast and a lot more famine than feast at the moment.  To be honest, this is what was predicted, I just don't think we wanted to believe it. And likewise, this isnt going to stop me going a few more times!

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #374 on: August 14, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »

Very strange year. I didnt touch a single fish at furry the entire month of July but I was getting 10-25 fish days in Squamish.  Last week furry creek was really good yet Squamish is not producing. ??? ??? :-\ :-\