Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259759 times)

BananasQ

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »

I'm heading to the Squamish tomorrow - if anyone sees a guy with a gaggle of kids (some of them obviously not his) and sporting a weird english accent come over and say Hi - would be nice to meet some of the people from this forum IRL.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »

Thanks for the video. looks a lot of fishermen who run their small business there.

bobby b

« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »

Ok... chiming in here... Not bashing just want to educate.

I really recommend the use of a net!! In the first video above the fish is 'beached' ... fine if it is gonna get bonked...

BUT if you are gonna let it go, the 'beaching' of the fish is hard on the fish ..it flops around on the rocks...kinda knocking itself out, also, any sand and grit there, will lodge into it's gills ...that would suck ( for the fish ). Imagine flopping around on the rocks and at the same time crap is getting into your lungs!!  Not exactly 'releasing with care'

The second video.... you can see where a net would have been handy e.

Fish on

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »

Blair saw you walk in this morning.  I was about 100m below you.    If I had known it was you  would have said hi.  I left around 6 because the visibility was so poor.  The Mamquam has chalked up pretty badly and visibility on the Squish is approx.  6 to 10 inches.   To easy to snag fish accidentally swinging a fly so I left for furry.  Hope the temperatures drop and the river clears a bit.

bobby b

« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »

Appreciate your point of view. Very Much.  And certainly not taken out of context.

I would say that: "Could the release(s) have been even more "Perfect"?   Yes
However, what was done is well within good practice.

No fish were "Backed Up" over a beach or rocks.  One went around a brush still in the water. Both swam away nicely.

By the way.... when salmon start their runs into the rivers, they usually go through: Silt, Run up over rocks and falls.... manage to wind between logs and trees, battle Seals, Bears etc.  A small amount of Sand passing through their Gills is NO WAY SIMILAR to having some sand enter INTO human lungs.  Totally different.  Not arguing the point -> Just clarifying that sand particles will pass through fishes gills regularly.

While... fishing for Chinny's and Coho's i will always bring a net.  However,  the location we were fishing really did'nt necessitate the need in my opinion.

Again,  appreciate the Post and comments.
Will fish on.....

8) \m/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:58 AM »

I was fishing in the Brakendale area yesterday am & visibility was over a foot. I had no trouble fair hooking a number of good fish on a chartreuse and pink Clouser, some still had sea lice. Left just after 11 and checked out Furry - very slow by then. Pink salmon on the BBQ last night!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

matrix111

« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »

What species can I fish at the vedder this weekend? As i understand chinook and chum are ok for retention. Pinks are still closed for retention but can i do catch and release?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »

What species can I fish at the vedder this weekend? As i understand chinook and chum are ok for retention. Pinks are still closed for retention but can i do catch and release?
Don't catch and release any sockeye. There is also rainbow trout, white fish, crawfish.

matrix111

« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

Understand no sockeye. So other salmon is fine?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »

Furry still slow, squamish is good if you can dial in with the right swing or fly.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »

Understand no sockeye. So other salmon is fine?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River)    upstream from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m downstream of the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek.    All    Apr 01 to Mar 31    No fishing for salmon.
from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to fishing boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River.    

Coho    Jul 01 to Mar 31    4 hatchery marked fish per day.
Chinook    Jul 01 to Aug 31    4 per day, only 1 over 62 cm.
Sep 01 to Dec 31    4 per day, only 2 over 62 cm.
Chum    Jul 01 to Dec 31    1 per day.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »

Don't catch and release any sockeye. There is also rainbow trout, white fish, crawfish.

unlikely that there will be pinks there as yet ... still some red springs though they may be getting a little booty.
Rainbows are your best bet.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »

Ditto... i am having greater success on small very sparsly tied flies

sockeyed

« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »

Visibility has been a major issue this season.  Funny thing is that the smallest fly's are working but the Bright Hardware is doing nothing.  One would "Think" it to be the opposite.

Agree with the visibility issue. However, I have been having great luck with orange/cerise crocs. Different sizes in different types of water. All sizes have produced for me, 1/8th to 3/8th, often times outproducing fly guys around me.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »

Agree with the visibility issue. However, I have been having great luck with orange/cerise crocs. Different sizes in different types of water. All sizes have produced for me, 1/8th to 3/8th, often times outproducing fly guys around me.
I also had success with spoons. It just depends on the individual and what works for that person either flies or lures.  Sometimes lure guys out produces fly chuckers.  But I have to admit, the most prolific fly chucker will outproduce the most prolific lure chucker.