Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259792 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »

since people are referring to the pinks salmon test fishing results I looked at PSC reports for 2015.

Report #7 (Aug 21 2015) list Aug 29th as the historic median date for Fraser Pink Salmon migration through the San Juan Strait. It's still early to expect test results to indicate how good or bad the return will be. Remember too there are other systems with sizable Pink returns - the Squamish, The Campbell, Broughton Archipelago & Puget Sound, many of which return earlier than the Fraser.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »

Squamish River's pink salmon fishing regulations have been changed, starting tomorrow:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=199099&ID=all

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »

Removed.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:07:17 PM by fic »

Ambassador

« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »

Squamish River's pink salmon fishing regulations have been changed, starting tomorrow:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=199099&ID=all
Ugh.
It's gonna be as tight as a dolphin's blowhole on the Squamish bar this weekend.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »

Well really, the Mam isn't that much real estate to shut down. Curious to know why they did though.

sockeyed

« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »

If the water clarity on the Squamish proper is as bad as some people mentioned then maybe there were some questionable ethics happening higher up in the muddy water?

Does anyone know the current clarity of the main squamish river? Also what clarity is considered decent for lures ?

Ambassador

« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »

Well really, the Mam isn't that much real estate to shut down. Curious to know why they did though.
Yeah - it is only a couple hundred meters - but it sure holds a lot of anglers this time of year. Must be very few Pinks showing up in the spawning grounds.

The Mamquam (below the train bridge) is still open for Hatchery Coho though ::) 

And - depending on how the regs are interpreted - one could also fish ABOVE the train bridge for Pinks (if they were not so hell-bent on bringing home a fish). One version of the regs insinuates you can catch and release what you like up there (oh and keep a hatchery Coho - AKA Mamquam unicorn)

Here is the contradicting info I'm referring to:

Region 2 Salmon Regs:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html
States:
Mamquam River    Coho   Apr 01 to Mar 31   1 hatchery marked fish per day.
                                All              Apr 01 to Mar 31   Bait ban.
downstream of the CN rail bridge   
                               Pink           Aug. 1 2017 until further notice   No fishing for pink salmon (per FN0749)

Then when you click the link to the fisheries notice (http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=199099&ID=all) - it states:

Effective dates:
Effective 00:01 hours August 1, 2017 until further notice, there is no fishing
for pink salmon in the following waters:

Mamquam and Cheakamus Rivers, and Squamish River above the powerline at 9 mile.

Squamish River below the powerline at 9 mile remains open to the retention of
pink salmon with a daily limit of one (1) per day until further notice.

Soooo... NO fishing in the Mamquam for Pinks, or no fishing downstream of the CN Rail bridge for Pinks?

And sorry, I'm Canadian (very familiar with the Squamish Valley) but don't speak in miles - where is this "Powerline at 9 mile"? Is that the one near Judd Road? Just past the Cheakamus confluence? Powerhouse Channel past the Ashlu? 9 miles from what?
If you want to constrain people to certain areas - you need to get some better descriptions going (not that anyone fishes anywhere but "the spot" anyway  :P).

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »

And sorry, I'm Canadian (very familiar with the Squamish Valley) but don't speak in miles - where is this "Powerline at 9 mile"? Is that the one near Judd Road? Just past the Cheakamus confluence? Powerhouse Channel past the Ashlu? 9 miles from what?
If you want to constrain people to certain areas - you need to get some better descriptions going (not that anyone fishes anywhere but "the spot" anyway  :P).

According to Rod's anwser on FB, it is those Powerlines at the end of Judd Road in Fishermans' park.  There is a nice spot just above the powerlines lol.  This is not an ideal start to the Pink Season..

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:26:32 PM by fic »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

best I recall pinks were usually closed above the Cheak in past seasons.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:29:26 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Big Green Machine

« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »

Yeah - it is only a couple hundred meters - but it sure holds a lot of anglers this time of year. Must be very few Pinks showing up in the spawning grounds.

The Mamquam (below the train bridge) is still open for Hatchery Coho though ::) 

And - depending on how the regs are interpreted - one could also fish ABOVE the train bridge for Pinks (if they were not so hell-bent on bringing home a fish). One version of the regs insinuates you can catch and release what you like up there (oh and keep a hatchery Coho - AKA Mamquam unicorn)

Here is the contradicting info I'm referring to:

Region 2 Salmon Regs:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html
States:
Mamquam River    Coho   Apr 01 to Mar 31   1 hatchery marked fish per day.
                                All              Apr 01 to Mar 31   Bait ban.
downstream of the CN rail bridge   
                               Pink           Aug. 1 2017 until further notice   No fishing for pink salmon (per FN0749)

Then when you click the link to the fisheries notice (http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=199099&ID=all) - it states:

Effective dates:
Effective 00:01 hours August 1, 2017 until further notice, there is no fishing
for pink salmon in the following waters:

Mamquam and Cheakamus Rivers, and Squamish River above the powerline at 9 mile.

Squamish River below the powerline at 9 mile remains open to the retention of
pink salmon with a daily limit of one (1) per day until further notice.

Soooo... NO fishing in the Mamquam for Pinks, or no fishing downstream of the CN Rail bridge for Pinks?

Do Coho like Pink jigs and flies? If so, you might have a point for catch and release pinks. Lol

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2017, 06:52:32 PM »

Does anyone know the current clarity of the main squamish river?

I was up there today.   The main Squamish is too thick to drink, too thin to plow. 

No fish evident in the Mamquam and few fishing there.

Some very bright fish being caught in the Squamish below Mamquam, but very few.

Stopped at Furry Creek and most of the parking has been closed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:03:13 PM by VAGAbond »

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »

Do you mean the parking by the highway? How did they close it?

Tangles

« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »

Another great news from an already stellar season!
Now sarcasm aside, what part of the parking is closed, all along the fence or by the townhomes?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

Do you mean the parking by the highway? How did they close it?

There is a pullout on the water side of the southbound lanes next to the golf course.   Two years ago many folks parked north of there along the highway when the few places in the pullout were full.   It is now posted as no parking from the pullout north by a highway posting at the pullout.

When the pullout and the highway was full, I often parked across the highway next to post boxes on the northbound Furry Creek access road and then crossed under the highway by the pedestrian tunnel.    The roadside parking was closed with traffic cones north of the post boxes.

Now sarcasm aside, what part of the parking is closed, all along the fence or by the townhomes?

You must park somewhere I am unfamiliar with.   Parking by townhomes?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »

According to Rod's anwser on FB, it is those Powerlines at the end of Judd Road in Fishermans' park.  There is a nice spot just above the powerlines lol.  This is not an ideal start to the Pink Season..

9 mile refers to the mileage markers on the Squamish Valley FSR. There is a power line crossing about 1 mile above the Cheakamus confluence. See google earth. That could it but I haven't been up that way in so long I don't know for sure