Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259737 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »

Hatchery reproduction of anadromous salmon and trout has proven to offer an endless set of diminishing returns. While hatcheries did produce astonishing returns when they first entered production the last generation has seen a spiral of costs per adult fish returned.They are a bad investment.

My guess is a soon as you tell people you are going to charge them an extra $50 to $100 a year to increase hacthery production, they'll just give up angling.

As it is the angling opportunities mentioned above - like squamish pinks & Fraser chinook have primarily been supported by wild stocks not hatchery stocks.

It seems better to put money into habitat imporvements and better enforcement.

BINGO!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »

While hatcheries did produce astonishing returns when they first entered production the last generation has seen a spiral of costs per adult fish returned.

Do you know why/how?

As well, isn't part of the problem lack of food sources in the ocean itself? I mean you can send as many fishies out to sea as you like, but if there's no food for them they'll just die anyway, right?  So thI answer may not lie in more hatchery production.

But this is above my paygrade...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »

Hatchery reproduction of anadromous salmon and trout has proven to offer an endless set of diminishing returns. While hatcheries did produce astonishing returns when they first entered production the last generation has seen a spiral of costs per adult fish returned.They are a bad investment.

My guess is a soon as you tell people you are going to charge them an extra $50 to $100 a year to increase hacthery production, they'll just give up angling.

As it is the angling opportunities mentioned above - like squamish pinks & Fraser chinook have primarily been supported by wild stocks not hatchery stocks.

It seems better to put money into habitat imporvements and better enforcement.

RalphH

What do you think about ocean pasture restoration?  Like this peace talks about http://russgeorge.net/2017/01/31/japanese-salmon-fisheries-in-historic-collapse/

http://russgeorge.net/2017/01/13/turning-blue-ocean-deserts-into-green-gardens-of-eden/

hmm seems this guy is just trying to market his product all though some research in BC says it might work.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fertilizing-ocean-with-iron-to-save-salmon-and-earn-money/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:25:08 PM by wildmanyeah »

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »

OT: are we allowed a propane bbq on the big squamish bar below mamquam?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »

Do you want to eat fresh?

Ambassador

« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »

I've wondered the same. Seems you are fine so long as it is CSA approved:
http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/!Project/WildfireNews/752017~100915_17%20Coastal%20Prohibition%20color%208X11L%20Info%2020170706.pdf

*Prohibition Area restricts the following:
• Campfires
• Category 2 open fire
• Category 3 open fire
• Tiki and similar kinds of torches
• Fireworks, including firecrackers
• Open fire in an outdoor stove
• Sky Lanterns
• Binary Exploding Targets
• Burn Barrels or Burn Cages of any size or
description
• Gas stoves and other portable campfire
apparatuses not CSA/ULC approved
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »

FURRY is STILL DEAD!  (weird, cause fish are coming in on the Squamish)  In my opinion not even worth your time stopping. Doesn't matter time (Morning or Evening) nor does TIDE seem to matter.

The Capilano Coho run is like this too. When the river level is high, they don't stick around Ambleside beach much.  They just zip into the river because the water is so inviting.

For the 2015 Pink Run, we had drought conditions and the Mamquam was closed down at one point, so more fish probably hung around the beaches longer.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2017, 11:41:48 PM »

FISHING REPORT UPDATE:  Furry Creek, Squamish (Mamquam)

Still mainly SLOW.
More fish are starting to arrive and move through systems.

FURRY is STILL DEAD!  (weird, cause fish are coming in on the Squamish)  In my opinion not even worth your time stopping. Doesn't matter time (Morning or Evening) nor does TIDE seem to matter.

SQUAMISH:

More fish are moving through.  Not "Tons" but it is possible to do okay in the Morning or Evening.  Afternoon.... they (What little is there) are really shutting down.

I recommend the area just downstream of the Mamquam connector.  Fly Rods seem to be producing significantly more than Gear.  Jigs are also working.

NO REAL ACTION as of YET with:  Spoons, Spinners

Another week (and getting better every day) and the waters should be "Boiling with them".
This year we have much higher water levels than last time.  Patience is needed.

Saw a Big Brown Bear going across the Mamquam the other morning.  Seemed harmless and went about it's way. However,  still freaks me out to this day when ever i'm around a BIG BROWN in the Wild.

CONSERVATION OFFICERS
have been at SQUAMISH (Mamquam) almost EVERY DAY.

Please make sure you have your Licence, Proper gear (Single Barbless Hooks) and only 1 Fish Retention.

Tell it like it is, GOOD POST!!!

It ain't the roe bro'

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »

Fraser pink fishery:

Slightly better pink numbers in the Area 20 - San Juan test fishery yesterday - 257.

DFO estimates that the inside diversion rate of pinks is about 50/50.
50% of the pinks should be coming down the inside route instead of around the bottom of VI.
Someone here mentioned previously that they thought the inside rate was about 70%.

The Area 12 - Blinkhorn numbers are building: 1000 - 2000 range (inside route).
However, the numbers for this area in 2015 were in the 20,000 range.

They were hovering around 2000 until July 25th when they jumped to 13,000 then 25,000 and slowly tapered off into August.

I still think that everything is late.

Wool

« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »

Just in from 4:30 am and nothing.

Mamaquin, Furry and Squamish. Seen 2 pulled from Furry at 10:30 this morning and that was it.

Bring bear bangers in the morning. There waiting for the fish to.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »

Fished the same spot as Blair 6-8, no parking on no name! Landed a four pound doe half an hour in drifting a jig, currently entering my belly. Two others landed near me. Checked out Furry Creek on the way back, completely dead.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »

Temperature is heating up too.  Shorts and sandals weather at the squish.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:45:51 PM by fic »

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »

Ha, still had my longjohns and ski socks under the waders, that water is cold, man

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »

FISHING REPORT UPDATE:  Furry Creek, Squamish (Mamquam)

Still mainly SLOW.
More fish are starting to arrive and move through systems.

SQUAMISH:

More fish are moving through.  Not "Tons" but it is possible to do okay in the Morning or Evening.  Afternoon.... they (What little is there) are really shutting down.

I recommend the area just downstream of the Mamquam connector.  Fly Rods seem to be producing significantly more than Gear.  Jigs are also working.

NO REAL ACTION as of YET with:  Spoons, Spinners

Another week (and getting better every day) and the waters should be "Boiling with them".
This year we have much higher water levels than last time.  Patience is needed.

Saw a Big Brown Bear going across the Mamquam the other morning.  Seemed harmless and went about it's way. However,  still freaks me out to this day when ever i'm around a BIG BROWN in the Wild.

CONSERVATION OFFICERS
have been at SQUAMISH (Mamquam) almost EVERY DAY.

Please make sure you have your Licence, Proper gear (Single Barbless Hooks) and only 1 Fish Retention.

Awesome Post!

andrew5

« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »

Super slow today too apparently. Stopped at furry for incoming tide. Nothing showing.  Not many people. Tried lower Squamish, saw one fish to shore in about 90 minutes. Moved to the Malayan, saw a total of two fish in 2 hours rise. Likely 75-100 people fishing around the confluence and didn't see any fish brought to shore from 11:30 -1:00. No schools seen at any location.

Moving back to the salt now, and then likely to the shady tree. I'll likely have better luck there!