Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259740 times)

243Pete

Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »

Furry creek is hit and miss for some I've heard, but for sure the pinks are pushing straight into the Squam and Mam cause they are pretty much chrome.
On a side note, please bring bear spray. Me and my buddies friends had quite a surprise, buddies girl friend said "hey look! a bear!" I turn expecting to see a black bear but instead I see about a full grown brown bear staring at me from about 80 feet away. His dog didn't bark or even growl once and I was taken by total surprise cause none of us heard a thing. This will teach me to not leave the bear spray at home again.

Wool

« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »

Wasted 3 days at Furry, The Mamaquin and Squamish. Nothing.

Had a nice little break with a pair of bears at fishermans park today and
Finally got out.

This is nothing like the last 20 years. The fish I seen were small to the point I thought they were trout.

Elbow to elbow at the Mamaquin this morning with fly, Spey, float and 2 bottom bouncers all standing where if there was fish actually going thru. I counted 47 guys if you can believe it.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »

I am curious to know what lures everybody is using for the murky section of Squamish above the Mamquam?  The lures I use in clearer water don't work as well when visibility is very poor.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »

Elbow to elbow at the Mamaquin this morning with fly, Spey, float and 2 bottom bouncers all standing where if there was fish actually going thru. I counted 47 guys if you can believe it.

I have a hard time believing it. How desperate must some folks be to catch a pink salmon?
Especially with it costing under 10 bucks in the stores.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »

Maybe 10 different people decided to go to Squamish for a day of fishing and maybe catch a few pinks at the mouth of the mamquam. I dont think that they are going for meat being that the limit is one per day.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »

I have a hard time believing it. How desperate must some folks be to catch a pink salmon?
Especially with it costing under 10 bucks in the stores.

Why does it always have to be about the meat ?
Can't people just be excited for some early salmon fishing  opportunities?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

I am curious to know what lures everybody is using for the murky section of Squamish above the Mamquam?  The lures I use in clearer water don't work as well when visibility is very poor.

What lures do you use? I fly fish and don't really change the sort of fly that much except maybe a bit larger flies. But even at that size #6 or #8 flies aren't what I call large.

Above the Mamquam the water clarity will be 1 to 2 feet so the fish won't see your lure from a distance much greater than that. What's more in murky water they will usually be closer to shore. If you are tossing your lure well out and reeling it back they will hardly get a look at it. Fish downstream, slow down your retrieve and use the current to activate your lure. That way the lure will flutter in front of a salmon moving slowly away from it and the fish will be able to both see it and chase & strike.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:46:41 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »

What lures do you use? I fly fish and don't really change the sort of fly that much except maybe a bit larger flies. But even at that size #6 or #8 flies aren't what I call large.

Above the Mamquam the water clarity will be 1 to 2 feet so the fish won't see your lure from a distance much greater than that. What's more in murky water they will usually be closer to shore. If you are tossing your lure well out and reeling it back they will hardly get a look at it. Fish downstream, slow down your retrieve and use the current to activate your lure. That way the lure will flutter in front of a salmon moving slowly away from it and the fish will be able to both see it and chase & strike.
Thanks for the tips. I was also thinking about attaching a float to my line, so if I retrieve it too slow, it will keep the lure from touching the bottom and getting snagged.  With the water so murky, they can't see the float anyways.

Animal Chin

« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »

This will teach me to not leave the bear spray at home again.

Leaving Furry Creek last week I saw a baby black bear cross the road... I didn't see momma bear but I'm sure she wasn't too far behind. Like the saying goes, "better to have something you don't need than to need something you don't have".

243Pete

« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »

Leaving Furry Creek last week I saw a baby black bear cross the road... I didn't see momma bear but I'm sure she wasn't too far behind. Like the saying goes, "better to have something you don't need than to need something you don't have".

I'll keep it on me or at least attach it to my sling pack. Ussually when I fish that river in particular I always carry either some bear bangers or spray, the one time I'm out with neither and this happens... the more I think about it the more I feel stupid about it. :o

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »

Why does it always have to be about the meat ?
Can't people just be excited for some early salmon fishing  opportunities?

It's just a conclusion I've drawn from walking and fishing swaths of gorgeous fishing locations holding good numbers of fish with hardly any angler in sight.
All of them, were, however, no retention areas.

Compare that to a river where the chances of catching one fish (and retaining it) are decent, and all of a sudden you have 47 people on one bank mid week.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »

Makes you wonder what people would be willing to spend on licenses and hatchery tags to properly build up more meat rivers

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2017, 09:54:37 AM »

Closing of the Fraser to all salmon fishing may have something to do with the crowds in Squamish.  Guys normally targeting Fraser Springs/Sockeye are driving to Squamish instead.

doja

« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »

^^^ for the amount of money spent on gas finding fishing Re diverting some of that money adds up... If each person saves $50 on gas and putting that money into stock increases it adds up pretty good and seems a win win.  I'd like to see a pilot project aiming to increase numbers on your standard hatchery supported rivers giving more opportunities by having  an increase in salmon stamp fees possibly for certain rivers like the Vedder ie a Vedder river retention stamp and actually put that money into increasing the stocks. Maybe a standard stamp for smaller retentions for those that don't fish often and keeping the minimal costs down then a "above retention stamp" for those that want to more. $20 from each Vedder river angler would probably add up... I'd pay more if it means more opportunities.

It really seems not enough cash is going towards the hatcherys that people could still afford and still give affordable opportunities for those who don't get out often or are tight on cash.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »

Hatchery reproduction of anadromous salmon and trout has proven to offer an endless set of diminishing returns. While hatcheries did produce astonishing returns when they first entered production the last generation has seen a spiral of costs per adult fish returned.They are a bad investment.

My guess is a soon as you tell people you are going to charge them an extra $50 to $100 a year to increase hacthery production, they'll just give up angling.

As it is the angling opportunities mentioned above - like squamish pinks & Fraser chinook have primarily been supported by wild stocks not hatchery stocks.

It seems better to put money into habitat imporvements and better enforcement.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.