Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259746 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »

I fished the beaches in Squamish and Ambleside this morning and didn't see any body fighting fish.  On the beach there was 3 dead pinks which apparently all came through the same school and those 3 guys all hooked fish at the same time.  The other 20 or so people including me didnt fight any fish at the Beach.

I wound up with a 6lb Male on the river though.  There is no surface activity like others have said, so you just hope they are there.  I left the river after retaining my 1 fish.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:41:26 PM by fic »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »

OT: how do you guys handle the row on the beach in the hot summer?
I bring a block of ice with me to the beach, carried in a plastic bag.  I leave the cooler in the car.  The roe can be stinky and the coho will still bite it so I am not worried about spoiled roe. I bring the ice to cool the salmon.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:54:57 PM by fic »

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »

Fished Squamish below Mamquam from 7 on. Brought a chrome male to shore on pig jig in the first hour. Two fly guys a little higher hooked into 5-6 by 9. One was already super humpy! Bite was off when the clouds burnt off.

Tangles

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »

mostly Indian River run

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2017, 08:24:40 PM »

there is a smallish run into the Seymour and they are larger than the Indian/Squamish fish ...but yes most fish east of 1st Narrows will be headed to the Indian.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:10:52 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »

I think the pinks are on time but it is just much fewer fish compared to previous seasons. If you wait for that big push, it may not come at all. Lets hope the Fraser pinks will do well.

doja

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »

Maybe they long spring we had confused them a bit? Sure did my plants, lol. Might lead to a more drawn out return as they debate heading in or not....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:01:23 AM by doja »

Drewhill

« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »

Went to Furry Saturday and Sunday and it was dead. No signs of fish at all. Guys were clearing out pretty quickly too. Briefly went to the Squamish but after walking up and down the bars and talking to some people we realized nothing was happening there either.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »

Went to Furry Saturday and Sunday and it was dead. No signs of fish at all. Guys were clearing out pretty quickly too. Briefly went to the Squamish but after walking up and down the bars and talking to some people we realized nothing was happening there either.
There should be more fish next weekend (fingers crossed).  At the beach, one guy kept trying to fish out the lures I lost to the rocks.  Kind of weird when there's 300 feet of space, and he squeezes right next to me to look for the lure he saw me lose a bit earlier.  I lost 3 spoons, but picked up 3 buzz bombs and a golf ball. 

243Pete

« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

Nothing rolling around, had one chaser but nothing grabbed on.
Hmm... this is only speculation/ theory on my end. But back in 2015 a LOT of pinks were still rolling around in Furry creek and the ocean side, most had already turned that brown-ish/ green-ish color and they haven't even hit the fresh water yet. Is it possible that a majority of those fish perished before they even had time to spawn? Cause by September 10th I was still hitting pinks on the ocean but they looked like they were ready to spawn and barely put up a fight which was a fair bit concerning cause I felt that maybe they wouldn't survive if they tried to migrate up the rivers especially with the water levels and temps at that time.

sockeyed

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »

Nothing rolling around, had one chaser but nothing grabbed on.
Hmm... this is only speculation/ theory on my end. But back in 2015 a LOT of pinks were still rolling around in Furry creek and the ocean side, most had already turned that brown-ish/ green-ish color and they haven't even hit the fresh water yet. Is it possible that a majority of those fish perished before they even had time to spawn? Cause by September 10th I was still hitting pinks on the ocean but they looked like they were ready to spawn and barely put up a fight which was a fair bit concerning cause I felt that maybe they wouldn't survive if they tried to migrate up the rivers especially with the water levels and temps at that time.

I agree there were some late fish in the ocean. However the squamish river was boiling with so many fish in August 2015 that it was hard to fish at times without snagging them.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »

Good amount of schools going by in the squamish. Couple guys hooked a dozen or so at dusk on the lower bars yesterday

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »

Does the Tides matter on the Squamish when the water level is this high when you are fishing for pinks?

Ambassador

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »

Does the Tides matter on the Squamish when the water level is this high when you are fishing for pinks?
The water seems higher this year for sure. A couple people (literally - 2 of the 20ish people around me) had luck and landed a fish on the outgoing tide this weekend - but not many hookups at all. Lots and lots of people out fishing - very little action.
I prefer incoming and ebb tides myself - just pushes that fresh batch of fish in if they are staging at the mouth - but the tides did not favour us in the mornings this past weekend. I don't believe they have shown up in any decent (or even notable) numbers yet as the amount of bent rods was minimal to say the least.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

BananasQ

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »

Decided to check out Furry Creek for myself today and took my youngest along. Fished for 2 hours at low tide - nada. Not a single sign of a fish anywhere.  Going to give it another week or so before the next trip.