Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470961 times)

John Revolver

I was hoping that dry trend would continue  so I set up my gear and lay'd everything out to hit first light but the sky has now ripped right open and its forecasted to last  all day and into the evening. 

Think I'm going to sleep in now  :(

burnaby

Totally agree it is Unethical to fish the Vedder in high water conditions.
...the river being blown out already, I am 100% sure that the river will be ethically unfishable tomorrow and probably over the rest of the weekend...

Most educated and ethical anglers, however, will rather leave them alone tomorrow. They are having a hard time as it is with all the mud and debris.

Totally agree it is Unethical to fish the Vedder in low water conditions.
I would have to say the fish are under far more stress and endure far more during low clear conditions. They are trapped in pools where they are bombarded by gear day in day out. ...

Let's all agree it is Unethical to fish the Vedder in any water condition so PLEASE everyone stay home :)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

Absolutely, JC...have at it...we know how easy it can be when they are blind in the mud. I just don't understand why the delusion of using the rod when you can just as well grab them with your hands.
Whoever enjoys "fishing" in a swollen and muddy river with no visibility can have at it, but it is definitely frowned upon by most respectable rods from whom I have been trying very hard to learn something in the past decade or so.
Have at it, but please don't advertise it as great angling prowess and something to strive for because it's not and you know it.
Edited to add: The video you linked to shows very fishable cloudy steelhead water with considerable visibility, not the zero viz milk chocolate mud that is running now.

The guy who made the video states that there is 6"-8" of visibility, I'm sure that is very similar to how the Chilliwack is right now.

The video was more so to show what to use, how to use it and what to use it in, however you're not understanding that point  :-\

Fish use more than just vision to "see" or sense where they are and what is coming at them. They use their sense of smell also, if I can smell roe and a salmons sense of smell is hundreds of thousands times stronger than humans I'm sure they will smell it also...

Like I have said already, it is FAR LESS ethical to harass fish stuck in pools with low and gin clear water, they're harder to catch though but I guess that makes it "more ethical" to you and your buddies.

Now lets get back to the point of this thread, the water conditions of the Chilliwack river.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Nope. Wrong. Vis was absolute 0 yesterday aftrrnoon

milo

• Old Timer

ok you grumpy weekend warriors...
But of course I am grumpy! Worked hard all week in anticipation of chucking a few flies to willing silvers and then we get this zero viz mud. :-/
At least it's a good day to binge watch BBC's "Life".  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River mud and heavy rain but there is still some out there, I guess they enjoy fishing in the rain and watching the debris floating by. :P

Dave

• Old Timer

what gibberish! Ethically un-fishable, how so? "Educated anglers", more rotting word salad.

If the river is so blown it's dangerous stay home. If it's so murky it's not worth the time or you lack the skill stay home. Ethics has nothing to do with it.
Hey Ralph, what was your occupation before you became FWR's resident curmudgeon? :D :D :D

SilverChaser

Spent a lot of time on the river today. Fished the lower in the morning until it turned into chocolate. Then we raced to the upper and i met my buddy SilverChaser and we were on a quest to find clear water. We checked the top out and sure enough it was murk up there as well. So we headed downriver to a hole by W rd. we looked at the hole from the dyke side of the river and it looked good and clear with 1-2 ft visibility so we bushwhacked our way over there. By the time we got there the visibility was even worse and worsening. We fished there for about 45 minutes and we tossed spinners, roe and tried twitching jigs all with no avail. (There were a few risers in the pool) We stopped fishing because visibility turned to 0.

We then headed upriver to a spot i will leave unnamed. We hiked quite a way, around 3-5 kilometers and we finally found some water that had some visibility around 1-2ft. I then proceeded to put a golf ball size chunk of roe on my hook with my 10lb leader and 20 gram float i casted out into the murk and about 10 seconds into the drift the float sinks! Bam! Set the hook and a big nooky was staring me in the face. A long fight around 10 minutes climbing around trees trying to keep this thing on the hook. Good thing i had SilverChaser there as after i had tired out the Chinook he was able to tail it and bring it up on shore for me. Lying in front of me was a 20lb(weighed it) hatch doe that looked in decent shape for a spring almost in November. I proceeded to bleed the fish take my photos :).
After a while i cut it open and to my disbelief the roe sacks were huge and intact looking nice and ready to be cured up! I gave SilverChaser one skein of the roe as he tailed the fish for me.

Here is what it looks like:

Fun day for sure, with a nice little surprise at the end.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

Nope. Wrong. Vis was absolute 0 yesterday aftrrnoon

We then headed upriver to a spot i will leave unnamed. We hiked quite a way, around 3-5 kilometers and we finally found some water that had some visibility around 1-2ft.

::) ::) ::) Just because say the crossing has low visibility it doesn't mean that the entire river does.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Hey Ralph, what was your occupation before you became FWR's resident curmudgeon? :D :D :D

that I am a curmudgeon has no relation to my profession.:P (and I still have a current membership card and employment.)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sagefishr

And there lays part of the answer of why year after year fish stocks decline on the vedder, everyone harvesting large amounts of roe.  My take is if the fish made it all the way up the chilliwack river and almost to the hatchery, let it go to do its thing, if everyone did this we have way better sports fishery that everyone can enjoy.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

There may be merits in other smaller or sensitive systems. But we are talking about the Chedder here and these are white springs which they have tons of excess fish. It is not like he is not eating his spring catch. Just ask the hatchery if they have any shortage of white spring coming back for brood stock. LOL. Chill it a bit. We are talking the most hatchery enhanced system in lower mainland.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

hatchery fish are meant to be culled from the system....whether they have roe or not.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

::) ::) ::) Just because say the crossing has low visibility it doesn't mean that the entire river does.

Go get em superstar.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

River mud and heavy rain but there is still some out there, I guess they enjoy fishing in the rain and watching the debris floating by. :P
Was it Johnny Canuck? ::)