Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470933 times)

Byronnn

River level is very low this morning, doesn't look like that little bit of rain did much. As such, the fishing was slower than usual at my typical spot, I don't expect many fresh fish came in overnight. Super crowded though, arrived at 5:30 and barely got a spot. On the morning bite I hooked into 3 coho, managed to land one, a nice 18" hatchery.

Looking forward to the rain the weekend. Hope it keeps up for the holiday to keep the crowds down.

Nicolas The Fisherman

Fished through a couple runs this morning between 6:30 and 9:00 AM. Hooked quite a few but couldn't get a good hook set on any of them. After my fourth lost fish, I checked my hook and found it to be dull. Sharpened it up and landed + released a nice little coho jack. Lots of coho rising. Also saw many more chum pushing through than the last couple days. Water was still low and clear despite the rain we had yesterday/overnight. Should be good for tomorrow.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water remains low. Some showers but it has stayed dry most of the time, very windy out there this morning. Fishing was very slow. Beside my hatchery coho around 5lb caught with a spoon first thing this morning, I saw one other fish lost among a few dozen guys.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:19:22 AM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Was away hunting for last 10 days, looks like I have not missed much, looking like one of the worst years for coho on the Chilliwack Vedder or are they just late.

lapa

Was away hunting for last 10 days, looks like I have not missed much, looking like one of the worst years for coho on the Chilliwack Vedder or are they just late.
They were waiting when you come back   ;)

jeff

I was out mid river today and managed 2 coho 1 spring and about a 12" rainbow. The bite was off by 9:30 after that I didn't touch a thing. One other guy below me got a couple coho but same thing for him bite didn't last too long.
Enjoying the water..........

the_tall_man

Fished the upper river yesterday and had a blast hooking chinook on beads.  Most of the other anglers were snaggers.

Here's a simple guide to help you determine if you're a snagger or not:

If you care more about your swing than your drift...you might be a snagger
If you have a 4-foot leader...you might be a snagger
If you stand on the same rock all day...you might be a snagger.
If you've never even heard of bait...you might be a snagger.
If you snap your rod tip at the end of every drift...you're a snagger
If you only change gear when you break off...you might be a snagger
If you don't really need daylight to catch fish...you might be a snagger.
If most of the fish you catch are foul hooked...you're a snagger
If you KEEP foul-hooked fish...you're definitely a snagger
If you think you're awesome because you still catch fish when the bite is off...you're a snagger
If your favorite thing in the world is when your float lazily flops over...you might be a snagger
If you don't even use a float...you might be a snagger
If bust in and throw your line right on top of other people's so you can "show 'em how it's done"...you're definitely a snagger
If you have a stringer of boot-dark fish...you're a probably a snagger
If you leave all your trash on the bank...you're probably a snagger
If you have no shame and don't even try to hide that you're illegally hooking fish...you're a snagger
If you don't give a crap about wildlife, the law, other people, or anything but yourself...you're definitely a snagger
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:21:17 PM by the_tall_man »
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

the_tall_man

I wish more could be done to crack down on flossers.  Every time I go up there I am in the minority of people who are *actually* fishing.  What really shocks me is the impunity with which it is done, even by "old-timers".  They don't seem to care that they are broadcasting "I AM TRYING TO SNAG A FISH".  Perhaps because so many people do it they think it's a legitimate form of fishing?  It's perplexing.  And of course since snaggers are often getting more action, those that don't know any better are like "I gotta do what that guy's doing".  And a new snagger is born, I guess.

Have some frickin' shame, people.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:31:01 PM by the_tall_man »
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

lol....you must have walked by in disgust at allison pools. no floats needed. should rename it snagger pools instead.

Drewhill

Fished mid river today and water was certainly on the low side but lots of hookups. I couldn't seem to land a coho but had many chances and my buddy got 2 hatches and a nice spring plus lost a few. Wasn't a lot of anglers out which surprised us but the guys fishing the run we were at got rewarded. Bite slowed down around noon so we went to the upper and I finally landed two hos ... both wild. Low water didn't seem to matter too much, maybe it was the mild weather.

jayeffdee

Fished mid river today and water was certainly on the low side but lots of hookups. I couldn't seem to land a coho but had many chances and my buddy got 2 hatches and a nice spring plus lost a few. Wasn't a lot of anglers out which surprised us but the guys fishing the run we were at got rewarded. Bite slowed down around noon so we went to the upper and I finally landed two hos ... both wild. Low water didn't seem to matter too much, maybe it was the mild weather.

What were you fishing with?

Exact opposite report here. Fished mid river from 7:15am to 3pm. Absolutely skunked and lots of anglers out, no one had any hookups whatsoever.

LOTS of fish rolling, jumping 2-3ft out of the water all day. No bites - nothing worked for either Spring nor Coho. Short floating roe/wool, spinners, and twitching jigs.

Such is life :(

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Same experience for me as Drewhill. Tons of fish around, almost no biters. Saw three coho hooked from first light to 2. None for me, mostly fly fishing but also jigs and blades.

milo

• Old Timer

Still in the Wack enjoying some prawns at the Jolly Miller with My buddy Tadpole. Some insane weather today. Mid river got chocolate brown in ten minutes around 5:15. Surprisingly, lower river still holding. If it continues to rain like this tonight, it will be unfishable in the morning. The wind was horrible, too, most of the afternoon. No coho for us, only springs.
Also had to deal with snaggers who wanted to land and keep a foul hooked spring. I followed them downstream and didn't let them get away with it. Got told it was not my business. I made it my business, of course. Really, snaggers, shame on you! You are a disgrace to the sport.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Any thoughts on tomorrow's conditions?

farky

Perhaps a roll of the dice , but the hydrograph is definitely going skyward.
http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/report_e.html?type=realTime&stn=08MH001
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:09:59 PM by farky »