Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470936 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

I think I might be one, but what's a beak?

Nicolas The Fisherman

I was running 10lb floro and reduced the amount of roe. I was drifting a pretty big slow back eddy. Im not even sure how deep it was but I played with my depth thru the day.

I did get to scoop up 5 nice floats that collected in a blockade at the back of the pool. so... i didnt leave without something.

Im wondering, is first light more productive than "last light"
IMO, first light is more productive. It just makes sense that it would be. The fish are pounded by anglers all throughout the day so I would imagine that the fish encountered in the evening are a bit spooked and sore lipped. Fresh schools of fish push up through the night and into the early morning, so if you get there at first light, it would make sense that you would have a greater chance of encountering fresher fish more willing to bite until the TOWers start spooking the fish. This is purely speculation though. ;D Don't get me wrong, I have caught fish at last light too, but there's nothing quite like the first light bite.

243Pete

ok that's pretty extreme.... lol. ;D

Maybe they like the smell of the coffee?  :P I believe everyone has their own little quirks for fishing, I just believe that if I can see it then the fish most likely can see it as well.

Zackattack

haha

clarki

• Old Timer

I was drifting a pretty big slow back eddy."

Chinook tend not to hold in big slow back eddies, and prefer the faster deeper water. So if you were chasing chinook, then it is pretty low margin water for that target species.

On the other hand, if you were chasing coho then you were in a money place. Coho will hold mid-depth and mill around in an eddy, and a variety of baits/lures can be effective to take them. The bulk of the coho run is yet to arrive so keep that back eddy in mind; it might be golden later.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Had another pleasant one hour of fishing this morning to take advantage of that short period of bites between 6:30am and 7:30am. Five bites in total, missed the first one at the beginning, lost two coho salmon (the ones that come off are always coho right??), landed a chinook salmon around 6 or 7lb, and a coho jack. Both fish were released. Water looks great.

LP89CG

Chinook tend not to hold in big slow back eddies, and prefer the faster deeper water. So if you were chasing chinook, then it is pretty low margin water for that target species.

On the other hand, if you were chasing coho then you were in a money place. Coho will hold mid-depth and mill around in an eddy, and a variety of baits/lures can be effective to take them. The bulk of the coho run is yet to arrive so keep that back eddy in mind; it might be golden later.

All those springs rolling and showing must have been out of place then... Ill let them know next time im there. :P

clarki

• Old Timer

All those springs rolling and showing must have been out of place then... Ill let them know next time im there. :P

But did you catch any?  ;)

I debated throwing out my unsolicited advice; normally I don't. Just my personal experience over the years. Take it for what it's worth. Cheers

LP89CG

But did you catch any?  ;)

I debated throwing out my unsolicited advice; normally I don't. Just my personal experience over the years. Take it for what it's worth. Cheers

Don't take my comment the wrong way. Advice is appreciated. I was just making a crack at the number of springs in the hole not doing anything but dodging my line, and you're right I didn't catch any this outing. Nailed 2 last week there but the water was up and there was a faster flow thru some of the hole. Goes tho my theory that for me to produce in the hole again I'll need some rain, a push of coho, and some days off work.

I figure I'll put some days in this spot. It gave me my first spring ever, now hoping for my first coho ever.

markyboy

After the last three outings all produced nothing, I decided to set the alarm for 4 am and make sure I gave it my best at first light. It's my first year fishing the vedder and all I have to show for it so far were pinks.

Glad I remembered the torch, seemed a much longer hike through the woods than I remembered in daylight. Was whistling away just in case of bears, proud of myself for getting off my backside nice and early, hiking down to the run and arriving first to pick any spot I wanted.... only to find six other guys already there and setting up :)

Anyhow very first cast, fish on. Played it for a couple of minutes and it threw the hook. Five minutes later another hookup, this time landed a large spring that I released as it was quite coloured up. This was my first ever spring caught solely by me (I've caught them when guided in the chuck) and what a confidence boost it was. Up until then I was always worried whether I was missing bites, or whether the float was too shallow, or too deep, whether i was casting in the righte spots etc. Now that monkey is off my back, I can settle in and know that I've got some of the basics.

So my patience and early start paid off, however.... no more bites for me and I didn't see any other hookups all morning on that stretch - so it goes to show what a huge part luck plays in all of this.

As an aside, as i walked back up river I saw one guy fishing in a really fast narrow run where I wouldn't have thought made sense. He had one nice coho and looked to be playing another as I left him. His tactics were that the fish hugged very close to the sides in very fast water and if you stayed well back from the edge you don't spook them, you can see them and then catch them. The only person mid river that i saw with coho today so I guess he knew what he was doing.

Ps on the way back  I wasn't whistling....saw my first bear while out fishing. Fortunately a small one that saw me and headed off in the other direction. Maybe need to get that bear bell.

losos

"Up until then I was always worried whether I was missing bites, or whether the float was too shallow, or too deep, whether i was casting in the righte spots etc"

That could apply to coho ,a spring lacks table manners and nails offer really hard. If you were fishing spring you'd notice bait right away as float dives like crazy.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Water is getting quite low again, dropping a bit steadily and now the bite is really short first thing in the morning. Landed my first coho of the season this morning, a wild doe around 4lb. Saw another similar size hatchery fish landed. Chinook salmon were still active, but for some reason were not too interested in our roe unlike last week.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

With the amount of of fishermen I saw in the canal this morning, you're lucky you got any bites. It was totally ridiculous. I found a quiet spot, and got nothing. I did however see a few schools of coho and chum swim by my feet. There is still a lot of zombie pinks too.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I wasn't in the canal.... ;D

CHaddon

How's the Vedder river been this last week or two? Mayhem? I'm hoping to hit one of the rivers this weekend on Saturday with a friend of mine at first light. How difficult has it been to get a spot? Based on reports it's looking like I either need to hike in somewhere a little less fished or find a different river. Any thoughts or suggestions?