Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 470949 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Yes Milo, it was awesome for some and always is.
But sometimes ...
Some of us miss out on holding a Rock till the push comes through or our timing is off.
Saw a lot of river yesterday which will boad well for future awesome  ;)

jayeffdee

Are you being sarcastic?

Unfortunately, no. I'm used to being on the receiving end of "mind your own f!@#ing business" after seeing snagged fish retained. It's refreshing NOT to have to go through the confrontation on a lovely day on the river.

CHaddon

Just curious: Has anyone ever commented on another fisher snagging or using poor etiquette in this area and had the person actually change their ways?

It just seems like a good way to pick fights, make enemies and detract from an otherwise positive fishing experience.

When I noticed it I just went down-stream where I didn't have to witness it and had an earlier shot at the run. Otherwise, I think all you can really do is call it in and hope a conservation officer sees it.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Just curious: Has anyone ever commented on another fisher snagging or using poor etiquette in this area and had the person actually change their ways?

Lots of times.

Sure, many "anglers" will get confrontational or tell you to mind your own $(#@& business, but others are open to discussion and sharing of ideas.

A lot of it has to do with how you initiate contact... if you confront them then they will be defensive. If you inquire as to their luck/experience/etc and they genuinely don't know any better, they are often quite willing to listen - especially if you come across as knowledgeable WITHOUT being a know-it-all.

Of course, it doesn't hurt if you're catching chromers and they're hooking nothing but rocks. ;)

milo

• Old Timer

It just seems like a good way to pick fights, make enemies and detract from an otherwise positive fishing experience.
When I noticed it I just went down-stream where I didn't have to witness it and had an earlier shot at the run. Otherwise, I think all you can really do is call it in and hope a conservation officer sees it.

I do, and I always will. It's all in the approach. (Being XL and having an intimidating stance helps. ;)
I believe that if we don't intervene, we become part of the problem.

You could ask yourself the same question regarding anything that strongly displeases you and that you know is WRONG (child abuse, homophobia, misogyny, chauvinism, racism...the list goes on). Some people choose to go away or look the other way; others deal with it the best they can.

As for picking up a fight, I only make sure I am not the one to strike first and that there are witnesses.
Self-defense is a powerful motivator, and it is legal. ;)

Dave

• Old Timer

As for picking up a fight, I only make sure I am not the one to strike first and that there are witnesses.
Self-defense is a powerful motivator, and it is legal. ;)
I can't imagine anyone in their right mind picking a fight with you, geeeez, your hands are the size of basketballs!

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

One can hear Milo before you reach the water and you know to be afraid..... :o

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

One can hear Milo before you reach the water and you know to be afraid..... :o

Afraid? I don't know, the Milo-sound you hear before you reach the water is usually his laughter! ;)

LP89CG

No luck today. lots showing. I'm assuming that because the water is down and clear that it becomes harder to entice a bite?

Nicolas The Fisherman

No luck today. lots showing. I'm assuming that because the water is down and clear that it becomes harder to entice a bite?
The fish spook easier when the waters low and clear and they can become quite tight lipped. Downsizing your gear is a good bet. I run 12lb main, a 15 gram drennan, a couple split shots, 6lb fluoro leader and a size 4 hook with a small sized piece of roe. First light is your window of opportunity to get biters when the waters low and clear. Once the sun hits the water, it becomes challenging, especially when you have beaks ripping the water to a froth.

fic

• Old Timer

The fish spook easier when the waters low and clear and they can become quite tight lipped. Downsizing your gear is a good bet. I run 12lb main, a 15 gram drennan, a couple split shots, 6lb fluoro leader and a size 4 hook with a small sized piece of roe. First light is your window of opportunity to get biters when the waters low and clear. Once the sun hits the water, it becomes challenging, especially when you have beaks ripping the water to a froth.
6lb fluoro for springs?  I guess you're targeting the smaller ones in the slower water.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

6lb fluoro for springs?  I guess you're targeting the smaller ones in the slower water.

Pretty sure he is talking about coho...a spring here and there can be fun, but the coho are where it's at  ;)

243Pete

Monday was good, hooked into a big doe mid river and landed 3 more. First year using a centerpin setup for springs and all I gotta say is... I'm loving it!  :D
I down sized most of my gear, small black barrel swivel, size 6 hook, torpedo weight that I darkened by leaving in some old coffee grounds to darken, and 12lb Seaguar flouro leader. kept the bait fairly large with a small hevi bead on the top.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

torpedo weight that I darkened by leaving in some old coffee grounds to darken....

ok that's pretty extreme.... lol. ;D

LP89CG

I was running 10lb floro and reduced the amount of roe. I was drifting a pretty big slow back eddy. Im not even sure how deep it was but I played with my depth thru the day.

I did get to scoop up 5 nice floats that collected in a blockade at the back of the pool. so... i didnt leave without something.

Im wondering, is first light more productive than "last light"