Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148512 times)

DanL

• Old Timer

Regarding those very late season cohos, are those stragglers from the main October run, or are they their own distinct population that happen to return and spawn later like you see in the North Fraser flows?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

For those who are still fishing the Chilliwack River, please note the following study which is happening right now. Researchers from UBC are currently conducting a study on coho salmon migration to the Chilliwack River. Around 200 coho salmon were tagged in the Fraser River around Fort Langley between October 21st and 27th. Fish are expected to make their way into the Chilliwack River in the next three weeks. Please see this poster and find out what you should do when you encounter these fish. It is possible some of these fish may end up in other Lower Fraser tributaries too. Please share this poster so your friends are also aware of this study.

EZ_Rolling

Hi Rod

It mentions retention but shows a punched adipose fin, if these are wild fish they should not be retained.

can you elaborate?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hi Rod

It mentions retention but shows a punched adipose fin, if these are wild fish they should not be retained.

can you elaborate?

I sent those questions in last night and just waiting for a response right now. I'll post the answer up as soon as I get it

Ambassador

Ah! That make sense.
I was up at the Adams last weekend and noticed a number of the sockeye sporting unusual items such as a large yellow wire through its back. Many more had little orange discs through their back behind the dorsal fin which I assumed were some sort of tracking device - but the yellow wired one stumped me.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hi Rod

can you elaborate?

Just heard back. Only hatchery-marked fish were tagged in this study. I'll see if I can get them to revise the diagram in that poster.

Dave

• Old Timer

Good on you Rod ;) That was an old poster and has been used before for similar studies .. I suspect someone at UBC is embarrassed.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Saw them, UBC up river today.
 River was mud but the dippers, long liners etc. where hard at work. Saw a chap at the Cement Slabs with one hooked in the side, I made sure it was released. FOC was out there today as well and I spent some time talking to him about all this type of activity and how it can be curtailed.

I know Jason, Rod and Nick said education is the answer, I donot know what they are planning to do as I am sure there is just too many of them to educate but kudos to them for trying.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

I know Jason, Rod and Nick said education is the answer, I donot know what they are planning to do as I am sure there is just too many of them to educate but kudos to them for trying.

It's like a virus. You infect one person with knowledge, then they infect 3 others, and so on... ;)

A Frayed Knot

River was mud but the dippers, long liners etc. where hard at work. Saw a chap at the Cement Slabs with one hooked in the side, I made sure it was released. FOC was out there today as well and I spent some time talking to him about all this type of activity and how it can be curtailed.

I to got to volunteer today and help w/ the ubc-er's which was pretty cool since thats my "hood" *flashes ubc signs* :O lol jk I was actually out milking chum and collecting eggs, there was some serious brutes!
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Ah! That make sense.
I was up at the Adams last weekend and noticed a number of the sockeye sporting unusual items such as a large yellow wire through its back. Many more had little orange discs through their back behind the dorsal fin which I assumed were some sort of tracking device - but the yellow wired one stumped me.

The yellow wire may have been a fuse.  :o

Rieber

• Old Timer

What is a dipper? Sorry - I missed the meaning of this term somewhere along the way.

jeff

On sunday my brother and i converted a long liner which lead to him catching his first ever salmon. We were fishing jigs with one foot leaders and floats sitting right on top of our weights in about 3 feet of water. After our third double header he came up to us and asked what we were fishing. I told him he was fishing way too deep and he said he thought that was the way to do it. He then said it must be wrong because he wasn't catching fish and we were. So we gave him a jig showed him how to rig it and how to fish it, and sure enough 5 minutes later he hooked a nice looking chum which he kept. It felt good to help the guy out. Hopefully that was our small part to help out on the river.
Enjoying the water..........

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Just heard back. Only hatchery-marked fish were tagged in this study. I'll see if I can get them to revise the diagram in that poster.

Just out of curiosity what method did the researchers use to capture and tag these coho in Ft.Langley?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Just out of curiosity what method did the researchers use to capture and tag these coho in Ft.Langley?

I have no idea Bryan. I'll ask.