Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 31677 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

2009 LOWER MAINLAND/FRASER VALLEY LAKE RAINBOW TROUT FISHERY

2009's spring is approaching and rainbow trout fishing in lakes across the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley will begin shortly. The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, will be starting their rainbow trout stocking during the week of March 9th. Stockings will take place between March and June, September and November, so fishing is expected to be excellent during these months. These angling opportunities are fantastic for families, youth and entry-level anglers due to high catch success rate.

We will once again be providing regular stocking reports to keep you updated so you can plan your next weekend fishing trip better. Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake stocking reports will be available in this thread as well as on this page. You can also find archived reports of catchable rainbow trout stockings across BC in this section of the website.

WHERE TO FISH?

Here are some of the lakes in Region Two that are stocked with rainbow trout.

ADDITIONAL READINGS

It's Trout Season in Vancouver!
Rainbow trout fishing in the Lower Mainland can be excellent between March and June.

Bait Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
The most basic method used when fishing for stocked rainbow trout is bait fishing.

Lure Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
Lure fishing is another effective fishing method in urban lakes. It is preferred by anglers who want to be active.

Good Fishing at Lower Mainland Lakes
A trip to Alice and Edith Lakes shows how good the trout fishing can be around the Lower Mainland.

A Convenient Alternative
Put and take lakes are a good alternative when fishing is slow else where.

“Fishing in the City” Launched
Fishing in the City is a new urban fishing program launched by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

REGULATIONS

Before heading out, please be aware of the followings:

• You must have a valid BC freshwater angling license.
  • You are permitted to keep four trout in Region 2 lakes.
  • If fishing from shore, only ONE fishing rod/line is permitted for each angler.
  • If fishing alone in a boat, an angler is allowed to use TWO fishing rods/lines.
  • Only ONE hook is allowed on each fishing line.
  • There are exceptions/specific regulations for some lakes (such as catch and release only, requirement of barbless hook, boating restrictions), please see the table in Region Two's regulations where each lake is listed for exceptions.
  • If you witness a violation, please phone 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) and report it.

CONTACT

For stocking plans, please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery at (604) 504-4716.

Ethan

Re: 2009 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »

this will be my  first year flyfishing,  i plan to be out on the water, either in a canoe or belly boat,
and am going to be fishing the victoria area,  anyone have any advice for the kind of flies / baits to use when targeting the stocked rainbows and cutties ?   ???
i dont know much about what types of flies to use and such so any advice would be appreciated, 
thanks,   Ethan
if your hands arent sore and your arms arent tired you havent been fishing long enough :p

OGrady

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »

this will be my  first year flyfishing,  i plan to be out on the water, either in a canoe or belly boat,
and am going to be fishing the victoria area,  anyone have any advice for the kind of flies / baits to use when targeting the stocked rainbows and cutties ?   ???
i dont know much about what types of flies to use and such so any advice would be appreciated, 
thanks,   Ethan

i dont know much about the lakes around vic but considering its gonna be your first year flyfishing and your gonna be targeting stocked fish out of a boat i suggest you just start with the basic trolling and searching patterns like a doc spratley, a wooly bugger or a micro leach. Go to a tackle shop and get a few diffrent sizes and coulors of these flys and troll around with them. often on a lake with a boat you can key in on a spot and just cast and retrieve there. thats were the real flyfishing practice comes in.

Good luck  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:07:37 PM »

Boo~ We lost deer(Burnaby) lake stocking!! :'(
Is there any chance to get it back Rod?? ???

Deer Lake in Burnaby is still in the stocking plan, unless something has changed this year. It has been stocked at least once per year.

Stocking plan in the Fraser Valley for next week has been revised today after staff took a look at all the lakes that they want to stock.

March 11th, Lafarge and Como will be stocked.

March 12th, Green Timbers and Sasamat will be stocked.

March 13th, Errock and Mill will be stocked.

Fish weight averages 275g.

These are of course still tentative dates, especially with the unpredictable weather that we are experiencing right now.

and am going to be fishing the victoria area,  anyone have any advice for the kind of flies / baits to use when targeting the stocked rainbows and cutties ?

Size 8 to 12 leech patterns have always worked when we targeted these fish. Dark colours seem to work well, brown, olive, black. Try mixing two colours together (body/tail combination).

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »

Yes i hit the Vedder quite a bit but gearing up more for trout hunting right now(rainbows, cutties) Green Timbers is shore access only and no wading allowed, cant even let your dog in the water or you risk a ticket(seen lots handed out over the years). I would think Lafarge will fish better probably Friday and into the weekend, give the trout time to look around LOL however those little buggers do go crazy when they get in and the tend to get the other fish more active to feed also  ;D

Do you fly fish the Vedder for steel ?
Umm..I have never fished for Steelhead before so this will be a first for me.  From everything I have read, March is supposed to be prime time for them and since I have time off this week it seems like too good an opportunity to miss. I will be fishing gear for them because I figured that approach is going to be the easiest to start with [ Plastic worms, jigs, plastic eggs] (I am not all that proficient at fly fishing much as I enjoy it. )

So you think Friday might be better on Lafarge?  If Green Timbers is shore access only and access is good enough that actually has some advantages and it's probably worth exploring.   I don't particularly like messing about with my inflatable if I don't have to - maybe I will head out there Thursday afternoon.  If  you are fly fishing there I will keep an eye out for you and introduce myself.

Lafarge Lake, from the reports that I have been getting, has actually been producing pretty well even though the last stocking was done back in late November. Good to see those fish made it through the cold snaps.
Interesting, I did not know that.  I have always assumed that lake gets completely cleaned out within about 3 weeks of stocking.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »

For the little one, it's worth looking into visiting the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery for the Learn to Fish program if you haven't done it.

http://www.gofishbc.com/learntofish/default.htm

There are two ponds at the hatchery. They just put fish into them recently so class sessions have begun. Group or individuals can set up a time for it. Best to phone the hatchery for availability. :)

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »

Thanks Rod, that program looks good! But he'd already pass that stage of fishingskills. He does everything by hisself, from casting 'til catching like I did when I was 5. The only thing I have to do is to clean the fish after if we keep one or unknot the birdsnest... But I think it's worth a try cause he still got to learn so many things and it's fun for sure!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

Confirmation of today's trout stocking as promised.

MARCH 12TH 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Lake name    Number of fish
Lafarge        1,184
Como592

Average weight of these fish is 270 grams.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:03:06 PM »

MARCH 13TH 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Green Timbers        700
Sasamat1,000

Average weight of these fish is 275 grams.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:09 AM »

Spent 3hrs on Sasamat today, teaching the kids to fish.  No bites but saw a school of 20-30 fish near the floating bridge in the shallow water.  They are definately there ready to go.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »

MARCH 16TH 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Mill        700

Average weight of these fish is 240 grams.

Buntzen, Deer (in Burnaby), Schkam, Errock, Whonnock are expected to be stocked on Thursday and Friday.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »

MARCH 19TH 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Deer (in Burnaby)        700
Buntzen        1,100

Average weight of these fish is 267 grams.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

MARCH 20TH 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Lake name    Number of fish    Water temperature (C)
Schkam        7004.0
Errock        3006.0
Whonnock        7007.0

Average weight of these fish is 270 grams.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »

MARCH 25TH 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Lake name    Number of fish    Weight
Lafarge        542,200.00g (surplus brood)
641440.00g (fall catchable holdovers)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »

APRIL 1ST 2009'S RAINBOW TROUT STOCKINGS

Lake name    Number of fish    Water temperature (C)
Buntzen        7686.0
Green Timbers        7687.0

Average weight of these fish is 312.5 grams.