Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471276 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Buck and I were in the upper river this morning, checking on the entrance to Centennial Channel.  During the summer DFO's habitat restoration unit gave Buck and I the green light to oversee a new design for the entrance to this channel.. We had a superb machine operator at our disposal and we think we did a pretty good job of making this entrance more fish friendly ;)  I had looked earlier on and saw thousands of pinks using it but we wanted to see today if the high water had changed things ... it had, but still we saw quite a few coho in the upper end.  Our steelhead counts in the spring will give us more information.

All the way to Slesse Creek is chalky white, indicating some major clay bank intrusions.  Imo, even with freezing temperatures overnight this river will not be fishable for a few days. Others however may disagree ;D
Good work!!!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

still chauky and milky up and down. did see some major soil/bank erosion along the rotary trail at lickman rd.... water is fast and almost 0 visibility.

TheLostSockeye

Found some clear water....  ::)

had a lazy day fishing. Got to the river around 8-8:30 got to the spot and there was already one man leaving and he said there was no action just a bunch of chums. I don't mind catching chums so i was like alright lets do this. I put on my waders and geared up and headed on down to the spot. I didn't even crack the Velcro on my islander reel cover and began casting my little spinning setup twitching a jig. Around 3 people had already worked through the run before i got there 2 of them continued to fish. I was thinking in my mind "If there is any coho in here ill get one within 10 casts" Low and behold on my 4th cast something was tugging at the end of my line. As i saw the fish was a hatchery i landed and retained the fish. This is my first coho on a twitched jig!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:35:41 PM by TheLostSockeye »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

There's no coho left the seasons over!!! Remember?!? :o

Howlongsyourleader

Went today to investigate after the high water and found the river has changed course and no longer flows by my favorite run. Shucks. Pretty impressive what the high water can do. Fished mid and upper river for 4 hrs this afternoon to no avail. Perhaps better luck for the weekend angler.
Have you seen my float?

Drewhill

There's no coho left the seasons over!!! Remember?!? :o

Everyone head to the river!!! one guy got one fish!!! lol  ;D

Upper was really high and brown, lower was worse.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Everyone head to the river!!! one guy got one fish!!! lol  ;D

Upper was really high and brown, lower was worse.

Ya I was just jokin around. We stumbled into a little spot this morning only to find I couldn't see my boots. So we went to another system.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Took a first hand look today and the river is in very bad shape. Some local rods say it could be weeks before it clears. :o

TheLostSockeye

Took a first hand look today and the river is in very bad shape. Some local rods say it could be weeks before it clears. :o

Can confirm that yes visibility is like 0. Managed a big Chrome fish today was a Chinook or chum couldn't identify. Saw a beauty fish get caught and it wasn't a salmon  ::)
Clarity was about same as yesterday.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

The river is carving some nice pools ......but near crowded areas. This morning it was 4 degrees at Vedder bridge. When I reached the slab up river it was a cool -1. .....water was still very milky.

John Revolver

What is causing such low vis? Its been dry the last few days right?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

What is causing such low vis? Its been dry the last few days right?

Last I saw it was slesse that was the problem. Thought for sure the river would have cleared by Friday and We were very surprised to see near 0 vis. Guessing a clay bank issue as the cold weather should have tightened up the mountains by now at least seeing some improvement.

swimmingwiththefishes

Theres actually an inversion happening up high.I skied Whistler today and it was warmer then down in the valley. Going to get very cold midweek so should clear things right up.

farky

River is still pretty milky below ranger run. Not much signs of life in the lower river pools either.

SilverChaser

Fun morning. I'll let TheLostSockeye explain when he gets his arse off the river later  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member