Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder river whitefish  (Read 14330 times)

fish fishburn

Re: vedder river whitefish
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »

I used to fish for the RMW during the fall on the Athabasca River in Alberta. The run on that river is huge. At the time I think we were allowed 50 fish per day. We used to bottom bounce for them with just a maggot on a #12 hook. You won't find a better fish for the smoker.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »

I used to fish for the RMW during the fall on the Athabasca River in Alberta. The run on that river is huge. At the time I think we were allowed 50 fish per day. We used to bottom bounce for them with just a maggot on a #12 hook. You won't find a better fish for the smoker.
They have now closed the Athabasca River in the fall to protect the spawning whitefish. I last fished for them almost 20 years ago after the bait ban was in effect and did well with a Royal Coachman wet fly (also bottom bouncing with 12" leader).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »

My previous post regarding misidentification of RMW and peamouth chub is mainly about what I suspect of happening in the Fraser River by recreational fishermen, because the general angling population is not as informed and interested about both species. I didn't think trained staff would misID during seining too.

I have strong interest in bringing more awareness of these species (including RMW if they indeed extend their range down here) that inhabit in the Tidal Fraser River during certain time of the year. Take a look at this article:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/charges-inculpations/2010/pr04-eng.htm

Currently, both northern pikeminnow and peamouth chub are commonly referred to as "white fish", even by enforcement in Fisheries and Oceans Canada. While the violators in the article deserve the fines, I'd like to know exactly how many of these "white fish" are northern pikeminnow and how many are peamouth chub. The daily quota for non-categorized species is 20 in the tidal region. If the department were to manage and enforce both species as one instead of two, you can see how the number of fish per day that can be kept by anglers would change. My concern is not on how many less fish people can keep, but rather managing fish without using the correct terminology.

Freshwater species that extend their habitat into the saltwater region should be included in the saltwater regulations too (not necessarily more regulations, just be included in the species identification section).

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »

i am interested in these for my many brothers and sisters because they are easy to catch and me and my dad go to the vedder weekly
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »

i am interested in these for my many brothers and sisters because they are easy to catch and me and my dad go to the vedder weekly

You will find that they are actually very hard to catch...

You would be better served waiting till early July for the annual steelhead smolt slaughter. If you are looking for stupid, plentiful fish, those are them  :-\
Actions speak louder than words.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »

You will find that they are actually very hard to catch...

You would be better served waiting till early July for the annual steelhead smolt slaughter. If you are looking for stupid, plentiful fish, those are them  :-\

LOL! funny but sad that its so true!! nicely put.