Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder river whitefish  (Read 14415 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
vedder river whitefish
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »

i was wondering what the best spot on the vedder for white fish thanks in advance.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

skunked

Re: vedder river whitefish
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:29:38 AM »

lower canal or over by barrowtown pump station

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »

It's unlikely you will find whitefish in the Barrowtown area.  In fact whitefish in any numbers are hard to find anywhere in the Vedder - Chilliiwack.  There was a post on FWR  a while back about this very issue.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:08:34 AM »

apperently prisons hole is loaded with them but i can't find that.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »

apperently prisons hole is loaded with them but i can't find that.

Doubt it... no where on the Vedder is loaded with them.
I have only caught one during Steelhead season and only one last summer.
Like Dave said, go research the topic started a while ago.. they are definitely a species that has deteriorated a lot.
Prison Hole is right behind the prison just past Allison if you feel so inclined to go check it out.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »

Whitefish is hard on salminids fry and compete heavily with trout for food, hence such a liberal catch limit(15). Not very plentifull at Vedder, but very numeous everywhere else. They are easy to catch with nimfs on the bottom. Flies like halbacks or ribbed hare's ear work great, even if you bottom bounce with them on4-5" side leader(pater noster).

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »

Whitefish is hard on salminids fry and compete heavily with trout for food, hence such a liberal catch limit(15).

Funny... thats what someone said years ago when they put a bounty on Bull trout/Dolly heads and tails  ::)

The system was fine before we got a hold of it...
Who are we to say that native species that have been living together for years with salmon should be eliminated, just because we have pushed the salmon to near extinction.
This all leads back to greed... pretty soon we'll be finding a way to eat krill when there are no fish left  ::)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »

Whitefish is hard on salminids fry and compete heavily with trout for food, hence such a liberal catch limit(15).
Are you talking about Mountain Whitefish or Pikeminnows?
Mountain whitefish have tiny mouths are are bug eaters while Pikeminnows have large mouths and will eat just about anything.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »

Mountain whitefish have tiny mouths are are bug eaters
Not so. According to my copy of "Fishes of Canada" their diet includes insect larvae, molluscs, plankton, salmon/trout eggs and other fish.  I have caught several whitefish around Herrling Island on smalll spoons while fishing for cutthroat. Perhaps they were hitting out of aggression or curiousity, more likely the spoon resembled prey.

rides bike to work

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:22:24 PM »

I once watched the seining net at cultus lake for pike minnows and there were more white fish than any other speices ,also read an artical in an old fishing magazine from the 80s about catching white fish at the log booms at the logging camp up the east side harrison.They were catching their limit with some up to 6 pounds the pictures looked like mini tarpon.If you really like white fish look up shee fish or known as inconu the tarpon of the north

nineweight

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

Are you talking about Mountain Whitefish or Pikeminnows?
Mountain whitefish have tiny mouths are are bug eaters while Pikeminnows have large mouths and will eat just about anything.

Swing a minnow pattern in the last hour before dusk on the Stave right (in the upper river anywhere below the dam) now and you may be suprised what you will find...

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »

Couple of years ago I caught close to 4lb whitefish in Shuswap river. It was a mid spring, time of  salmon eggs already hatched in to alevins. When I was unhooking this whitefish and gently held her in mid section, she puked out about 25 of this little salmons, some still alive and wiggling. This fish was absolutely gorged with the fry. They also feed on salmon eggs all winter. It is more like a sanitary function, as these are dislodged and spoiled old eggs. In winter time flesh of these fish reeks of spoiled eggs and rotten flesh ans not appealing.
Not many people target them and even less retain them, however it is a tasty fish when fresh. Superb smoked.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »

Such horrible baby salmon killers, we better wack them, stack them and smoke them! All salmon fishermen should do their job to eliminate all natural threats that our dear salmon face at every life stage to maximize their survival. Last year I put up a list of evil species that we need to selectively cull. Here it is again:

Humbolt squid
Salmon shark
Killer whale
Harbour seal
Sea lion
Sea otter
Sea gull
Bald eagle
Golden eagle
Black bear
Grizzly bear
River otter
Bull trout
Cutthroat trout
Rainbow trout
Northern pikeminnow
Sculpin
Lingcod
Rockfish
Pacific cod
Chub Mackerel
Jelly fish
Tuna

Do your part, otherwise there'll be no salmon left soon.
Marlin

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »

you forgot Humans on your list Rod probably the worst offenders and should be dealt with immediately.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »

But that would defeat the whole purpose of the list of evil species in the first place! ;D The point is to kill off all these evil species so we the human race can have all the salmon we want to catch and eat.