Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53385 times)

bobby b

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »

the horse is dead......

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »

You missed my previous post.

Nothing. Like I said, you should try it out and find out.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »

Was out this morning. Saw only 1 fisherman in the 3 hours. Relaxing.

norton

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »

I don't low hole myself. But I could care less if anyone goes around me and low holes me , as they are usually poor fishermen anyway. I just continue on , and ive hooked fished , where they have gone through. You're there to have fun , so why stress yourself out?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:37 PM »

Hrenya, like Rodney said, bring your sturgeon setup and cast a 20 ounce weight bar rig setup into the Vedder.
Will be fun to watch you. And forgive me if I film it and post it on Youtube titled "beek of the week".   ;D

Drewhill

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »

Give it a rest already ..... :o

Was crowded at all spots today for me.... every spot I went to had people planted like posts ( literally ) along the run ....no 'rotation' at all being followed .... I fished the uppermost head of the run, then packed up and tried another spot....same thing going on there ....no one moving....oh well. Chalked it up to being the weekend.... my weekday fishing days are few and far btwn and usually rains buckets on most of 'em... :o
Did get a little 2 lb rainbow and another little fish .....pikeminnow or whitefish ?!? Let both little scrappers go..

Not every run on the Vedder requires rotational angling. Some are better suited for fenceposting.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

name me 1 reason why I can`t bring my sturgeon setup , put 20oz or higher , put a spin-n-glow and catch spring ?! I`ve seen that done and it was productive ... so whats wrong ?! except that I won`t use rotate system , but according you guys its cool if I`m a first one at spot

No one said you can't.  I just said you sound like you want to be a jerk about it.  The difference between you bringing a sturgeon rod and a 20+ oz weight to the Cap and the other guy bringing a fly rod is that your gear is over kill. It has nothing to do with you taking up real estate. If you got there first and were bar fishing I would not complain at all about it.  What I took offence to was you comparing the fly rod on the Cap to your sturgeon rod there.  While the fly rod is perfectly suited to fish the Cap, your sturgeon rod and 20+ oz weight out of place.  Sure you can catch fish with it.  No one is disputing that.  However, you do understand that you do not need a sturgeon rod and 20+ oz weight to bar fish, right? Cap pools are not the Fraser.  If you had just asked if you could show up first and toss out bar rig, then I would have said "fill your boots."  You would probably lose a lot of lead weights in the river rocks though.
Not all those who wander are lost

Tylsie

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:39 PM »

its not like im being stubborn , I just want to understand why someone with gear can do it , and someone with other gear cant .... with using the same amount of water ... maybe even less in my case

So this thread went sideways a while ago, until this? Why is it acceptable for one form of fishing to take up an entire run, when another equally productive style is frowned upon? Both are perfectly legal, in no way inherently interfere with another persons enjoyment, but the one that is probably less intrusive in cramped quarters is actually considered bad form?

The answer I will likely receive is ethics, but who decided that this was the ethics we had to follow? Who defines what is acceptable? The river has changed, the sport has changed. What was true 50 years ago is not true today. This is not a rhetorical question. I am actually curios, if people fish for fun, and a person is not breaking any laws or interfering with anyone else' enjoyment more than another why is it wrong?

EDIT: In response to sandman's post. Your claim that know one would complain about him using a sturgeon rod is negated by Milo's earlier post about filming it and calling it "Beek of the Week" and Rodney's alluded to reference of the same thing. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:45:30 PM by Tylsie »

Drewhill

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »

I wonder how productive bar fishing the cap would be
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:53:58 PM by Drewhill »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2016, 10:58:37 PM »

Simply put...a 20/ounce weight would stick to the bottom and never come out. Overkill...In addition, it would be rather frustrating for Hrenya to deal with all the people casting over his rig and snagging it up. Static and moving lines on the same run don't mix well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »

Actually I'm not implying hrenya is a "beek" if he decides to do so. Seriously, he should go ahead and try to bar fish with a sturgeon rod on the Vedder if he is the first person at the run. I'd be interested to hear his findings. Like what Sandman has said, personally I think it's ridiculous to suggest that you'll actually get some kind of enjoyable using such a heavy setup for salmon in a small system. You have every right to do it, and again, every method has its time and place.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »

As Rodney pointed out, there's a time and a place for everything...with that said, I get bored easily and have a tendency to move from place to place. On any given day I'll cover kilometers of river in search of fish.... but kid you not, if I hit a spot where fish are active and hitting I will stay put until the action dies down. Some may refer to it as fence posting....I refer to it as accomplishing the reason for moving in the first place. It's an idiotic notion, if not a bold face lie to say one does not fence post when fish are biting.

bobby b

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »

Not every run on the Vedder requires rotational angling. Some are better suited for fenceposting.

Fair enough, I get that..... but have fished these same runs many times ....always on a rotation.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »

EDIT: In response to sandman's post. Your claim that know one would complain about him using a sturgeon rod is negated by Milo's earlier post about filming it and calling it "Beek of the Week" and Rodney's alluded to reference of the same thing.

I never said "[no] one would complain about him using a sturgeon rod" I said that no one is saying he can't and that I wouldn't complain if he was bar rigging the pool when I got there (I did point out that you do not need a sturgeon rod and 20oz weight to bar rig in Cap pools as it is not the Fraser).
Not all those who wander are lost

Tylsie

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »

I never said "[no] one would complain about him using a sturgeon rod" I said that no one is saying he can't and that I wouldn't complain if he was bar rigging the pool when I got there (I did point out that you do not need a sturgeon rod and 20oz weight to bar rig in Cap pools as it is not the Fraser).

"you do not need..." If need is the criteria we are going to judge by than where do you draw the line? At issue was ones ability to control a pool. I would argue that if one is going to control an entire pool a heavy bar rod is better choice. A sturgeon rod is able to muscle in a fish faster than any fly rod. The longer a fish is played the more lactic acid builds up and the chance of the fishing dying after release goes up significantly. There is no need to increase the risk to the fish, but people choose to. It is about choice. If a person enjoys a certain method that is legal I don't care. Maybe they don't know another way, maybe they can only afford one rod and a bar rod gives them the most options, I don't know. If a person is following the laws, courteous, and takes into account how his actions will affect the fish I support whatever method they choose.

I fly fish, bar fish, spin cast, ice fish, have tried bow fishing, hand fishing and hope to try just about every method out there. Never cared for judging or dictating. At the end of the day, No one needs to fish!!!