Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backpack, fannypack or chestpack?  (Read 5677 times)

Electroman

Re: Backpack, fannypack or chestpack?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

Is it still a satchel if it has rhinestones on it?
Just wondering if I could use one of my wife's old purses.
I pack light enough I could fit all my gear in one hand for gear or fly.

My girlfriend has enough I'm sure she wouldn't miss one.

crazypop

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »

My Vest fits everything I need. I might got to a backpack for the coffee and lunch while fishing.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »

I use my vest, it carries my lure box, drift gear box, bait, fish, small thermos, garbage, snacks ,"pops" and more if I want.
The Stave always gives me a laugh for how much people bring with them for just chum fishing.
Huge multi things of wool, large totes of food supplies, fancy backpacks or carry bags full of just about every thing the tackle store sells,
loads of tarps heaters nets and on and on.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »

I use a lumbar Pack  ;D   lol made by fish pond for my spey fishing its the beast pack i have ever buaght

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »

Prefer a vest. Lots of room to carry fishing and raingear. I can also pack out my fish if needed.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »

Prefer a vest. Lots of room to carry fishing and raingear. I can also pack out my fish if needed.
Ditto.

I don't take anything with me that I have to set down and then go find it when I move. If I can't carry it on my back when I'm fishing, then generally I don't want it with me.

However when I am fishing the beaches in the summer, and not hauling around a ton of gear, I love my little William Joseph chestpack...mind you, I wear it slung to the side as a "side pack". Love the magnetic closures.

kalex60

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 12:27:48 AM »

I take my vest If I'm looking to keep fish but I use my pack more

bluenoser

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »

bcfisherman97...you pack alot of gear in unusual ways....your a young buck though so you could probably carry me on your back and still fish.

Manpurse LOL...I was thinking it but did not say it!

Ive got a bum shoulder so I started carrying less and less and fishing time has decreased to a couple hours each outing so I dont need to pack a big lunch.

What I'm really wanting is a waterproof waist pack thats functional/affordable and of the ones I've seen so far I havent been that impressed.

BN

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

bcfisherman97...you pack alot of gear in unusual ways....your a young buck though so you could probably carry me on your back and still fish.

Yea I guess I do, well it helps being 6'6 and 195 pounds :P I carry rods, food, water, gear and clothing for both me and my dad. He's got a bad back and I don't like to see him with anything but a jacket and a rod during the day, makes it easier for him. I don't mind carrying our stuff for the time we are out on the river as long he's good for the day. Least I can do for the amount of places he takes me and the time we spend together.

prairiefire

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »

What I'm really wanting is a waterproof waist pack that's functional/affordable and of the ones I've seen so far I haven't been that impressed.

BN

Not too sure "waterproof" and "affordable" can go in the same sentence. :D

Here are a couple options:

http://www.sagebrushdrygoods.com/product_info.php?products_id=26&PHPSESSID=6c995f6279f6d914fd024bc517525a4e

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/packs-and-duffles/seal-pak/product

An affordable way would be to try and source a used,waterproof military surplus satchel.
Here's a place to start:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=163&s=146&d=122

I personally have all three of your options. Backpack,Vest and Hip Pack. I started with a vest and then tried to downgrade to carrying less stuff. I find if I fish gear I like the vest best.(I like to bring the kitchen sink)  If I fish with my fly or spinning rods then I go with the hip pack(Amundson). Backpack I found just plain awkward, even though it's one with a small chest pack attached on front.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:49:53 PM by prairiefire »
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

bluenoser

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »

bcfisherman97 ....it sounds your Dad did a good job of raising you....good job of feeding you by the sounds of it as well:)

I'll check out those links prairiefire....I hear you...waterproof,functional and affordable...maybe I'll have to settle for 2 out out 3.

BN

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »

Vest