Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backpack, fannypack or chestpack?  (Read 5680 times)

bluenoser

Backpack, fannypack or chestpack?
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »

How do you carry your gear?

I usually use a backpack but thinking of investing in a decent chestpack or fannypack because I do less float fishing than I used to and dont need to carry so much gear.

BN

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Backpack, fannypack or chestpack?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »

i use 2 seperate waist/lumbar packs. If you want to call them fanny pack go for it LoL but your supposed to wear them behind you. I use one for my gear stuff and one for fly/spey stuff, only thing that gets moved around is whether im spey or single handed fishing i use different tips/flies
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »

I still take my backpack most often because I like being able to stow lunch / rainjacket / etc in it.  That said, I've been taking a sling-style pack more often lately.  It goes over one shoulder and across your chest (think of the ammo slings in action movies), and when I want something I just rotate it around to my front to get what I need.  Then when I'm done I rotate it back around to my back and out of the way.

Kind of like this (though mine is just a cheap adidas one):

http://www.fliesandfins.com/sling-pack.jpg

patagonia

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »

Fanny pack all the way, had a chest pack, it got it the way all the time, backpack was too cumbersome and awkward to get gear out of... fanny pack has been great for both gear and fly, plenty of room, when u need something swing it around, otherwise it is out of the way.

Simms and Patagonia both make great fanny packs, I have the Simms and love it.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »

Fanny Packer here. I used that cupcakes for everything, hauling around fishing gear, bathroom supplies, and even a food compartment. Mines an upgraded model with a beer holder and a toliet paper roll despensor. Fishing purses look appealing too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:58:09 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »

Look into Sling packs as well!
personally, i want to get the Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling Pack.
There is also the Snowbee Sling pack or Fishpond West Water Series!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »

Fanny Packer here. I used that cupcakes for everything, hauling around fishing gear, bathroom supplies, and even a food compartment. Mines an upgraded model with a beer holder and a toliet paper roll despensor.

:D currently I have a vest but really want to find a satchel that will fit my needs better.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

1son

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »

:D currently I have a vest but really want to find a satchel that will fit my needs better.

X2 on the vest got everything I need in there been good to me so far

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »

Fanny pack all the way, had a chest pack, it got it the way all the time, backpack was too cumbersome and awkward to get gear out of... fanny pack has been great for both gear and fly, plenty of room, when u need something swing it around, otherwise it is out of the way.

Simms and Patagonia both make great fanny packs, I have the Simms and love it.

I found the same thing as you when it comes to the chest pack and the back pacts. I also had a vest which was great till my accident that left me with permanent back injury and the vest just made fishing painful. The fanny pack is what I use now when I do try to go fishing and I love it. I use the one made by Sage and it is big enough to carry what ever I need for drift fishing and I use a smaller one for my fly gear.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Electroman

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »

Haha love the term satchel. Isn't that a man purse?
I pack light and just use the pocket in my waiders.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »

I have a fishing jacket with two big pouches where I put two large fly boxes, and two more pockets where I put my pouch with all my tips in it and the other for my leaders. Then over top I have a Trophy XL vest with the large back pocket going around the whole waist line. I have all my gear fishing stuff in it and my bait. Then I have a backback on that I attach my rod cases to and put my reels, food, water, extra clothing etc inside.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »

Haha love the term satchel. Isn't that a man purse?
I pack light and just use the pocket in my waiders.

Not a man purse it's a murse lol satchels are the best for hiking like I do. I had one in the past but for some stupid reason sold it lol. The Patagonia ones look really nice, I think one is going on the wish list.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »

I use a combination of river vest and a man purse.  I switch back and forth between the two depending on where I am fishing, and what I am fishing for.  But for me, the man purse is the was to go.  A loaded vest hurts the back after a long day fishing,  my purse does not.  Spend the money, find a good one.  Simms makes nice ones, I also saw an Amundsen purse at army and navy that looked half decent, 60$ish..

76t7

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:27 AM »

i use a backpack that  also has a chair built into it. it carries all my gear, food and drinks while leaving my hands free to fish. it also allows me to sit down when my back or feet get tired and still continue to fish. there's never a comfortable log around when you need one.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »

Is it still a satchel if it has rhinestones on it?
Just wondering if I could use one of my wife's old purses.
I pack light enough I could fit all my gear in one hand for gear or fly.