Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 79150 times)

DanL

• Old Timer

As of right now, DFO has very limited authority to implement restrictions on gear and does not have the authority, for example, to compel fishers to only use bar rigs.

Can someone clarify this sentence for me. So the various restrictions referred to on this DFO page ie. single barbless hooks in the tidal fraser, bait bans etc are not implemented by the DFO? If not them, then who exactly has that responsibility/authority?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Can someone clarify this sentence for me. So the various restrictions referred to on this DFO page ie. single barbless hooks in the tidal fraser, bait bans etc are not implemented by the DFO? If not them, then who exactly has that responsibility/authority?
We have been trying to get this done for a long time, i have and still donot understand their reasoning, I wonder if they do themselves?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Perhaps it is our Provincial Government who can put in place gear restrictions.  When you look at the requirement for single barbless hooks to be used in all streams in region 2, it's from the BC Freshwater Regulations.  Bait bans on specific flows are also listed in the Provincial regulations.  DFO is Federal, so maybe that's the issue???

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Perhaps it is our Provincial Government who can put in place gear restrictions.  When you look at the requirement for single barbless hooks to be used in all streams in region 2, it's from the BC Freshwater Regulations.  Bait bans on specific flows are also listed in the Provincial regulations.  DFO is Federal, so maybe that's the issue???

That's been mentioned before. In non tidal waters, i.e. the Fraser above Mission bridge. For example Linda Stevens response to Blair above:

As of right now, DFO has very limited authority to implement restrictions on gear and does not have the authority, for example, to compel fishers to only use bar rigs.

Of course DFO could but does not put that sort of regulation into place in the Fraser below Mission so that's a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

DFO and MOE have been trying to improve coordination of announcements and regulations - I suspect one thing involved is the wish to allow the sturgeon fishery - which probably probably produces more $ for local guides than Chinook - to continue during  a salmon closure. Other fisheries such as for Bull trout, trout and steelhead are marginal to non-existent at this time of year.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

nice call , instead of fishing for fish that majority of "fishermen" they targeting for and got their gear and stamps , you kinda giving green light to them to target species that are endangered  , such as sea run cutties / bulls / sturgeon . That does make a lot of sense now . BUT think , how many of those who already spent $ on gear will go to tackle store and get proper gear for sturgeon ?! DING and DONG ?! how many of them got any idea of c&r ?! or its a challenge we will see a few years after ?! c`mon , be realistic lol .

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

this is just trolling again - you are simply trying to provoke an argument.

If you think sturgeon are endangered then you should have a serious problem with how that fishery is managed and the guide industry that focuses on it - but you can only it in the context of the salmon closure - narcissism pure and simple.  :'( (tears  your logic is so bad it makes me weep)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

I didn't name just sturgeon alone .... 

"Never force conversation on a stranger. They are probably there just to fish and find solitude. If you ask a question or 2 and receive only answers...and no attempt to keep the conversation going, gracefully follow the implied suggestion and leave the angler alone"

so u cant force stranger for talk  . but I u do ....
what is your point ?! if 1 thing you suggested got no luck , look at 2thing ? :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:12:39 PM by hrenya »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

anyone really concerned about bulls & cutties wouldn't support bait fishing in the Fraser what so ever!

Many of the people fishing there will be catching & chub, pike minnow suckers & sculpins

hrenya

don't know if u knew , but sh is trout in tidal waters 

hrenya

anyone really concerned about bulls & cutties wouldn't support bait fishing in the Fraser what so ever!

Many of the people fishing there will be catching & chub, pike minnow suckers & sculpins
dfo said I can target those

Tylsie

this is just trolling again - you are simply trying to provoke an argument.

If you think sturgeon are endangered then you should have a serious problem with how that fishery is managed and the guide industry that focuses on it - but you can only it in the context of the salmon closure - narcissism pure and simple.  :'( (tears  your logic is so bad it makes me weep)

Not trying to get in the middle of this "conversation," but are you trying to argue that Fraser River Sturgeon are not endangered? They are officially listed as endangered for the entire length of the Fraser and its tributaries with the exception of the Lower where they are "threatened!" Every species listed is threatened or endangered, and all for same reason. It is not over fishing, it is habitat loss. They have no where to spawn, the water is too warm and the ocean is a mess. But instead of trying to actually do something about these things the powers that be go after fishermen; with sporties being the easiest target. Now there is no denying that at a certain point fishing moves from a compensatory loss to an additive but that is only after the ability for survival is already very low.

hrenya

Not trying to get in the middle of this "conversation," but are you trying to argue that Fraser River Sturgeon are not endangered? They are officially listed as endangered for the entire length of the Fraser and its tributaries with the exception of the Lower where they are "threatened!" Every species listed is threatened or endangered, and all for same reason. It is not over fishing, it is habitat loss. They have no where to spawn, the water is too warm and the ocean is a mess. But instead of trying to actually do something about these things the powers that be go after fishermen; with sporties being the easiest target. Now there is no denying that at a certain point fishing moves from a compensatory loss to an additive but that is only after the ability for survival is already very low.
u cant argue with "old grumpy man" who had his point from years and years ago ... he still lives in his own world ... he tries to argue with knowledge he has , but update service is temporary not working ... it`s just waste of time .... I`ll get my gear and go for species as per him are not endangered .

Every Day

• Old Timer

Sea run cutthroat are not endangered.
Bull trout and dolly varden are definitely not endangered, and I believe they even had their threatened rating removed recently.
Steelhead are only threatened or endangered in certain systems - and those would be minimally present right now, and are rarely targeted by anglers.

Go ahead and fish for those 3 if you want. If you're tossing a large glob of roe on a chinook sized bar rod - I would ticket you as a CO or DFO officer, because it is not justifiable. If you have a 4-8 pound rod in the holder and 6 pound test on for the bulls and cutthroat, then fine. Chucking spoons and flies is the most selective way to fish for those fish anyway. I agree with Ralph that if you are really concerned about the well being of the trout and dollies, you wouldn't bottom fish bait.

Sturgeon are listed as threatened, but the fishery that takes place has been shown to not cause a negative impact on the population. The population of sturgeon in the lower fraser has increased in the last few years, and are doing quite well. The tagging program that guides carry out is also a bonus and helps research take place on these fish. Boycotting that fishery is useless. I don't necessarily agree with catching the same old fish over and over, but it obviously hasn't caused significant damage and has led to positive things.

In the end... leave all the freaking fish alone right now. The water is hot, and numbers of particular fish are low. It's about time people understand that we don't need to be the ones to kill that last fish. Stop looking for loopholes and go do some different fisheries - it's a good way to expand your horizons. No one NEEDS to fish, and if we truly care, then everyone would stop their whining and would hang up the salmon rods for 1/3 of the poor return years (this year), and wait for the fall rains and plentiful hatchery runs to show up! It's really not a big deal in the end (and you'll forget about it soon enough), and maybe, just maybe, the fish will come back to fish-able numbers in the future rather than going extinct and you NEVER having that opportunity again.

This has probably been the most frustrating year I've ever witnessed on multiple forums and social media. Everyone wants their right to kill, even though there is nothing left. Everyone is arguing about that last slice of the pie that has disappeared from under their noses while they b**ched and moaned to each other about how it's theirs and how they have rights to it. People are willingly saying they will fish anyway and break the law because it's their right - with no regard to that one doe/fish they might accidentally catch, stress out and kill - which could produce 10's or hundreds of offspring. Every single fish does matter at this point - whether you believe that or not is your personal problem. Time to stop all this useless banter. It only gives all sport fisherman a bad name in the eyes of the general public (it's even giving me a bad taste in my mouth towards "rec" anglers). Stop killing the fish and go volunteer your fishing time to do some restoration work, stream fertilizations, brood capture, tagging programs, stream surveys in the fall.

Justin

Keep it closed for a couple years.  Enough is enough.  This goes for all communities that are their to harvest salmon.

Should this not happen open a million hatcheries like on the Columbia. 

Its time for the government to own up to past mistakes and do whatever is neccessary. 

Protect the fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Bull trout and Sturgeon are on the Species at Risk list. The knowledge base on Cutthroat is pretty meager but most indices show the population in the Fraser is at best 5,000 to 6,000 wild fish mostly from above Mission. Both of these are required to released. My comments concerned bait fishing. A very many studies show the c&r mortality with these fish when caught with still fished bait is in the 40% to 50% range which enough to cause population decline if encounters are frequent enough. There are very few wild cutties left below Mission thanks to over fishing and habitat loss.

Anyone who's knowledge exceeds a simple ability to read the regs knows there are not a lot of either fish currently in the lower river - Bulls are in their spawning streams, cutts mostly in the chuck or in big lakes like the Pitt.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:14:26 AM by RalphH »