Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53380 times)

hrenya

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »

nah , I`ve done for 1 time and didn't like it

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »

Yeah but when u have 1 fly fishing guy and he took half a pool , and another dozen floating anglers on a second half - that just looks ridiculas to me , me and my buddy left , but those angler didn`t look happy . so according to you I can come first to the spot , bring my sturgeon setup and hook a 20oz weight cast upstream and lock 2/3 of pool for me - that would a right thing to do ?! that's what you pretty much saying , and I`m saying you should you right gear on a PEAK of season at CROWDED spots . so according to you 2 flyfishing guys can own a pool . this is no fair .

Hrenya, I can think of at least a couple dozen things that are "not fair" in this life, but we have to live with them because that's the way life is. It all depends where you are standing - it is a matter of perspective. For example, I believe among other things that it is not fair that uber rich Asian investors come to Vancouver and Burnaby with millions of dollars and park their money virtually tax-free in prime real estate without even living here, pricing local folk out of the city into the suburbs. But if you ask the Asian investor, they will say it's a great investment opportunity - not something unfair.
Likewise, Hrenya, you cannot dictate who and when should be on the water on any given day. So it is peak season and a rookie fly fishermen is occupying some sweet water? You arrive after him and just because he isn't to your liking, you get upset? So much so that you demand that he practice in a park before hitting the water? Sorry, but that's quite arrogant!! >:(
So according to you, inexperienced anglers had better stay home and let those who know what they are doing have all the fun in peak season?
That is the most preposterous comment I have read in my 15+ years on fishing forums.

FWIW, one of the greatest pleasures of fishing is helping out a newbie angler. Teaching him/her a thing or two and seeing them catch a fish after they implement what you have taught them beats the hell out of catching fish yourself. :)
So next time you see someone taking valuable real estate and not using it accordingly, maybe try and give them a couple of pointers and help them catch a fish rather than bitch and moan and feel your day is ruined because you couldn't fish your chosen pool or run.
Unless you are one of those "it's all about me!" kind of people, in which case nothing I wrote above will resound with you. :-\

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2016, 07:24:50 PM »

Well said Milo.

Walleye76

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »

islanddude

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »

We get a lot of Europeans come to fish the Campbell Quinsam system. Most of them fly fish.
 There is a run in the upper part of the Quinsam that hold cohos most of the time. These guys fish together in motor home caravans. You can forget about fishing in that area because they fish in rotation in the upper end of the river and control the water. They are great at snagging ever fish in the area.
 Once in a while I will get to the best holding pool first. I like the expression on their face when they see me. I fish lures and control all the pool. They try to cast in but can't because I cast over their line.
 If the fish are there I usually release as many fish as I can hoping that they won't bite again. It is my way of rebuking their fishing etiquette. To no avail for as soon as I leave they are in there flossing every fish or snagging them and keeping them.
 The whole concept of fishing has changed since I first started fishing for salmon and steelhead. Lot more people and a lot less fish. As for me I have adapted a different approach to fishing.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »

Hrenya, I can think of at least a couple dozen things that are "not fair" in this life, but we have to live with them because that's the way life is. It all depends where you are standing - it is a matter of perspective. For example, I believe among other things that it is not fair that uber rich Asian investors come to Vancouver and Burnaby with millions of dollars and park their money virtually tax-free in prime real estate without even living here, pricing local folk out of the city into the suburbs. But if you ask the Asian investor, they will say it's a great investment opportunity - not something unfair.
Likewise, Hrenya, you cannot dictate who and when should be on the water on any given day. So it is peak season and a rookie fly fishermen is occupying some sweet water? You arrive after him and just because he isn't to your liking, you get upset? So much so that you demand that he practice in a park before hitting the water? Sorry, but that's quite arrogant!! >:(
So according to you, inexperienced anglers had better stay home and let those who know what they are doing have all the fun in peak season?
That is the most preposterous comment I have read in my 15+ years on fishing forums.

FWIW, one of the greatest pleasures of fishing is helping out a newbie angler. Teaching him/her a thing or two and seeing them catch a fish after they implement what you have taught them beats the hell out of catching fish yourself. :)
So next time you see someone taking valuable real estate and not using it accordingly, maybe try and give them a couple of pointers and help them catch a fish rather than bitch and moan and feel your day is ruined because you couldn't fish your chosen pool or run.
Unless you are one of those "it's all about me!" kind of people, in which case nothing I wrote above will resound with you. :-\

Extremely well put Milo !!

whenever I help someone out with casting it is always in a fishing situation. I do this for many reasons but the main one is watching their reaction when they hook up themselves for the first time. I have helped many people with two handed casting over the last few years, during peak salmon time is the best because they get somewhat instant feedback by the fish that they are doing things correctly and I feel it helps

This year I will be out there teaching my soon to be 7yr old how to fly cast a single hander for trout. I'm sure it will be both rewarding and frustrating all at the same time  ;D

Hrenya - perhaps you could try and dig yourself out of the hole you put yourself in and get out there with your fly rod and see how others react to you as you struggle to cast and fish while learning. I'm actually a little choked about your reaction to that fly fisherman and shocked you would bring it up publicly  >:( you had to have known how it would be perceived by many here.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not suffering these kind of experiences. I fish like its a big fun game of hide and seek with fish. I do notice other anglers, but just keep moving and looking for fish. I am friendly with everyone, fish around fence posts, avoid combat zones and laugh at the grumpy fishing trolls who seem sadly unhappy.
Fishing is supposed to be FUN, if it's not, your doing it wrong.

and yes you can low hole me, I will not be sticking around anyhow
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »

i am going to be the guy who plays devils advocate here. i too like bent rods dont suffer from these kind of experience because i am on the move alot but never in these urban waters would i expect to own a curtain piece of water even if i was there first. as these rivers get busier like we have seen we are going to have to get a long. to expect to own a larger than needed section of river will not work with the present day amount of anglers. i personally save the fly gear for interior trout where i first learned to fish and fish gear for salmon and steelhead, so take it for what its worth. hard enough to keep your hands warm in January let alone getting them wet every cast.

hrenya

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2016, 06:29:31 AM »

I`m glad that I`m not the only one who thinks the same . But I Still don't get it , why you guys making "a big deal" about me sharing MY THOUGHTS , if you read what I posted more careful you would notice that me and bud left to different spot . It`s not really nice to see how you almost aggressively sharing your thoughts for no reason .

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »

Quite often the words we share are misinterpreted on the internet.
I'm sure a face to conversation would have yielded a different result.
I try to proof read my stuff before I post. (Not always successful).
You were speaking from frustration I'm sure but you did wane a a bit 8).

Silex-user

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »

I'm so glad I'm not suffering these kind of experiences. I fish like its a big fun game of hide and seek with fish. I do notice other anglers, but just keep moving and looking for fish. I am friendly with everyone, fish around fence posts, avoid combat zones and laugh at the grumpy fishing trolls who seem sadly unhappy.
Fishing is supposed to be FUN, if it's not, your doing it wrong.

and yes you can low hole me, I will not be sticking around anyhow

X2

Yeah, I am like Rod on this one too.

By way who is this BentRodsGuiding  ;D ;D ;D

Silex user

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »

We get a lot of Europeans come to fish the Campbell Quinsam system. Most of them fly fish.
 There is a run in the upper part of the Quinsam that hold cohos most of the time. These guys fish together in motor home caravans. You can forget about fishing in that area because they fish in rotation in the upper end of the river and control the water...

Rotational angling is a recommended way to allow anglers to fish all the water when there are lot's of anglers. It isn't intended to block out other anglers. When you arrive you just get in the rotation - it's like joining a que. Anglers in Europe seldom get to fish public waters and are usually assigned beats on pay for play fisheries. Could be these anglers are fishing a rotation because it is specified in the BC Angling synopsis and are intending to do as the locals do.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:07:28 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »

I`m glad that I`m not the only one who thinks the same . But I Still don't get it , why you guys making "a big deal" about me sharing MY THOUGHTS , if you read what I posted more careful you would notice that me and bud left to different spot . It`s not really nice to see how you almost aggressively sharing your thoughts for no reason .

Hrenya, if you read my first reply to you more closely (the one right after you responded directly to me), you will notice that I had given you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you respected other anglers, despite you having just said I was WRONG and that I couldn't say "you either have [ettiquette] or you don't, you either respect other anglers or you don't."  Despite you "aggressively" saying that MY THOUGHTS that I shared were wrong, I STILL gave you the benefit of the doubt and said you sounded like you respect other anglers.  It was only after you then followed that post by saying that the fly fisherman was using the WRONG technique for fishing in "peak season" and that it was the same as you using sturgeon gear at the Cap, it was only then that I said you sounded like you just wanted to be a jerk about it.  If you don't want people "aggressively sharing their thoughts," perhaps you should stop "aggressively" sharing yours.
Not all those who wander are lost

fisherforever

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

Sandman's reply X2.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »

Sandman's reply X2.

x3

Hrenya, all is cool. We are all here to share our thoughts. Sometimes our thoughts clash and not seldom barbs are exchanged. It's called freedom of expression. Today Sandman and I happen to stand on the same side of the issue. Tomorrow...only God knows.  ???
We've been on the opposite ends of many topics in all our years here.
If nothing else, we have learned to agree to disagree.
Which is pretty cool, actually. A fine example of democracy at work (at least until Rodney or Dion decide otherwise).  ;D ;D ;D

I echo Bent Rod's comment about fishing meant to be fun. When it isn't anymore, time to find another hobby.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11