Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471309 times)

sbc hris

Got a half dozen pinks on the fly last night. Lower river. 2 were very clean and came home with me.

SilverChaser

Need some help identifying a fish... In the same spot, less than a week apart, I got this little fish on a size 2 hook twice. These fish are maybe 4-5 inches long, and both were caught on roe. They are dark-grey to black looking, kind of fattish, have a tall dorsal fin that's somewhat spiky, and a mouth on the bottom, kind of like a Whitefish. They look so ugly that I didn't even want to touch them. This talk of Greyling made me wonder.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

Need some help identifying a fish... In the same spot, less than a week apart, I got this little fish on a size 2 hook twice. These fish are maybe 4-5 inches long, and both were caught on roe. They are dark-grey to black looking, kind of fattish, have a tall dorsal fin that's somewhat spiky, and a mouth on the bottom, kind of like a Whitefish. They look so ugly that I didn't even want to touch them. This talk of Greyling made me wonder.

- Sucker?

- Northern Pike Minnow?

- Mountain Whitefish?

- Small Mouth Bass?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:04:11 PM by Flytech »

clarki

• Old Timer

Sounds to me like  a sculpin

SilverChaser

Sculpin! That's what it was. Invasive? Harmful?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Wee little bugger.

clarki

• Old Timer

No, neither invasive or harmful.

In fact, a sculpin found in neighboring Cultus Lake is listed as threatened http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/species-especes/cultus_pygmy_sculpin-chabot_pygmee-eng.htm

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The river remains low and clear while light showers are happening in the Fraser Valley. Lots of people fishing at the popular spots like the Vedder Crossing and Keith Wilson Bridge as usual, but overall it's relatively quiet compared to past weekends in late September.

We stopped by the hatchery to see how many fish are in the channel now. There is a good amount of pink salmon, but only some coho salmon, a fraction of what we saw around the same time in 2012.

Dave

• Old Timer

Actually a relatively rare fish nowadays on the Vedder.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!

The good ol sculpin, Bulltrout absolutely love them. I have caught a great number bulls with sculpin tails hanging out of there mouths after the spawn in the fall! Oh ya summer-runs like them too, but hey summers don't feed in the rivers waiting for the spring spawn!  ::)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

mikeyman

Vedder brown in lower...less than ft of vis. No bites on roe wool combo.

DRP79

Was out yesterday for a few hours. River was quite low but the rain was steady. Managed to hook and lose a pink, then landed a wild coho that I had thought was a big pink female till I got my hands on it. She had a bit of color to her already. Then accidentally gave a humpy a new back piercing and let him go and then headed home. Really need this rain though.

SilverChaser

Water was brown and fairly high this morning; still managed a few pinks.

Nicolas The Fisherman

Hit the lower for an hour this morning. Water was high and dirty. Should have checked the Real-time Hydrometric Data Graph prior to heading out as I would have seen the sudden jump in water level. ;D We were absolutely pounded by heavy rain and very strong winds. Once the storm passed I headed home as the water was too dirty for my liking. Chucked a couple big spoons with a couple pinks to show but that was it. I did get a spring jack yesterday as did a few other guys. Hopefully the river clears up for Tuesday. ;)

samw

These were taken at noon on Sunday in about 2 feet deep water in the Lower.  But by 5 or 6 pm, visibility was 0.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:27:21 AM by samw »