Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 165870 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

I just checked it out, It has dropped alot like 3 feet, so Its on the verge of coming back into shape.

I couldnt get close to the river too see, but It looked to be a combination, of the river, side creeks, and rain pooling.
Keep your eyes open for fish when the water receeds, a few may have been push or ventured the wrong way and will be trapped in holding water.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Everyday was all that water from the river coming over its banks or is that just from all the rain water and snow melt gathering in one area???

Was wondering the same? C.G.'s pic's show the river lower then I would have expected, choc. for sure but at it's level now it's similar to May fishing when the freshet has started....How the hell did all that water get up there???
The pumps that are along the Vedder Canal could not handle the volume of water from the drainage ditches created by the rain 166 mm ( 6 and a half inches for our Southern neighbors ;D) and the melting snow. Nothing to do with the Vedder as it did not even get over the first banks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:46:16 PM by chris gadsden »

Every Day

• Old Timer

It was not the Vedder that flooded. All the ditches on the sides are over flowing. One thing to be careful of while driving down keith wilson is to stay in the middle because you cant see the road at all and there are deep ditches on both sides of the road, so be careful.

Greendale is not the only area. Farefield Island, Yarrow, Prarie Central Road out by Promontory all have major flooding. Chance (the school) is big time flooded. Another bad part is Chilliwack Lake Road. Had a friend go up there yesterday and he said that half the road is missing from washouts and slides. The whole road is closed just after Pointa Vista cafe and you need to take a detour through the dubdivision to get around. He turned around at Allison Pools, aparentally the normal washout spot is ok.

Looks like they are forecasting another 30 mm of rain tomorrow... should be intersting to see what happens. Snow level is way down so we might be ok, hopefully  :-\

Fishmaster J

Feel so sorry for the folks in troubled areas...  Does anyone know how Keith Wilson rd is now? If there are any more pics it would be appreciated.  And whats the colour look like on the river today?

tight lines

Every Day

• Old Timer

Just got back from the River.... Lower is still a puky brown colour with almost no vis at all. Even the creeks running into the river are not very good with about 1-2 feet of visi at most. Took a drive up Chilliwack Lake Road and wow. Tons of slides happened out there, 2 or 3 areas where only one vehicle can get through at a time because half the road is missing. Shouldnt be too long now if the rain decides to hold off  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:40:01 PM by Every Day »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Feel so sorry for the folks in troubled areas...  Does anyone know how Keith Wilson rd is now? If there are any more pics it would be appreciated.  And whats the colour look like on the river today?

tight lines
Still flooded just East of the KWB bridge. South Sumas Road area still a mess, a disaster area. Two TV satellite trucks there so there will be coverage on Global this evening.

Lots of traffic just looking like me but I have an excuse as I live in the area.

When I came home a chap came to test our tap water for bacteria, told us to boil it for now.

Visibility of the Vedder is about 4 to 6 inches, very light rain so far today and fairly cool with the snow level down low on the mountains

Fishmaster J

Wow, too bad.  Hopefully those affected can get back to their lives and we can get back to our stealhead within the next couple of days, I heard of some big bruisers heading upriver last week...   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Looked pretty cloudy on my way to Vancouver this afternoon when I drove across the Freeway Bridge. Maybe someone else got a closer look.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard

Fished up river today above clay banks, good visibility today, I'd say 3-4'. Fished some beautifull water today and struck out :-\

jeff

I was up top today below cement slab water was not to bad could have been better My buddy landed a wild one about 8 or 9 pounds and  I lost one hope the rain holds off and the water will clear up.
Enjoying the water..........

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water does not look too bad so I am going to make my first trip of the year after I tie up some roe bags. I will give a better report when I return. The Master is out there now and said he has caught them in worse conditions so we will see. ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Fishable. Not great, almost 2 feet vis it you look close.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water does not look too bad so I am going to make my first trip of the year after I tie up some roe bags. I will give a better report when I return. The Master is out there now and said he has caught them in worse conditions so we will see. ;D
Water was fishable as my report under fishing reports will relate, later after badminton. ;D ;D ;D

Fishmaster J

Yup, went down this morn, canal is pretty high and 0 vis, mid is fast and pretty damn cloudy still, found some beautiful water below and beyond Allison. A few guys out crowding the easy upper stretches, no action though...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Anyone know the condition down on lickman?
Fishable this afternoon but it can change at any time due to the slides in the Chilliwack River Valley.

In talking to Dave at the flood meeting today the Slesse Slide has had some mud go over the berm we had built some time ago.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25