Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471256 times)

bj23

It was a pretty good day, a few coho were sitting in less than a foot of water so it made it pretty funny to see a coho swimming less than 3 feet away from my feet.  :o Hooked into only one coho but lost it quickly at the shore, one guy below at the tail out of the run got a nice hatch so congrats to him! ;D Chum are everywhere still, my buddy got a nice little doe and I hooked a couple of them... didn't land a thing today. ;D
Good chat this morning with a couple guys who fished the same run, everyone was enjoying that cold November wind right down to the half frozen finger tips.  ;)
Left shortly after 10, went to Chehalis and saw and hooked nothing, my buddy was the only one who got a nice coho floating a jig today. But over all it was a good day, more hiking than landing fish today but oh well, that is the name of the game sometimes. :)

Great story - I can relate.

TheLostSockeye

Heres the difference between my 14lb coloured up doe and my buddie's chrome 9lb doe.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

So that dude will stand at a choke point doing that all day until he snags one in the mouth? Is that what all the people fishing those rapids are doing?

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Didn't see you today where were ya?

Filmed a disgraceful video yesterday at the slab on the upper river.

" Sorry about my commentary I was really pissed at this guy because he hooked a hatch coho in the belly and literally dragged it 12 feet up on shore to get the hook out. He was going to bonk if I hadn't said anything. "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ppBPiwAx8

Wow...in his nice waders with a Center Pin and all...smh. Anyway, fished the upper this morning starting at 8:00 AM. Landed 2 hatchery chrome cohos. 1 buck and 1 doe both around 6-7 lbs. Hooked and released lots of chum some of them were in good condition. 1 Chinook in good condition (Released). Awesome day today!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Kind of amusing that some invest so much money on gear and can endure that tedious repetition of dipping and jerking all day long lol, all for a few chances of hooking hatchery coho "fairly" in the mouth. What's even more baffling is that right now you can catch coho salmon quite easily with all kinds of proper methods in the right waters - Spinning lures, fly fishing, float fishing with roe, jigging jigs... It probably takes less time to get your limit doing it properly than standing there all day jerking away.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

So that dude will stand at a choke point doing that all day until he snags one in the mouth? Is that what all the people fishing those rapids are doing?

Pretty much. There are some spots through big Boulder runs where you can find biting fish in a slick or a seam, but in that video those men are not fishing.

TheLostSockeye

he wasnt waiting until he hooked one in the mouth he was keeping every hatchery no matter where he hooked them. He only stopped becuase i went and confronted him about it and told him that's illegal. like i said he hooked a hatch in the belly and he had it 12 feet on the shore before i told him. Why spend $500 on a CP to just snag? so ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:49:45 PM by TheLostSockeye »

Tylsie

I haven't fished the C/V in years, so pardon my ignorance but I forget what the slab run looks like. In the video it looks like towards the tail out a pool is forming. If not a pool, I guarantee that there us a couple of seems in that slacker water that they coho were holding before working their way up the rapids and passed him to get snagged. He could of walked 20yds down stream and probably got into the whole school before they headed up.

milo

• Old Timer

Why spend $500 on a CP to just snag? so ridiculous.

For the same reason many people spend serious $$$ on luxury and sports cars only to drive like idiots breaking every traffic and common courtesy rule. Money doesn't cure stupid.

TheLostSockeye

Like my buddy always says you cant fix stupid.

Honestly if there wasn't so many guys snagging all these fish ethical fisherman could slay cohos fishing roe or spoons down below these rapids fishing close to shore. You can literally stand on the dyke and count the cohos as they swim by. I was only up there sitting around a campfire watching the gong

243Pete

Sure was chilly, only that one wild to hand and I left shortly after you did and hit the upper.  No sign of coho but walked a few doggies and battled a couple springs (one was in great shape).  I then hit the lower and nothing was showing itself so went back to mid-river for the last of the day and had a few dips in the first 10 casts and then nada.  Nice talking with you Pete.

I should have worn another layer underneath my jacket... only had a T-shirt on underneath my Redington jacket so I was getting a tad chilly. Me and my buddy thought of heading to the upper but decided to just head on over to the Chehalis instead, at least you landed more fish than me, haven't had many days where I couldn't land a single thing but oh well I still had fun. 8)

Hahaha! what the heck? TheLostSockeye wow man... that is just nuts... I know people sometimes get desperate to catch fish but that is just... ughh.
Nice roe! I like that 14 pound colored chum roe! that will make some for some really nice steelie bait this winter. ;D

Shinny

Didn't see you today where were ya?

Filmed a disgraceful video yesterday at the slab on the upper river.

" Sorry about my commentary I was really pissed at this guy because he hooked a hatch coho in the belly and literally dragged it 12 feet up on shore to get the hook out. He was going to bonk if I hadn't said anything. "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ppBPiwAx8

What's the term Beak mean: this a slang term for flossing and ripping?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

What's the term Beak mean: this a slang term for flossing and ripping?

Beak, new or ignorant fisherman, the type of guy that'll come squeeze in between you and your buddy and yap all day long about how many fish he catches. Which includes all the snagged fish.

Basically it's a fishing douche bag.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Though fishing douche bag is a little strong when referring to novices.
Those are the folks that might be taught to do it properly
I would apply it to those that are knowingly ignorant however.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It took less time to catch these two this morning than the duration of that video... ;D

Got out for a couple of hours this morning and the first hatchery fish was hooked on the second cast a few feet in front of me as I reeled in the spoon. Once I dispatched it and bled (or at least that's what I thought I was doing), I brought it down to the water to give it a rinse. It wiggled hard once and slipped out of my hand, and suddenly just darted away into the river! :o Of course I was cursing away at myself as I walked back to the rod... ;D But I was sure that it would float back up because there was no way that fish lived. Sure enough, a minute later the white belly showed up 50 feet downstream from me and I quickly ran down and grabbed it. This time I cut the gill some more and kept it far away from the water. ::) Once I picked the rod up and made a few more casts, another fish grabbed the spoon when it was on the drop. It grabbed it so hard and started running so I thought it was a chum salmon, but turned out to be another hatchery coho around the same size. As I was landing this fish, I turned around and looked on the beach, the first fish was in the water again! :o I quickly dispatched this one, and ran back down to the water to grab the other. ::)

The rest of the outing was pretty uneventful. No more bites at the same spot which was surprising. I stopped by another spot where it produced two mornings ago, but I was sure the water would be too low. It was low, but still looked fishy. First cast in with the spoon yielded another wild fish and I decided to quit then.

Pretty quiet along the river, lots of vacant spots where you can enjoy some quality coho salmon fishing, except the Tamahi rapids, where parked cars lined up at 6am. :o River condition is still very good. Lets see how this forecasted heavy rain does this afternoon.