Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on fishing boats.  (Read 13942 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Advice on fishing boats.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »

I have to admit - eliminating the need for a trailer is definitely a bonus.  Just one more thing:

Is it possible to get the zodiac in the trunk of my car?  I driver Toyota Corolla and I think that might be an issue if it takes a lot of space.

I already have an inflatable craft, albiet inadequate for more than one person, and I have to say I find it a real pain in the butt dealing with the setup before I go out and the clean up when I get home.  It's one of a number of reasons I am thinking of going with solid bodied boat.  Another thing I really don't like is the amount of floor space taken up by the inflatable.

I guess there is no perfect answer but this has certainly given me more to think about.   Thanks a lot for all of the info.

(I will take BBronswyk's advice and wait till I have enough to put into this. In the meantime, I will be doing more research)

Good decision, you wont regret it. When I decided to buy my dream boat for still waters I made sure I had the money to buy exactly what I wanted. I wanted the boat that would last me the rest of my life.

Here is my rig. Its a 10' medium Spratley

The boat itself was a tad over $2000 after taxes. In total after everything ( including trailer ) I am in it for a tad over $4000. I installed wooden floors, added the electric motor ( Maxuum of course ) lots of scotty flush mounts and two side mounts, two quick release seat mounts ( use riv nuts to install them ) extended the cables on the motor so I could put two batteries up front so that it distributes the weight in the boat.

Than bought a trailer from Home Depot for $1000. It is a multi purpose trailer I can use to haul my boat or haul anything else I wanted to haul.

I didnt want to regret my purchase, have to sell it in 6 months, lose a bunch of money just to buy exactly what I wanted. Just remember I bought everything new. If you buy used you can save significantly. Its almost impossible to find a used Spratley but their are other boats out there that are nice as well.

I love my boat its like another kid to me ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »

Fishseeker, what you might also want to do is try and find a few guys with the boat styles you're thinking of getting. Maybe someone with an inflatable, another with a v-hull,  a Jon boat, and maybe a short wide boat like a spratley. Jon boats and prams get confused by some folks depending on definition. The factory jon boats in your range tend to be longer and skinnier than ones refered to as prams.

Hit me up if you're interested. I'm not selling any but I've got a 10ft cartopper, and 12ft one also. And a 14ft Jon boat. I use Gas and electric motors for all depending on needs.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »

You guys have all been very helpful.  All I can say is thanks a lot. I appreciate the feeback.

Bbronswyk, that looks like a terrific boat and I think that is likely the kind of thing I will ultimately be looking for.   I would rather have exactly what I want rather than a compromise that half works.   Some folks suggested a 12' or more might work best for me if I am thinking of taking more than two people out, something I need to think about because it will likely be just me 80% of the time.   (Portability is a big consideration too - I may prefer a smaller boat that is comfortable with 2 people but no more than that if it means I can get out on my own more easily).

I will be looking for second hand deals and I am going to spend a lot of time figuring out whats right (Not to mention the job situation these days - I would hate to spend all this money and find the income drying out).   By the way, I was looking on craigs list for deals in washington state just to see whats available.   Not only is there more available on account of population but the prices seem more favorable too (even if I take the weaker Canadian dollar into account).   

Thanks also for all your feedback Jay.   I may well be getting back to you for more info if thats OK.  As I read and learn more things I can see I might run into more questions.

Like I say, I am specifically interested in still water fishing in lakes so I would be looking for the kind of boat most appropriate for that purpose.  My biggest challenge is convincing my wife who has been a bit alarmed by my headlong dive into this sport since I took it up two years ago :) [If I have a comfortable boat I may even be able to convince her to join me from time to time].
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:20:12 AM by fishseeker »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »

A Zodiac can be transported in a car with no problems.
Air floor is a good way to go - they are very stable though you may want to get a high pressure pump since most air floors can take more pressure than the tubes. I have both the air and plywood floors for my 10' and I only use the air floor.
I do most of my fishing in the interior and my inflatable is no worse in the wind than an aluminum V bottom boat. They have an inflatable keel which helps to track straight. It is massively better than any flat bottomed boat.
It cannot get swamped.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »

A Zodiac can be transported in a car with no problems.
Air floor is a good way to go - they are very stable though you may want to get a high pressure pump since most air floors can take more pressure than the tubes. I have both the air and plywood floors for my 10' and I only use the air floor.
I do most of my fishing in the interior and my inflatable is no worse in the wind than an aluminum V bottom boat. They have an inflatable keel which helps to track straight. It is massively better than any flat bottomed boat.
It cannot get swamped.

You really think the Spratley is getting swamped lol Not a chance. I have been in a 2 foot chop with it and their was not even a chance of any water getting in it.

I have a buddy with an inflatable. I get out on the water and about another 15 minutes he is finally launching. I usually back my trailer up right to the water. Although the Spratley is heavy about 160lbs I can slide it right off the trailer and in the water. I am also installing transom wheels to the boat. With the wheels I can launch in places where I cant back up the truck by just pulling the boat down to the water. Inflatables might be for some but one thing the welded aluminum is it will last a lifetime.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »

You really think the Spratley is getting swamped lol Not a chance. I have been in a 2 foot chop with it and their was not even a chance of any water getting in it.

I have a buddy with an inflatable. I get out on the water and about another 15 minutes he is finally launching. I usually back my trailer up right to the water. Although the Spratley is heavy about 160lbs I can slide it right off the trailer and in the water. I am also installing transom wheels to the boat. With the wheels I can launch in places where I cant back up the truck by just pulling the boat down to the water. Inflatables might be for some but one thing the welded aluminum is it will last a lifetime.
There is no one best option. Just because it meets your requirements does not mean that it meets the original poster's.
Some people do not have room to store a boat or trailer so a Sprately is simply not an option.

Freeboard on a Spratley is fine, but most Jon boats are pitiful. They get loads of water in (you should know this from your frog boat experience :).
I've seen Jon boats running into the wind with their jon boats - I'm sure the chop is quite comfortable.
Also good luck getting your trailer into the lakes I fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »

There is no one best option. Just because it meets your requirements does not mean that it meets the original poster's.
Some people do not have room to store a boat or trailer so a Sprately is simply not an option.

Freeboard on a Spratley is fine, but most Jon boats are pitiful. They get loads of water in (you should know this from your frog boat experience :).
I've seen Jon boats running into the wind with their jon boats - I'm sure the chop is quite comfortable.
Also good luck getting your trailer into the lakes I fish.

Thats why the frog boat is gone ;)

Once the wheels are installed on the transom I can get the Spratley in anywhere an inflatable can go. Also usually I am fishing with a buddy so we can also carry it in anywhere. The only places I cant get in is hike in lakes but than you wouldnt be able to get into those either. I do agree that their is no one best option. I have learned that with the 5 or 6 boats I have owned in my time.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »

It really is interesting hearing all of your opinions because I can see there really is no one best option.   I can also see that some of you have been through a few boats trying to find out - thats what I am trying to avoid because that gets to be expensive.  (So far I have already been through one "experiment" myself :()

Fortunately I have another space for a boat with trailer so that is a possibility for me.  Its all going to be a tradeoff between price, portability, stability and convenience.   I just want to be able to get to the water with as little messing about as possible and to be comfortable when I am on it.  Anything that will maximise the enjoyment of fishing for one or two people.  Right now I am thinking a solid bodies boat will serve that purpose better but the price is a real factor for me unfortunately. (Thats why I will be seriously considering the zodiac option too).

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »

The Spratley is an awesome flyfishing platform for 1 or 2 people but if you want something for the family ie 2 adults 2 kids you would be better off with a conventional 12 foot Lund or similar.
A 9.9 and a 40 lb maxima for trolling.
There out there if you look hard enough.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 09:20:22 AM »

Thanks firstlight.   I think its likely to be just me 80% of the time and me plus one other person the other 20% (The ability to take two adults and an 8 year old is a bonus for those odd occasions when that would occur but not essential).

Do any of you have opinions on boats like this one:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/boa/968657908.html

I have seen them in marine shops.   Would this one be adequate for 2 people? They look pretty lightweight and portable.

Min

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 08:23:14 PM »

I have three boats that I use for fly fishing.  A 12' Harbercraft, quite old but very good shape, great for just myself, good with two, will work with three people in, use either my 3hp Johnson or my Maxuum.   An 8' fibreglass, rows good, use the maxuum, solo use only although it will hold three.  These two have the advantage that they are very durable and not too heavy for one person to handle.  Both have fittings for wheels to make them easy to move around.  I carry either one on an overhead rack, on my utility trailer.

A 10' zodiac with inflatable keel and wooden floor.  I have fiitted it with a pedestal seating arrangement and use either of the motors for power.  I inflate/deflate it to travel and carry it in the trailer with my supplies.  Although this is a sturdy boat, I always worry about hull/pontoon damage.  As far as fishing, it is the most stable and nicest one of the three to fish with, but, there is the setup/take down hassle.

The result of all this is that I use the 8' fibreglass for the majority of my trips.  I can load/unload easily by myself, the electric powers it around quite well, and being 'glass is nearly indestructable.

Apologies for being long winded,
Min

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »

Not long winded at all.  Thank you Min.

It's interesting that you and a some others on this thread have more than one boat for different purposes.  I think I am going to need something that is durable, easy for one person to handle, stable and good for at least two people.     Something like your 12' Harbercraft would probably work really well for all of those purposes.[..and I know there is no best craft]

If the boat is light enough for an overhead rack so much the better - that way I could postpone purchasing a trailer until I have the funds.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »

I use Zodiac Fish'n Hunt 11'.  Can sit 5 people.  But for fly casting you can have 2 casting, one front one back and 2 kids (mine is 8 and 7yrs old) in the middle jigging or float fishing.  Even with the entire boat filled with water you won't sink.  For large lakes I usually mount a 9.9hp gas motor and a Maxima 45lb electric motor.  Works great.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »

I use a square sterned canoe a regular one. A kayak and an assortment of inflatables to get around in.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »

I'm in  a similar 'boat'...lol.
I would have to agree with BB that you may want to save up abit more in order to get a setup that is more substantial and you won't have to think of upgrading.
The kind of setup even in Washington from my observations are going to run you $1000us - for older equipment, ie mid 80's boat and motor, conventional V hull. So adding the exchange rate, gst, pst + applicable duty (depending on running gear) + gas and time... you're not likely going to be within your $1000 budget.

BB... that's a nice setup you have!