Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser  (Read 50010 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »

So let me see if I understand this.

The Fraser is closed to fishing for salmon, to protect interior steelhead. However, you may fish for actual steelhead, the species being protected, as long as you’re not mistaken to be targeting salmon?

poper

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »

The Fraser is closed to fishing for salmon, to protect interior steelhead. However, you may fish for actual steelhead, the species being protected, as long as you’re not mistaken to be targeting salmon?

I think we need Ralph to break this down for us.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »

Another Seneca quote "It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness"
I think someone in this thread has traveled a very rough road.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2018, 12:40:25 PM »

That is right but given the number of fish expected to return it is probably a waste of time.

DFO can only set openings, closures and limits for the 5 salmon species in non-tidal waters. They cannot close steelhead fishing above Mission. While the Thompson and sections of the Fraser River in Region 3 will close Oct 1st, the Province does not look interested in closing steelhead angling in the river in any part of Region 2. So I guess DFO could argue why bother to close trout in tidal waters if they are open above Mission.

Lately DFO has also been closing the entire river from the mouth to Hope in response to specific conservation concerns.

DFO also does not impose restrictions on specific types of tackle - they do not institute bait bans or put fly only regulations into place or ban fishing from boats (as has been done on the Thompson) - they either close a species, related species (ie salmon, rockfish) or all fishing.

Yes there is a lot of screwy stuff that DFO does, as does the Province at times.  My guess DFO is out to reduce the chance of interceptions of steelhead by anglers fishing for salmon and they had to close the entire section from Hope to the mouth to do that 'fairly' and with consistency in their view. As I said this my interpretation of this particular regulation change.

I also think there is a good chance that soon after Oct 24th we'll see a full gillnet fishery for chum salmon as they have not accepted the view that the commercial fishery is mainly responsible for the radical decline of IFS we've experienced. They also believe that biggest part of the IFS run is past Mission by late October - which is by no means certain and the Province hasn't bothered to prove incorrect.

So we have gained basically nothing since last year's campaign to do something to save what's left of the IFS.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:42:09 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »

Another Seneca quote "It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness"
I think someone in this thread has traveled a very rough road.

here's another related quote:

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Sun Tzu from The Art of War

I'd say the Sport Fishing Community is pretty much in the "...know neither the enemy nor yourself..." state, which is my bigger point whenever I write on these topics.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »

Hi everybody,

This closure sucks, but there is something we can do to complain to the right people who are in charge.  I recommend everybody on this board write to them and explain to them closing October Fraser Salmon means to them.

Hon Jonathan Wilkinson Minister Jonathan.Wilkinson@parl.gc.ca
Rebecca Reid, Director General   rebecca.reid@dfo–mpo.gc.ca

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2018, 10:44:26 PM »

I have written to both of them and blasted them for the closure until Oct 24 for us sporties but they let commies and FN nets killing the steelhead in the chum roe fishery. I point out to them that by delaying the fishery so late into October, they basically shut out most of the seniors who are too old and infirm to drive far to fish and too frail in health to take the cold elements of late October or even November. The seniors only have so many years left to fish for salmon in the only available fishery to them, and many of them wait patiently for this fishery. Now DFO just cruelly rob them of this fishery with little proof that bar fishermen can decimate steelhead like the commies and FN can do with their nets.

One thing though is the Rebecca Reid's email can't be delivered. Can someone find out why? This is the message I got:

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to rebecca.reid@dfo–mpo.gc.ca because the domain dfo–mpo.gc.ca couldn't be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try agai

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »

I have written to both of them and blasted them for the closure until Oct 24 for us sporties but they let commies and FN nets killing the steelhead in the chum roe fishery. I point out to them that by delaying the fishery so late into October, they basically shut out most of the seniors who are too old and infirm to drive far to fish and too frail in health to take the cold elements of late October or even November. The seniors only have so many years left to fish for salmon in the only available fishery to them, and many of them wait patiently for this fishery. Now DFO just cruelly rob them of this fishery with little proof that bar fishermen can decimate steelhead like the commies and FN can do with their nets.

One thing though is the Rebecca Reid's email can't be delivered. Can someone find out why? This is the message I got:

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to rebecca.reid@dfo–mpo.gc.ca because the domain dfo–mpo.gc.ca couldn't be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try agai

Phone her and find out!  604-666-6098  http://www.goc411.ca/en/62089/Rebecca-Reid
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »

Address not found

I think that domain was down when you tried.  I got an auto response from info@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contact-eng.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »

Not sure what everyone has been expecting when you all signed the petition to House of Commons on Interior Fraser River steelhead... but this was one of the measures that was expected to be taken to save the runs. It's unfortunate, we'll miss the peak of the hatchery coho fishery on the Lower Fraser River, but if it can keep the commercial and FN beach seine chum fisheries on hold until the river reopens, then it's a worthy cause. Everyone's pressuring to have not have their fishing opportunities taken away, but in the end the losers are the fish.

If in the next few weeks chum salmon netting takes place, then we have a problem. In the meantime, be cautiously optimistic rather than assuming everyone else is going to be fishing except us.

The Lower Fraser River remains open for bull trout and cutthroat trout fishing (yes, steelhead is open, the province needs to get their act together, but don't purposely go out and target steelhead just because you can, because that's just a jerk move). The bull trout fishing anywhere downstream from the Pitt River confluence is amazing throughout October on light spinning tackle or a 5wt fly rod.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2008/11/09/a-very-wet-battle/

Sage2106

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »

The fn are beach seining right through this weekend and into early next week already. So clearly the closure to protect the steelhead a big priority only for the rec sector.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »

What's the FN # for this opening?

Sage2106

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

If you look at fraser river fisheries and look at the lower fraser it shows them in there. Till tue for food social and ceremonial and economic opportunity till tue as well.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »

Looks like its business as usual for the FN. Stsailes and Scowlitz First Nation have 2 days Monday and Tuesday next week from the Harriaon to Laidlaw. Beach seine. That's alright. At least it's no gill netting.

Sage2106

« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »

Does it matter its not gill netting? A closer for conservation should be a closer for all.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13