Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser  (Read 49056 times)

Dr. Backlash

Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser
« on: September 21, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »

Hey folks,

Normally Hatchery Coho season opens the first weekend of October and I was getting pretty excited about it.  Until I just looked at the regs for the Tidal Portion of the Fraser 29-11 to 29-17 and they say Non-Retention until October 24th.

So did they change the regs this year and we arent able to keep hatchery coho in the tidal fraser for the first 3.5 weeks of October (until after the bulk of the run has already gone up river)? 

If any of you could please confirm that this is the case I'd really appreciate it. (I sure hope its a typo)

Thanks a bunch and have a great weekend!

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »

I don't think the Fishery Notice is out yet for the Fraser Hatchery coho.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

Not sure what the plans are for this but the dates seem to line up with oct 24

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »

Interesting.  Do you think DFO believes recreational anglers in the tidal portion of the Fraser River actually catch steelhead anymore? while fishing for coho? Sure maybe the commercial/first nations gill netters could catch them as bi-catch while targeting chum. But I think recreational anglers in the tidal portion of the fraser have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning than actually catching a steelhead while fishing for coho.  What a joke if they don't open it for retention of hatchery coho until the 24th to protect interior steelhead. How many here have caught a steelhead in the tidal portion of the fraser?

Definitely starting to get a bit concerned that there won't be a coho season this year, and we're getting the shaft

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »

Interesting.  Do you think DFO believes recreational anglers in the tidal portion of the Fraser River actually catch steelhead anymore? while fishing for coho? Sure maybe the commercial/first nations gill netters could catch them as bi-catch while targeting chum. But I think recreational anglers in the tidal portion of the fraser have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning than actually catching a steelhead while fishing for coho.  What a joke if they don't open it for retention of hatchery coho until the 24th to protect interior steelhead. How many here have caught a steelhead in the tidal portion of the fraser?

Definitely starting to get a bit concerned that there won't be a coho season this year, and we're getting the shaft

as long as they shut down the commercial harvest, I don't complain whether fraser river coho is open or close

RICHARD CRANIUM

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »

I have absolutely no problem using roe during this fishery.
Given what is fully endorsed by DFO in the Park Royal stretch of the Cap.
IMHO

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »

the hypocrisy among some 'sports' anglers is hilarious! ;D

Creel surveys back in the 80 and 90s consistently found more IFS were caught and killed in the Fraser bar fishery than in the Thompson itself.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »

the hypocrisy among some 'sports' anglers is hilarious! ;D

Creel surveys back in the 80 and 90s consistently found more IFS were caught and killed in the Fraser bar fishery than in the Thompson itself.

Then you are also aware that in the 80s and 90s, that the number of IFS killed in the Fraser Chum Gillnet fishery far surpassed what was killed by bar fishermen....
Like usual Ralph, you only post what you want people to hear.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »

usual strawman argument RG.LOL!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sage2106

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »

I don’t know how the bar fishery in the Fraser was killing steelhead into the 90’s when it was closed to retention for sports anglers in 1986.....

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

post release mortality...poaching.

More IFS steelhead were sport caught in the Fraser Bar fishery than on the Thompson itself.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »

Nice try Ralph

But it’s well documented for years it’s been the Spey fishermen that kill steelhead.

Gotta get that all important shot with the steelhead on the rocks with the Spey rod in picture.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »

Nice try Ralph

But it’s well documented for years it’s been the Spey fishermen that kill steelhead.

Gotta get that all important shot with the steelhead on the rocks with the Spey rod in picture.

get real, some fish will die after release. The base figure used in Washington for post release mortality is 10%. Similar figures are used in BC.

The big picture here is the extent to which some 'sport' anglers talk out of both sides of their mouths.

"We have to save Thomspon! Closures for everyone else. Fishing as usual for me."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:06:47 AM by RalphH »

Sage2106

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »

The fall bar fishery on the Fraser has been declining of anglers for years and years and you want to contribute that to the declining ifs? Guess the countless gills nets drifting in the river have 0 impact. Even on the current b each seine fisheries going on this weekend will impact the steelhead more then the bar fishery would. I’m 100% behind the coming closure to protect the steelhead but only if it applies to everyone.

Robert_G

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »

usual strawman argument RG.LOL!

and that is your usual reply when you don't have a proper answer to my comment..