Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471009 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

It ain't over yet. ;D
Pete will tell you the truth. ;D

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Oh, I hope I get at least one more kick at the can!

milo

• Old Timer

I am definitely going tomorrow.
I'll try a different location as Sunday's spot has certainly shallowed out by now.
Although you wouldn't believe how shallow coho holding water can be until you see it with your own eyes.

jimstone

Fished top end opposite the road side till noon .Quite a few guys fishing but very few coho landed and a ton of fresh chum to take care of your extra hooks and weights. Water had good vis even though very little drop in level since yesterday and still fairly high and fast. Fishing has not been great above Thurston even after the big rains. Will fish Mon after the weekend rains but want to spend the day chucking spoons at the lower end, then time to move to the north side of the Fraser.

Nicolas The Fisherman

Hit the lower late this afternoon for a couple hours. Didn't hook any myself but saw a few hooked and one landed. Water still pretty high IMO. Surprised how cold it is! Almost feels like winter.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hit the lower late this afternoon for a couple hours. Didn't hook any myself but saw a few hooked and one landed. Water still pretty high IMO. Surprised how cold it is! Almost feels like winter.
Was certainly cool this AM and the 3 fish I landed did not put up much of a battle because they were moving upstream fast or because of the cool water conditions.

Steelhead season is a month or so away. ;D ;D ;D

TheLostSockeye

spot i found is prime! Hooked well over 20 cohos today. Only managed to land 10 and 8 of them were wilds! Saw 4 guys limit out on cohos in less than an hour. Still lots in there just got to find the holding water :)  ;)  ::) ::) ::)

Floater

• Old Timer

Steelhead season is now it seems, my friend landed a hatch buck mid river Monday morning around 10-12 pounds what are the chances of that eh?
[

milo

• Old Timer

spot i found is prime! Hooked well over 20 cohos today. Only managed to land 10 and 8 of them were wilds! Saw 4 guys limit out on cohos in less than an hour. Still lots in there just got to find the holding water :)  ;)  ::) ::) ::)

Keep it to yourself. Log in the details - water level, temperature, weather patterns...when you find a place where you hook into 20/coho in a single outing, you don't advertise it. I believe I know the location you speak of, as two of my friends limited out today in less than an hour and they saw other 2 guys do as well... Hush-hush...those gems cannot take the pressure the Tamahi can.
;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:02:58 PM by milo »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Glad you have found a new hot spot leaving the other spots to us old guys. ;D ;D ;D

By the way, good work on your vid. Also good to see young people like you fishing the correct way, very refreshing when they are too many just dipping and TOW ing.

Drewhill

Fished from top to bottom today with a buddy but couldn't find any nor did we see anything hooked other than a few boot chum so we headed to another river where our luck changed  ;D

Drewhill

Keep it to yourself. Log in the details - water level, temperature, weather patterns...when you find a place where you hook into 20/coho in a single outing, you don't advertise it. I believe I know the location you speak of, as two of my friends limited out today in less than an hour and they saw other 2 guys do as well... Hush-hush...those gems cannot take the pressure the Tamahi can.
;)

Milo is right, keep it off the public forum. Just send me a personal message with the location, water conditions and what rock you were standing on. Much appreciated  ;)

TheLostSockeye

Glad you have found a new hot spot leaving the other spots to us old guys. ;D ;D ;D

By the way, good work on your vid. Also good to see young people like you fishing the correct way, very refreshing when they are too many just dipping and TOW ing.

Thanks Chris! Means a lot coming from you.

In the future I'll keep it to myself. I figure I'd let people know that there are fish in there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Slipped out for a bit this AM before heading to the Remberance Day service. Conditions excellent except for the cool wind, lots of anglers out. My son and I each hooked a coho, I lost mine while he got a nice one be it wild.

Most likely the last outing for a bit with the heavy rain on its way.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Yeah, keeping a log is not a bad idea. Because of this, I knew that today was the perfect day to hit a spot that no one would be fishing, one that at this water levels would produce coho for sure.
As I expected, no one in sight - not even close. But the water is still a tad high, there is still a bit of a current that I'd rather not be there. Oh well, there will be chum. Let's play!

First cast and bang, a nice fresh chum. Second cast, another, third cast, another...OK this is boring...

A change of fly buys me some peace and quiet. Time for a cigar. Watching the eagles...the seagulls...ahhh, nice day, glad I didn't stay home.
An hour later the cigar is finished, and the water has dropped another half a foot, stopping the current. It is a nice 3-4 foot deep slack now.
A change of fly and the perfect cast. Fish on! A hatchery coho.
And another. And another. And another...chit, I limited out... :o :o
Oh well, let's lie down on the big log and just enjoy being out there.
No one in sight...solitude on the Vedder...so close, yet so far from civilization... it doesn't get much better than this.
Time to clean the fish and head back to the far away vehicle. The crossing is less treacherous as the river dropped even more. :)
Should I take a pic to post?
Yeah, sure, if no pic, it didn't happen. So, here it goes:

Gotta love coho on the fly...

Very nice Milo!  On the fly as well!  Don't tell me you caught those coho on that pink fly?  I'd like to break out my flyrod as well but...more big rain coming and back to work though!  Nice job.   :)