Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471019 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

looks dead to me

i was thinking the same thing...never saw a live coho with a death stare like that before.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

Pretty easy to spot a dead salmon for anyone who has caught lots. The eyes are not looking down, the mouth is half open, the "dryness" of the skin, the body looks pretty stiff.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Clearly this thread has nothing to do with fishery info and water conditions. It's where you post something when you want a bunch of angry forum lurkers to poop all over whatever you say. Go fishing guys!

TheLostSockeye

Pretty easy to spot a dead salmon for anyone who has caught lots. The eyes are not looking down, the mouth is half open, the "dryness" of the skin, the body looks pretty stiff.

like i said fish is not dead. I take great care in releasing fish unharmed to sustain the fishery we have. Fish was released unharmed.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Fished the upper this morning from 8:00 - 12:00. Buddy caught a wild coho which was nicely released and saw 1 hatchery coho caught. That was it! The cohos aren't here like last year this time. Mid October last year, I was limiting on coho in my same spot every time I went. Bunch of dark Chinook and some chum roaming about though.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer

Clearly this thread has nothing to do with fishery info and water conditions. It's where you post something when you want a bunch of angry forum lurkers to poop all over whatever you say. Go fishing guys!

who's angry? a few of us noticed something peculiar about the fish in question...if was alive than so be it...no need to get your panties in a knot.

Also, who are you calling lurker considering the amount of posts you're sitting on?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer

Fished the upper this morning from 8:00 - 12:00. Buddy caught a wild coho which was nicely released and saw 1 hatchery coho caught. That was it! The cohos aren't here like last year this time. Mid October last year, I was limiting on coho in my same spot every time I went. Bunch of dark Chinook and some chum roaming about though.

chances are with the amount of Chinook in the system, cohos are skittish and more likely to take shelter when they're in the vicinity. I've seen a few taken along the shallower channels and away from main runs...but you are right, last year was more productive.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo

Any and all cohos I've hooked this year have been in 3 ft of water or less, been fishing some really skinny water for them this year. With the crazy amount of springs and now all the big barker chums that are moving in, the cohos are moving through any way they can. Stand back and out of the water if possible and you'll see results. Been short floating single eggs with little chunks of roe.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Any and all cohos I've hooked this year have been in 3 ft of water or less, been fishing some really skinny water for them this year. With the crazy amount of springs and now all the big barker chums that are moving in, the cohos are moving through any way they can. Stand back and out of the water if possible and you'll see results. Been short floating single eggs with little chunks of roe.

Good advice....will try that on the weekend... ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Thanks... :)

The way I see it is, I got a three year old toddler at home who cries, screams and complains at least a few hours a day right now. When I finally get to relax and come on the discussion forum, the last thing I want to be reading is more bitching so whenever these long rants about snagging or whatever pop up, I pretty much just skim and skip through them. When I am out fishing during the few hours I get to go, I'm going to pick a quiet spot (and yes, those are still available) where so-called snaggers are unlikely found. The fishing is always better at unoccupied spots anyway. If Someone chooses to dredge the bottom and rip at the end of each drift, I'll go somewhere else. The chance of that person catching what I want to catch (coho) is slim to none by doing that anyway.

Again, don't get me wrong, snagging fish is illegal, but I just choose to deal with it in a constructive way, by spending my time on this serious issue at meetings where differences are made. You want to get aggravated or confrontational during your valuable free time, that's your problem. If you think ranting here can actually change the behaviour of people who have no idea what they are doing or the attitude of people who know exactly what they are doing wrong, good luck...

Some interesting stories related to this...

In 2011 Nina and I were fishing down at KWB and it was by far one of the best coho salmon days weI've ever had. :) 20+ fish hooked, while at least a couple dozen others did not connect with one because every single person was fishing too deep. One guy kept being towed downstream by his foul-hooked chinook so everytime he walked by to release his fish further downstream, there'd be one more hatchery fish on the beach lol. By the fifth fish on the beach, he was starting to wonder what was going on but never fully connected so kept fishing the way he was fishing. On the other hand, a Russian gentleman fished next to me but was also fishing too deep, pointed out that he reads the website (yes, Russians can/do read the website! ;) ), and wanted to know what he was doing wrong. I spent the time and told him exactly what he should be doing. He never caught any that day but hopefully those pointers have gotten him into some fish since then.

Last year, a Korean couple arrived at the run and obviously had never done any salmon fishing before on the Vedder, but probably tried the Fraser fishery. Armed with a large spinning rod and reel, the lady had a bouncing betty on and a fairly long leader. She proceeded to cast and managed to tangle up with another angler, who proceeded to yell at her as loud as possible when untangling the mess. "Bouncing betty, are you kidding me?", he repeated. While language wasn't a total barrier but it was obvious the apologetic lady didn't understand all the fishing jargons being thrown at her. Think he made a difference that day and the lady actually figured out what to do in the end?

Anyway, these situations amuse me while being out on the water. How these fish alter our behaviour and interaction with other users continue to surprise me. :)

Time to fish...

Troutman

Well said Rod...I'm fairly new to river fishing, but these forums do more harm than good. If people take the time to educate instead of yelling it would make a big difference. I still remember last year we went to a spot and did fairly well landing a coho every couple of cast. This older gentlement started saying we were snagging and keep wilds from 50 yards away. Little did he know it was our friend he was saying this too. The thing that upset me......how could you tell from where you were and why would I be using a trout rod with 8lb test and spinnner to snag fish.

From what I've seen from these forums is the fishing community is more concerned about protecting their own enjoyment instead of ensuring everyone is having a good time. When a new fisher is asking for some guidance on where to go - the typical response has been "google it" or "go for a walk and find it yourself." This may seem simple, but if you don't know where to start walking it's pretty hard.  I understand it is a limited resource, but a little help isn't a bad thing. We teach our children to share and take the high road, but it doesn't seem to happen too much on the fishing forums.

Just my thoughts.....I could be way off base, but this has been my experience so far.

fishtruck

after reading some of these threads on snaggers, flossers and the like,I went to the lower part this morning. Was next to someone who was a classic flosser. Tried to educate,but was ignored for the most part. Decided to concentrate on my own fishing refusing to let him get to me.. Over all a beautiful day. Even an hour after killing a spring(over 62cms) the guy still hadn't recorded his catch.

NiceFish

• Old Timer

Fished upper today, was into several springs. Couple people showed up, before I knew it I was swarmed by 14 people in a span of 10 minutes. I was the only one float fishing, aside from a fly fisher just up stream. Unbelievable, I had never quite seen such condensed chaos so quickly in the upper parts of the river. They had a fish snagged in the back for every 10 times they had to re tie up their line from dredging the bottom.

Sad part, one younger guy using his bottom bouncing special decided to try his back up rod, a centre pin, set up for....more bottom bouncing. Common sense must set in at some point right?

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

You know what guys...it will never change...all you can do is show people how to fish for biting fish and if they get hostile just move along...plenty of other places to fish. I have people come in and crowd me out also, deliberately crossing my line and getting in my way because it's 5 of them together and I'm on my own. I just pack up and move on. It's not worth it. 1 guy was holding a knife in his hand when he asked my friend "what are u gonna do about it?" When my friend asked him to return a fouled hooked fish. Just move on....fishing should be fun. Lots of nice people on the river also on the contrary.

Bingbamboom

Had a late start today. I fished the canal. I saddled up with some other anglers. One of them caught quite a few fish. I didn't catch a thing myself. What made my day so wonderful, was that the angler who was catching fish gave me the rest of his personally cured roe as he left. This gesture was very kind and thoughtful, and really made my day. If your on this forum, thank you !!