Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 79127 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer

@RalphH

Thanks for being the voice of reason. I'm glad that someone else here 'gets it'.
Actions speak louder than words.

TNAngler

@RalphH

Thanks for being the voice of reason. I'm glad that someone else here 'gets it'.

So, you supported the FN holding to sockeye runs hostage to prevent recreational chinook fishing with a recommendation to fish selectively?  Care to explain what end goal these actions would have that would be honorable?

dufflayer

Anyone thought of exercising their right to go fishing somewhere else?

Northern BC would sincerely appreciate the "Indignant Salmon Angler Stimulus Package" that you could introduce to our economy. Come on up to region 6 gents! Lot's of places to stay, lot's of fish to catch.
Go Leafs Go

clarki

• Old Timer

All I have heard is

The couple reports I have seen

Do you still reside in Tennessee?

Birkenhead

Fantastic Blair  :) . i sent a simular one as well yesterday

I think Blair should have read up on existing case law before he posted his "letter." Many of the slights he feels have already been decided on in the courts. For those who wish to pursue legal action should read this document first as it may save them a lot of frivolous court time and cost.

I also read that although he plans to go fishing illegally, he does not say when/where. Kind of difficult to be fined and taken to court without being caught. As he lives in Surrey and is willingly ready to break the law, I proactively sent a Twitter DM to the RCMP and included a link to this thread and also his FB page.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

I think Blair should have read up on existing case law before he posted his "letter." Many of the slights he feels have already been decided on in the courts. For those who wish to pursue legal action should read this document first as it may save them a lot of frivolous court time and cost.

I also read that although he plans to go fishing illegally, he does not say when/where. Kind of difficult to be fined and taken to court without being caught. As he lives in Surrey and is willingly ready to break the law, I proactively sent a Twitter DM to the RCMP and included a link to this thread and also his FB page.

i didn't wear my seat belt on the way home yesterday. you going to send a tweet to the rcmp about that too. give me a break. civil disobedience is a common practice if you want change. sure, might not be what you would do but if he feels that strong about the issue so be it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:22:29 PM by bigblockfox »

Birkenhead

i didn't wear my seat belt on the way home yesterday. you going to send a tweet to the rcmp about that too. give me a break. civil disobedience is a common practice if you want change. sure, might not be what you would do but if he feels that strong about the issue so be it.

My friend doesn't wear a seat belt either - but he sure puts it on in a hurry whenever the police are nearby.

As for civil disobedience. Big difference between it and blatantly breaking the law, no matter how strong you feel about any issue.

armytruck

• Old Timer

Did you report this as well ?
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40042.msg377280#msg377280
 :o
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

My friend doesn't wear a seat belt either - but he sure puts it on in a hurry whenever the police are nearby.

As for civil disobedience. Big difference between it and blatantly breaking the law, no matter how strong you feel about any issue.

still what good is it to forward that to the rcmp? i personally think thats d-bag move. just my opinion.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

Birkenhead

still what good is it to forward that to the rcmp? i personally think thats d-bag move. just my opinion.

I find a strange sense of irony and self righteousness in this thread. On one hand it is ok to slag on for days against the FN and how they do not follow and are above the law etc. Yet when other person here says he is going to willingly break the law for the very same fish species he espouses to protect, then this makes it right by others? 

I have great respect for our fishery and those who are willing to diligently work within the bounds of ethics and the law to protect this same fishery. I would report anyone I see or those who are contemplating to break the law in a misguided step to "stick it to the man," so to speak.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:56:31 PM by Birkenhead »

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Sure would like to be fishing right about now. Those Chinook numbers in the Albion test nets have climbed since last week.  :-\

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

I find a strange sense of irony and self righteousness in this thread. On one hand it is ok to slag on for days against the FN and how they do not follow and are above the law etc. Yet when other person here says he is going to willingly break the law for the very same fish species he espouses to protect, then this makes it right by others? 

I have great respect for our fishery and those who are willing to diligently work within the bounds of ethics and the law to protect this same fishery. I would report anyone I see or those who are contemplating to break the law in a misguided step to "stick it to the man," so to speak.

Instead of worrying the damage done by a guy fishing illegally with one rod and one hook for the non-threatened chinook, your time is better spent going around checking for illegal nets to pull the nets out or report that to rcmp. Those nets are breaking the law too and can surely damage the stock that you care about. That will do much more to save the threatened sockeye. LOL.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:19:22 PM by Steelhawk »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

yes i agree, bashing the fn is uncalled for. not all of the people on this forum are properly informed about the issue. it is a very complex issue with no real winners. i respect the fn for what they have done in standing up against bad government and commercial decisions. at the same time i can see the other side as well. people are seeing netting on the vedder taking place and wondering why sockeye are being netted when this year seems to be a bad year and the river is closed to them. unfortunately i think the problem is unsolvable. hope im wrong.

as for the rcmp tweet, both you and i know the authorities can do nothing with the info you have provided from this thread. i am all for protecting the river and oceans. if i see something that should not be happening i call the rapp line but i think that is over kill.

Birkenhead

Instead of worrying the damage done by a guy fishing illegally with one rod and one hook for the non-threatened chinook, your time is better spent going around checking for illegal nets to pull the nets out or report that to rcmp.

I live a few minutes from the Fraser. No nets or illegal fishing today but the water conditions were perfect about 30 minutes ago. Observed a couple of salmon break the surface, but too far out to identify.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17