Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nation BS  (Read 22814 times)

mattyo

Re: First Nation BS
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »

I guess first nations people had aluminium boats, internal combustion engines, and drift nets when they would fish in the past??? . I have no problem with the first nations fishing for food, ceremony, and profit. The thing that gets me is that they harvest their fish with the above tools which make them deadly effective.  >:( . They claim it is traditional, so do it traditionally.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »

Ummmm.....what comercial fishery on the fraser.......the natives or the commies?
the commies only had 1- 12 hour opening last oct.....impact ?......all fish sold, not thrown overboard.
seeing someone drown, even hotrod (would have to think about it for 5-10 minutes) native or non native, I would risk my life to help like I have done in the past....twice.

I dont hate natives , and I'am not racist (carlo is my only ethnic friend...lol) but I dont like the way they go about some things.

why not release the pinks alive?

little story for you....A native elder lived down the street from me for many years, I use to give her eaulachons every spring when we were still allowed to net them, she told me she could not get them (or salmon) from her grandsons  because they sold all of thier catch......poor grandma.

hotrod are you saying that natives owned all of the land in new westminster?........hahaha...

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »

Hotrod, if I'm living on your (native) land, could you please come over and sweep your sidewalk, and cut and weed your grass ...........my wife says its my job, but its your land. ??? ;D :-*
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:26:30 PM by jetboatjim »

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »

I guess first nations people had aluminium boats, internal combustion engines, and drift nets when they would fish in the past??? . I have no problem with the first nations fishing for food, ceremony, and profit. The thing that gets me is that they harvest their fish with the above tools which make them deadly effective.  >:( . They claim it is traditional, so do it traditionally.

Are you trying to say FN cannot be advancing with technology? i'm sure many traditions from many cultures have also changed since the beginning

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 10:33:06 PM »

hotrod Im assuming youre native? I read the royal proclamation of 1763 and it says that it may or may not be for across canada. Maybe you could go into more depth? Also who now is the "owner" of the land? All natives or is it just one person? Maybe the "owner(s)" should step up to the plate and work with the government to help control the environmental issues that are wrong in this day and age. Id like to see the land title that shows they have ownership of it as well.

hotrod (and anyone else interested) heres a link from the university of calgary:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/firstnations/theories.html

The crown has ownership of all the land except for FN land. We merely have an undivided interest in the land that we live on or else you wouldn't need so many permits for buildling things on "our" land.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »

The crown has ownership of all the land except for FN land. We merely have an undivided interest in the land that we live on or else you wouldn't need so many permits for buildling things on "our" land.

hotrod

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 06:25:21 AM »

Hotrod, if I'm living on your (native) land, could you please come over and sweep your sidewalk, and cut and weed your grass ...........my wife says its my job, but its your land. ??? ;D :-*

Good one! LMAO  :D
 I would freakout if any of my relatives started throwing pinks overboard, in fact I wouldn't partake in any type of fisherie that would involve this behavior.

Can anyone here produce the deed that identifies the sale of the land to the crown? It doesn't exhist! That's the point! Natives still own the land....all of it.

Coho Crazy!

I would suggest that you re-read the Royal Proclamation. It's all there!  Then go to the 1982 constitution of charter of rights and freedom.
 section 52(1) states"The constitution of Canada is the supreme law in Canada and any law that is inconsistant with the provisions of it to the extent of inconsistancy is of no force and effect,

Now refer to section 25(1) which upholds the Royal Proclamation of 1763 it says, among many things, "..the indians shall not be molested or disturbed....as not having been ceded to or purchased by us are reserved for them or any them as their hunting grounds"

So your Constitution up hold this agreement that states no sale of any land ever took place and The only one who can buy it is her Majesty in Great Britain.It also goes on to say that if we ever want any whites to be removed that they will have them removed for us. These are the facts and I accept them for value as to what they(the whites) must do. They are bound by it! Those statements alone have got to answer a lot of your questions!

Hotrod
all rights reserved

PS. As for stepping up to the plate CC, there are some things in motion that cannot be changed. As long as the green grass grows,the wind blows, and rivers flow.arr

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:01:20 AM by hotrod »

mattyo

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »

Ed, "advancing with technology"?? The word tradition can be thrown out the window with that statement.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »

Ed, "advancing with technology"?? The word tradition can be thrown out the window with that statement.

The Cultural Revolution allowed China to give up some "old methods and ideals" to advance with technology which resulted in the powerful nation it has turned into today. Are you trying to say that China has no traditions because they are technologically advanced now ?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »

Good one! LMAO  :D
 I would freakout if any of my relatives started throwing pinks overboard, in fact I wouldn't partake in any type of fisherie that would involve this behavior.

Can anyone here produce the deed that identifies the sale of the land to the crown? It doesn't exhist! That's the point! Natives still own the land....all of it.

Coho Crazy!

I would suggest that you re-read the Royal Proclamation. It's all there!  Then go to the 1982 constitution of charter of rights and freedom.
 section 52(1) states"The constitution of Canada is the supreme law in Canada and any law that is inconsistant with the provisions of it to the extent of inconsistancy is of no force and effect,

Now refer to section 25(1) which upholds the Royal Proclamation of 1763 it says, among many things, "..the indians shall not be molested or disturbed....as not having been ceded to or purchased by us are reserved for them or any them as their hunting grounds"

So your Constitution up hold this agreement that states no sale of any land ever took place and The only one who can buy it is her Majesty in Great Britain.It also goes on to say that if we ever want any whites to be removed that they will have them removed for us. These are the facts and I accept them for value as to what they(the whites) must do. They are bound by it! Those statements alone have got to answer a lot of your questions!

Hotrod
all rights reserved

PS. As for stepping up to the plate CC, there are some things in motion that cannot be changed. As long as the green grass grows,the wind blows, and rivers flow.arr

Hey Hotrod I"m just curious if you knew exactly what happend between the transition of land between the FN and the Crown? I have no idea and would love to know. My guess is that they pretty much just stole the land because Great Britain was notorious for doing it as they were one of the biggest empires in history and i'm sure they didn't do it by being fair to the other parties. Sometimes it plagues me that in highschool you learn that Hitler was so bad but they fail to mention that the British were equally or even worse since their domination was for a much longer period and affected way denser populations.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

So......when you cut the head and tail off your fish and throw them in the garbage (or hopefully at least the river), do you realize that you're in fact wasting (your own words) edible bits???  In MOST parts of the world that would be considered a complete waste.  Soup stock can be made of the head/tail.  The eyes are considered a delicacy in some cultures.  Cheeks, brain etc. is all eaten...not sent to a landfill.

So before you start coming down on a culture for "wasting" fish, TAKE A GOOD LOOK IN THE MIRROR!  We're not as squeaky clean as we like to think.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »

So......when you cut the head and tail off your fish and throw them in the garbage (or hopefully at least the river), do you realize that you're in fact wasting (your own words) edible bits???  In MOST parts of the world that would be considered a complete waste.  Soup stock can be made of the head/tail.  The eyes are considered a delicacy in some cultures.  Cheeks, brain etc. is all eaten...not sent to a landfill.

So before you start coming down on a culture for "wasting" fish, TAKE A GOOD LOOK IN THE MIRROR!  We're not as squeaky clean as we like to think.

Lol its so true what you just said. I've been trying to explain that for a while. In many cultures we eat fish head (soup +cheeks best part of the meat), ox tail (soup etc), pig intestines (deep friend etc), tripes (Pho, stews), and the list goes on. If all of you think that wasting fish is stupid then take a look in the mirror the next time you think that way. I'm sure most of you wouldn't even think about eating pig intestines, pig feet, chicken feet. So by all your logic you're all wasting fine edible food.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:01:35 PM by Rodney »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

Are you for real ?.......done get out much eh ?....

throwing a whole salmon overboard dead, that you killed for no reason (other than bycatch) is waaay different than throwing out some guts, head and tails.

hotrod

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »

Ed!

I know exactly what happened between the crown and FN's. ..... nothing.....and fraud!

Hotrod

All rights reserved

Nitroholic

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 09:22:03 PM »

Lol its so true what you just said. I've been trying to explain that for a while. In many cultures we eat fish head (soup +cheeks best part of the meat), ox tail (soup etc), pig intestines (deep friend etc), tripes (Pho, stews), and the list goes on. If all of you think that wasting fish is stupid then take a look in the mirror the next time you think that way. I'm sure most of you wouldn't even think about eating pig intestines, pig feet, chicken feet. So by all your logic you're all wasting fine edible food.

you can't be serious