Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471087 times)

Floater

• Old Timer

I wonder how many Russians read FWR?
Prob not many i think you are trying to say eastern europeans, too many countries and nationalities to name there but i guess just saying russian is easier lol.
[

TheLostSockeye

Any updates on water conditions from this afternoon? Thinking of heading out tomorrow.  :)
ill tell you how it is if you bring me  ;) ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Hydrograph is showing the river level holding at the same height all day and it's drizzling in Chilliwack, so there's a good chance the river will be fishable in the morning.

hrenya

I wonder how many Russians read FWR?
I`m Russian and I find that comment offensive .

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Thanks Rod...

TheLostSockeye

I`m Russian and I find that comment offensive .

im russian to and you don't see me complaining

hrenya

im russian to and you don't see me complaining
I won`t take it from him like that
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:34:02 PM by hrenya »

Salmon__Slayer

im not Russian but i have a report..
Was fishing near the boundary and released a nice colored spring but also noticed a few meters down there was a gentleman fishing with wool. Not jerking after each drift but managed to hook a clean spring in the gills the fish wasent looking good when i helped him with his net he took the hook out of the gills and blood came out . we kept it in the net for a few seconds to see if it wanted to escape it did not he realesed it in some shallow water the fish didnt move after a 5 minutes so he decided to bonk it. was this wrong of him

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

im not Russian but i have a report..
Was fishing near the boundary and released a nice colored spring but also noticed a few meters down there was a gentleman fishing with wool. Not jerking after each drift but managed to hook a clean spring in the gills the fish wasent looking good when i helped him with his net he took the hook out of the gills and blood came out . we kept it in the net for a few seconds to see if it wanted to escape it did not he realesed it in some shallow water the fish didnt move after a 5 minutes so he decided to bonk it. was this wrong of him

Yes its illegal.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Salmon__Slayer

but the fish died in the river like it would have been swept down into the current

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

It would provide nutrients to the ecosystem

Every Day

• Old Timer

I was up top at around 3-5 pm... It was raining fairly heavily up there while I was there, and within 30 minutes the water went from super clear to a cloudy green. I left the upper and went to the lower and it wasn't raining as hard there.

Went out to abby and on the way home it was raining buckets near the canal. Not sure if the heavy rain from upriver finally moved down or what. I'd say it's a toss up for tomorrow. Lower was holding at around 4 feet of a cloudy vis until last light.

Sandman

• Old Timer

but the fish died in the river like it would have been swept down into the current

The fact that it would die anyway is irrelevant.  Can you imagine the argument snaggers would make if it mattered? It is illegal to keep a foul hooked fish. 

As for the earlier discussion that degenerated into bigoted nonsense, I am not Russian but I am offended as well.  These were not 8-10 Russians, Ukrainians, Eastern Europeans, whatever.  They were 8-10 assholes.  Referencing their ethnicity is nothing more than small minded bigoted hatered and has no place on this forum or anywhere else in civil society.
Not all those who wander are lost

hrenya

Ty Sandman for explanation . I think it`s not race or nationality ...

clarki

• Old Timer

Contrary to what some of the experiences being described here, all of my trips so far this season have been very pleasant, with or without fish. I haven't come across a single person who would practice questionable techniques. Everyone has been fishing well off the bottom and looking for biting fish, giving other anglers enough space, asking for permission to fish nearby prior to starting. Two weeks ago I fished down below KWB and shared with at least ten other anglers who were all fishing bait, targeting coho specifically, not spooking the water by standing on dry bank. This morning, the run I fished was quite crowded (around ten people on each side of the river) but everyone respected each other's space, no one was dragging on the bottom, accidentally foul-hooked fish were released with great care.

Of course, I'm not disputing there are no infractions going on out there, but I personally believe the fishery has improved in the past five years and more people are getting it. I also believe the effort being put in on this and other forums which proactively educate new anglers by showing them how fun it can be when you entice a fish to bite. Ranting about the same infractions which we witness from time to time is not going to improve the fishery. The ones who are doing the harms are not even here to read about it, they are only concerned about getting the fish to bring home. There are two things people can keep doing to make things even better - Report all infractions to DFO's enforcement, show new anglers how to fish properly when they need advices.

Doggone Rod. You are always so balanced, reasonable and articulate. :)

I rarely weigh in on issues of flossers, snaggers, poachers, disrespectful or unethical anglers.... Not only is it an endless discussion that doesn't really interest me, but, from my perspective, they are just fish.

For me, there are other social issues that I am more concerned about and that I dedicate my time, energy and financial resources too.

I've confronted poachers before (just a couple of months ago, a guy who was smelt fishing before the Aug 15 opening) but I tend to not get too hung up over it on the C/V. Intentionally snagging fish on a hatchery enhanced river. Meh.  There are bigger fish to fry (pun intended) and many other issues that are more important.  If they leave with their limit of snagged fish, it's illegal, yes, but is there a great harm done? Not really. I don't like seeing it, but I choose not to get involved or to become a keyboard activist. Speeders, litterers, text and drivers, dog off leashers, poop not picker uppers, poachers, flossers...you pick your battles.   This one ain't my monkey, but I applaud those of you who take it on.

On a fishing note, I'll be on the C/V tomorrow for the first time this season. Maybe our paths will cross. Cheers.