Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaf Mobile stolen!  (Read 11192 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Leaf Mobile stolen!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

2 wheel, yes the side road where icy when we looking yesterday.

Chris, you are hunter, you should be able to deal with this.... ;D :D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »

I don't understand how it could have been stolen.

It should have an immobilizer system in it which would prevent it from starting even if the steering column was smashed.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »

I don't understand how it could have been stolen.

It should have an immobilizer system in it which would prevent it from starting even if the steering column was smashed.

I just took a small motors course this weekend...
You'd be surprised how easy it is to hot-wire a vehicle or other motor. If you know what each wire colour represents it ain't all that hard.

I'm pretty sure his car wouldn't have had an immobilizer, that is normally an after market thing.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »

You'd be surprised how easy it is to hot-wire a vehicle or other motor. If you know what each wire colour represents it ain't all that hard.

I'm pretty sure his car wouldn't have had an immobilizer, that is normally an after market thing.

If it was a 1998 or later GM product it would likely have an immobilizer. Ford apparently didn't believe in them till recently.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »

You'd be surprised how easy it is to hot-wire a vehicle or other motor.

Fords use SecuriLock also known as PATS (passive anti theft system). It uses transponders in the keys that respond with the vehicles ECM. It is VERY hard to bypass even by a very good experienced thief, and especially by someone that took a small motors coarse   ;)

As far as Rangers go, some 99-04 Rangers came with PATS (most of the V6s I think) and every one has it from 06 to current models.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »

Mine had just standard keys as far as I know, nothing special when I got them cut.????

Kenwee

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »

I hope you find your truck soon. Miss seeing you at the fishing spot in the morning.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »

Fords use SecuriLock also known as PATS (passive anti theft system). It uses transponders in the keys that respond with the vehicles ECM. It is VERY hard to bypass even by a very good experienced thief, and especially by someone that took a small motors coarse   ;)

As far as Rangers go, some 99-04 Rangers came with PATS (most of the V6s I think) and every one has it from 06 to current models.

I was just saying, on a basic model vehicle it isn't very hard. All motors work the same.
All about wiring and finding the cut off switch (which is the ground). You find that and disconnect it and it'll fire up.
As Chris said, most vehicles don't come with an immobilizer or anything like that.

Not saying I could or would do it, but the reason so many vehicles get stolen is it is easier than most people think (once again on base line older vehicles).

If it was a 1998 or later GM product it would likely have an immobilizer. Ford apparently didn't believe in them till recently.

I have a 1999 GMC, it don't have anything special. Can go get a key cut and start it no problem. No anti-theft, etc.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »

I have a 1999 GMC, it don't have anything special. Can go get a key cut and start it no problem. No anti-theft, etc.

You have power locks?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »

hey chris, i'll be in the Chwk river valley some time this week, I can check all the area's i know of where people ditch stolen vehicles, (both up tamahi mtn, and chipmunk creek FSR) I'll have my 4x4 so i can make it past any part your truck would have.  I know the feeling of coming out to get your truck and find it missing, I found my last jeep comanche at the bottom of a hill on its roof on Foley lake FSR after it was stolen, and the last time i was there a 2wd could have easily made it a good way into the chipmunk creek FSR.    

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »

slick vic

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »

Sorry to hear it Chris. Hope you find your LM soon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

hey chris, i'll be in the Chwk river valley some time this week, I can check all the area's i know of where people ditch stolen vehicles, (both up tamahi mtn, and chipmunk creek FSR) I'll have my 4x4 so i can make it past any part your truck would have.  I know the feeling of coming out to get your truck and find it missing, I found my last jeep comanche at the bottom of a hill on its roof on Foley lake FSR after it was stolen, and the last time i was there a 2wd could have easily made it a good way into the chipmunk creek FSR.    
Thanks very much, Lew, Terry, Gord and my wife along with me have checked some areas along the Chilliwack Lake Road (up as far as Chilliwack Lake) but not any side roads off of the Bench Road.

Also thanks for all the help, ideas and thoughts from so many of you.Has been a bummer the last 2 days but of course there is worse things can happen in ones life but still a pain. Also had my 2 brood capture tubes in the truck. :-[

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »

Sorry to hear this Chris.
Who needs that during prime time.
Oh well,maybe its a sign to get a Canuckmobile now. ;D

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 12:49:22 AM »

the FSR running along chilliwack lake road is stiff enough to drive on with all the sleds running through there and such, but they wouldnt have made it far since there is a tree crossing the road a few hundred feet in,   we had our jeeps and rangers out there a week or so ago.

also was your ranger an auto or 5spd?   because if it was a 5spd, then they could have just pulled the ignition out, connected two wires and bump started it. and its quite easy to get into the rangers with manual locks, we have had to do it twice (break in, and hotwire / bumpstart a 2003 ranger) because my friend can't keep control of his keys.

Have you checked the mt slesse area? there are a few places it could be hiding in there as well