Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471239 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

....and the chums are so clean......

That's a coho.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

That's a dead coho

Nicolas The Fisherman

Not sure if it's a piece of wood, but it looks like the coho has an adipose..

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Dead coho for sure. Spots on the back, blackish lips with the white gums, and spotting on top portion of the base of the tail equals three characteristics of a coho. Chums will have no spots on the back or tail and white mouth. Even a chrome chum will typically show a watermark pattern of some kind on the body.

So was this an honest mistake or a troll post??? Was this someone else's fish bigsnag?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:59:21 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

NiceFish

• Old Timer

Troll post, and it is a hatchery coho. It's like a water bubble or water foam that looks like the adipose fin.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

it's a troll and a clear reference to my photo and post on the previous page. Some anglers still sneer at chum or there may be some other motive but who cares. I am almost never make reports on line and probably best to keep it that way.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

it's a troll and a clear reference to my photo and post on the previous page. Some anglers still sneer at chum or there may be some other motive but who cares. I am almost never make reports on line and probably best to keep it that way.

You mean your post of that chum you caught?  That was a nice fish!  Good roe too.   :)

Floater

• Old Timer

Bubble adipose fin lol oh man that was classic, nice fish!
[

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Beauty Hoe, chrome as a silver dollar. Time to get out there!

milo

• Old Timer

Beauty Hoe, chrome as a silver dollar. Time to get out there!

Yes it is. Good number of fresh fish coming in, but in small pushes and not staying in the usual haunts. I caught a few really nice chum (didn't keep them), and was rewarded by this 27" sashimi-grade beauty:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:11:47 PM by milo »

Floater

• Old Timer

Sorry Milo according to Rodneys chart thats between yum and meh :P lol jk nice bullet. Have you tried eating coho sashimi? i always wanted to try but never end up doing it.
[

milo

• Old Timer

Sorry Milo according to Rodneys chart thats between yum and meh :P lol jk nice bullet. Have you tried eating coho sashimi? i always wanted to try but never end up doing it.

Rodney is spoiled.
Especially now that he lives a stone's throw from the river.  :P

I often prepare sashimi with Vedder coho, but the fish must be "yum" grade according to Rodney's scale.
And I always freeze the fish first for at least 72 hours prior to consuming it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Spoiled indeed... I've been giving away my coho away this season actually because the vacuum packed red chinook, halibut and lingcod pieces in the freezer taste so much better... :-[

Nicolas The Fisherman

Had a pretty good trip this AM on the lower. Landed two, lost three. One nice wild doe released first thing and then a surprisingly clean spring jack to the beach which was retained. Conditions remaining low and clear despite last nights rain. Lots of chum roaming around as well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Not a bad evening outing for just over an hour with 6 coho hooked without fishing too hard. Not a single bite was missed for once as the fish committed themselves pretty well but 5 of the 6 all rolled off the hook after 30 seconds while 1 of the 6 landed was a wild. Both roe and spinner produced so they were not picky for once. What a contrast as the same spot last week was congested with chinook salmon but all were absent today, so obviously it made the coho salmon less shy. Water is low but not low enough to deter these fish from moving upstream IMO. The forecasted rain in a couple of days from now will either end the season quite quickly or improve the fishing.