Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2006 St Mary's Lake smallmouth bass trip  (Read 13435 times)

David

Re: 2006 St Mary's Lake smallmouth bass trip
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 05:54:45 PM »

It's certainly well worth a try! ;)

Have fun trying.  Known "Hot" baits, only became "Hot" because people expreimented.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 07:18:10 AM »

Fishing on St. Mary's lake is one of the very few times I wished I had bigger hooks, something big enough that the smaller fish would leave it alone.

IamCanadian

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »

Damn...now i feel like a loser, lol. I really didn't get any bites at all while i was fishing there, lol. All i got was like two small pecks and that was it! :'(

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 02:58:20 PM »

I might be in for that trip as I have a wedding to attent in Victoria on July first and I'll be in the area anyways.
Actions speak louder than words.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »

The new fishy clip is up on the website now, you bass fan might be interested to see it. :)

Go to www.fishingwithrod.com and look for it on the left side.

David

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 10:17:20 PM »

Hey Rodney,

That looks like great fun, I can't wait. ;) ;

Tight lines

David

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »

Bumping this up for those who were interested, an update.

The weekend of June 23rd to 25th is no longer good for Nina and I. I talked to Mark a couple of weeks ago regarding the Canada Day long weekend but it appears they are already quite busy during that weekend. Nina and I plan to go in mid July but the fishing will not be as good as June.

I highly recommend those who are interested to book a trip in June (Before June 15th if you are simply catching and releasing, after June 15th if you intend to keep a few for eating). The fishing is generally good in May and June, and slows down in July and August due to the warm weather.

I will post again when I book our trip.

If you plan to go, mention Fishing with Rod to receive a discount on your stay (discount varies, depends on the time of the year, day of the week, etc). Get contact info of Mark at Lakeside Gardens at: http://www.saltspring.com/lakesidegardens/Default.htm

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 12:19:08 AM »

WHAT???  No St Mary trip this year???  >:(  My first visit to FWR forum in 9 months and what a disappointment  :D

I'm somewhat settled back in the SF Bay Area now, and thinking of visiting Vancouver late July.  May spend a few days on Salt Spring Island, but I won't have my camping or fishing gear then  :-[

Had a great time there last year - so great that I missed ferry by 3 minutes, resulting in a 7-8 hours detour.  I thank God for a forgiving wife  ;D

Rodney, what date will you be there in July?  Do you expect good fishing that time of year?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 02:10:06 AM »

Hey Hung, good to hear from you! Sorry about not returning emails (getting really bad at it ::) ). In late July, Nina and I will possibly be on Vancouver Island. If you are going to Salt Spring for a few days, you need to bring a rod or two otherwise you are going to regret it, and you know it. Drop by my house when you arrive here and you can bring a couple of rods and reels from here to use. Let me know.

The fishing should still be ok, the fish will be deeper down, same technique as last time. :) Fish for the Future this year will be on July 8th, and we expect to visit Mark on Salt Spring the week after that date.

canadian-countrygrl

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »

This sounds like a ROCKING good time. Me and my boyfriend would LOVE to come.  I don't care WHAT time of year it is or when. I really want to go. I will make time for fishing!!!!!  Might have to call in sick. haha

Cheers!
Canadian-countrygrl
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:02:30 PM by canadian-countrygrl »
MAY THE HOLES IN YOUR NET BE NO LARGER THAN THE FISH IN IT!

caster

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 08:15:35 PM »

going over on the may long weekend, but June sounds good also. Don't have to worry about accommodation, family live on the island, let me know the confirmed days, see you there

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 09:57:42 PM »

Hey Rodney thank you for the generous offer.  Will have to see ... airfare is still too high right now.  But yeah, how can I go to Salt Spring Island without a fishing rod!   ;D

I miss helping out at the Fishing For The Future event.  It's moved to July this year huh?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2006, 12:47:33 AM »

Hey Rodney thank you for the generous offer.  Will have to see ... airfare is still too high right now.  But yeah, how can I go to Salt Spring Island without a fishing rod!   ;D

I miss helping out at the Fishing For The Future event.  It's moved to July this year huh?

Yes, the event (Fish for the Future) will be on July 8th this year. In the past it has always taken place during the Fathers Day Weekend but it had to compete with other grand events like Dragon Boat etc. I'll be posting info on it very very soon. :)

Anyways, like I said, when you have your plans finalized, let me know and you can come and clear my fishing room a bit. ;)

canadian-countrygrl, caster: Regarding the trip to St Mary's trip, we have always done the trip during late June in the past and I think some members on the forum will still be going around that time (fishin Chick was telling me the other day she and her family will probably do it again in late June). Nina and I will be doing it in early July. I'll confirm sometimes in late May or early June so others can book a cabin etc at Lakeside Gardens if they wish to join us. :) The fishing shouldn't be too bad. We've done early July trips before, and could still get into quite a few fish.

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2006, 10:58:43 AM »

Mark told me last year that the place would get packed up after July 1st (school's out), so if you can go in June it should be much nicer. 

Have fun!

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »

I've been here fishing for almos a week now.  The lake is brown, although it seems to be clearing today.  I've spent some of my time fishing a couple of small lakes (mostly Stowel Lake) which are clear and very pretty.  Stowel has cut-throat, and I caught some both on a dragon fly nymph and with some little meps type spinners.  Weston Lake is fly-only, and I did some of that and had a couple of strikes, but didn't catch anything.

I've gone out on St Mary Lake several times and caught bass every time on everything from flatfish to (what seems to work the best) spinner baits with a black bait.  From the bank I've caught five trout (biggest was 20 inches), a few perch, and some bass.  The fishing isn't real fast, but if you throw something out there under a float, pretty soon the float will sink.

It's a pretty spot.  I'm liking my new pontoon boat.