Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snow pack currently as low as 50% of normal - summer drought looms!  (Read 2307 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/snow-pack-bc-below-normal

"For B.C.’s South Coast the snow pack is 70 per cent of normal — down 36 per cent from last year — while on Vancouver Island, it’s at 62 per cent of normal, and Upper Fraser West is the lowest in the province at 50 per cent of normal."
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Snow pack currently as low as 50% of normal - summer drought looms!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 12:20:27 PM »

about on time for the doom and gloom EARLY snowpack reports

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 12:20:58 PM »

Quite a bit early to speculate on these things.  Flipping a coin at this time would give you similar odds to predicting snow pack months from now.

Worse case scenario we cover the snow in mylar for the spring/summer season.

We are pretty blessed having the reservoirs above the Lower Mainland. 

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 12:30:26 PM »

Glad i am not the only one that noticed this  :P While its still early, if things don't change, we might be in for another hot and very dry summer. :(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:49:45 PM »

True about it being early but the first half of the season is the most important part. Drought also depends on the kind of spring and summer we get. If we get a wet late spring or moist cool summer we'd be ok.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 12:17:42 PM »

Well, Grouse mountain just got 25cm of new snow, with lots more in the forecast. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

roeman

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 04:26:40 PM »

Can be 120% of normal within a week.  Getting excited way too early.  Warm and dry down here till the end of October last year so it will be cold and wet till the end of May in 2023. 
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 05:07:32 PM »

Comparing Grouse snowfall plus snow making added the base on the plateau is about 200cm. About 2/3 of the snow fall has melted or compacted. The last 7 days has seen 41cm of new snow

SuperBobby

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 06:19:44 PM »

I don't predict the snowpack until the time change in March. By then we can get a pretty good idea where we are at.
On Jan 11th.....predicting the final snow pack is like throwing darts in the dark.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 08:58:55 PM »

You predict the snowpack? ROTFLMAO!

SuperBobby

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 04:51:47 PM »

You predict the snowpack? ROTFLMAO!

What are you laughing about? Predicting the final snow pack early March is usually pretty easy.
You're the one posting doom and gloom with over 2 months of winter left.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 06:59:56 PM »

Predicting anything when it's over is dead easy. That's what's so funny!

I didn't predict anything. I just provided a link to the report. The report does 't predict anything either. It's just about the current numbers and how they stack up relative to 'average'.

SuperBobby

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 08:44:15 AM »

Predicting anything when it's over is dead easy. That's what's so funny!

Anything can happen after March 12th. There have been several years when over half the snowpack accumulates from early March until mid April.

I didn't predict anything. I just provided a link to the report. The report does 't predict anything either. It's just about the current numbers and how they stack up relative to 'average'.

You posted a Jan12th article that was warning of the possibility of drought for this upcoming summer. All I'm saying is the all the mainstream news will always go out of their way to put if fear into the masses for no reason.
Like I said....the time change in March is a much more responsible time to start giving warnings (if necessary) the upcoming water situation....Not Jan 12th

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 12:28:44 PM »

Anything can happen after March 12th. There have been several years when over half the snowpack accumulates from early March until mid April.

please name at least 7 years where the majority of the snowpack happened after March 12th.

Btw it's not the thickness of the pack that matters, it's the water it holds. As the snow in the first half or so of the season gets compacted it holds more water than it's depth may indicate

You posted a Jan12th article that was warning of the possibility of drought for this upcoming summer.

Warning of a possibility is not a prediction Superbobbyrobbie.  I actually put this up because I thought others may be interested particularly since we did experience quite the rise in the freezing level after Jan 1st which is the data set the the JAn 12th report was based on.