Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?  (Read 12503 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
Re: Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »

How far upstream on the Fraser does BB'ing get easier to do?
Someone was here

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:36 PM »

How far upstream on the Fraser does BB'ing get easier to do?

Honestly, I prefer not to use BBs. But you need to find the shallower water, farther up you go the better.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »

Honestly, I prefer not to use BBs. But you need to find the shallower water, farther up you go the better.
Who said I was using bb's?
I was just asking to see where there aren't any bb'ers
Someone was here

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 08:34:33 AM »

I've caught sockeye that bite on the chuck but, like Sasquatch sightings, I'd have to see it in person to believe they regularly bite anywhere upstream. Sockeye are flossed upstream and that seems understood and accepted by all parties. Personally, it's not for me yet it is what it is.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »

As has been said before, sockeye will bite when they are in their home rivers with good visibility. You regularly see sockeye biting in the Vedder and Harrison rivers rivers.
A dead-drifted jig under a float is the least effective flossing tool and I have caught many sockeye using this method while fishing for other species.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »

Wow. That's baffling yet exciting to hear. I gave up on all my tactics when I tried enticing them to bite years ago - least I know now. Who says an old dog can't learn a new trick? Lol
Thank you!
👍

George Gordon Byron

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 02:37:54 PM »

Sockeye are flossed upstream and that seems understood and accepted by all parties. Personally, it's not for me yet it is what it is.

Not accepted by all parties. There is a large contingent that believes this type of fishing should be outlawed.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

As has been said before, sockeye will bite when they are in their home rivers with good visibility. You regularly see sockeye biting in the Vedder and Harrison rivers rivers.
A dead-drifted jig under a float is the least effective flossing tool and I have caught many sockeye using this method while fishing for other species.

I've caught them on the fly in the Upper Pitt, so I agree with you 100%.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

Yes, I agree that flossing should be outlawed, but really didn't want to open that can of worms. Enough said.

George Gordon Byron

htdub

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

My friends and I have caught sockeye by bait fishing. It's a good workout on the arms on the shoulders to get one tho.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »

Not accepted by all parties. There is a large contingent that believes this type of fishing should be outlawed.
s

Obviously not enough of a contingent, sadly, for it's still a legal fishery. If we're on the same page lets collaborate and do something about it. Let me know how I can help.

George Gordon Byron

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »

Obviously not enough of a contingent, sadly, for it's still a legal fishery. If we're on the same page lets collaborate and do something about it. Let me know how I can help.

Agreed 100%, not all that do it, know that it's frowned upon. They really need to stop selling BBs, but the local shops need to pay the rent.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »

I have got sockeye on the Chilliwack by short floating green wool. These fish were hoked in the snout. I have hooked sockeye in the snout bb in the Fraser. My guess was perhaps 30% of the fish I landed looked like they may have legitimately taken the hook. When fishing was allowed in the Harrison dyed krill still fished with a float was the most effective method - so they will take. I have no idea how large the contingent is that wants bb'ing on the Fraser banned - at best it is a vociferous minority who think they have a lock on right and wrong.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »

I think most people value our sockeye and the idea of having them in the future. Are anglers that choose to bb the only ones that should be able to enjoy them? Are others being ridiculous for not wanting a part of that on an ethical standpoint? Just because there is a fishery for them does that make it right? There are many questions and maybe no proper answers. Polarizing each side does nothing for the resource, it's future, or the integrity of the fishing community or non-anglers who merely want the option of a future with sockeye in it. As a born and raised citizen of bc I'd hate to lose them. As an angler I believe it's our duty - together and with our differences as an angling community - to steward the resource for all, regardless of what regulations dictate. These differences of opinions will be what brings us all to the table of discussion, so don't fear it but embrace it. I certainly think change is due and will not have my values scullied by anyone talking trash online or in person, nor would I knowingly do that to anyone. What's needed is dialogue and, depending on that dialogue, perhaps change. That's all. No need to get our hackles up. We're better than that.

George Gordon Byron

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »

Much of what you say is internally inconsistent and contradictory. Everyone in the Province has access to sockeye through the commercial fishery when it's open, the 1st Nations fisheries  or is free to purchase a sport fishing license for fresh or tidal where is some variety of opportunities to catch and retain sockeye. If you are a sport fisher and want to discuss ethics in the larger community you may find you are just generally bad company for many people with far more intellectually developed ideas on the topic. Sport fishing is very ethically suspect. Arguing anything within sport fishing on the basis of 'ethics' is foolishly suspect.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:36:25 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.