Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis fishing report  (Read 15444 times)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis fishing report
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »

People are just spoon-fed all too often... as there is a line between educating people and spoon-feeding.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

to all the creepers looking at this page. a few tips for this system. be bear aware and bring a gps if your not fimiliar with this area. real easy to get turned around and lost.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »

Yes lots of people know about the Chehalis and if we go back 10 years the river could handle the pressure... Its not what it used to be and that may be a massive understatement :'(
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Outdoorsman

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »

I mean it's not like everyone doesn't already know about Chehalis... c'mon. Anyone with a brain can pull up a google map and simply look for any river system connected to the Fraser and assume there is some sort of salmon in there during the fall. It takes time and money to drive out there.

I doubt they  bother when there is the great Vedder (not) to go to. Hiding spots from people isn't going to save the salmon. Especially since in reality the majority of the problem comes from commercial fisheries.

I doubt anglers take a take a total of more than 10 000. Commercial probably takes at least 10x that if not more, and that is just my uneducated guess.

I am not saying it's good to publicly announce these different fishing grounds but if the people looking for places to fish made it this far (to fishingwithrod forums) then it's not like it's hiding much by not asking questions/reporting/etc.

Others have just as much right to fish as we do and if I was a random guy new to fishing and reading posts with hostility and secrecy towards new people I would probably be more of a dick too, continuing the already bad trend.

I think we should be more friendly and teach people and these forums are doing just fine at that.

Rant over, and sorry, it just bothers me as I was a new fishermen a few years ago dealing with ALOT of hate.

I bet Chehalis has great opportunities right now, maybe nothing special yet until we get some steady rain.

I agree no doubt. Just 1,000 reads in a couple days... Going to be one busy busy place. But most spots usually are nowadays anyways! Didn't mean to rattle your chain.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

hope anyone heading into the canyon is ready to pack up in an instant and leave, its dangerous now with the rain, and still very few fish around, a few bears out and about as well.

I like to make sure i have room there so i bring my 11' CP rod and throw side arm casts the whole time.   

MoeJKU

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »

hope anyone heading into the canyon is ready to pack up in an instant and leave, its dangerous now with the rain, and still very few fish around, a few bears out and about as well.

I like to make sure i have room there so i bring my 11' CP rod and throw side arm casts the whole time.   
I used to get bothered about not having room, however i found with my defender strapped on my back it helps out. Usually they give me lots of room or move onto the next fishing hole as i wave at them.
Helps with the bears as well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »

honestly I actually described the exact spot I normally fish. Of course you need to know how to get there and show up well before daylight because others know of it also. I may have the amount of tree branches wrong though LoL

Sandman - your problem was using the fly rod in a gear spot. spot I described is easily 6-8feet deep however fish do hold along the 3-5foot deep edge so I guess you could fluke into one but still would need a type 6 to get in their face.  :P

lets be serious to those creeping this thread or whining about some of us not sharing loads or any info about the system. Drive yourself out there, follow the trails along the river and fish in likely looking spots. This is exactly what we all had do a few years back when the river flooded and changed forever. It will change drastically with every flood now and certain spots are better depending on water levels

I heard a rumor they completely closed the river below the hatchery channel. I mean the part of the river that is only fed by the water flowing out of the channel. I know they put up boundary markers quite a ways down but had heard they closed it completely to stop all the snagging that was being witnessed

any truth to that rumor ?

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »

Everyone is so worried on here about the bears LOL, I am worried about all the cougars out there! You never know you have one stalking you until it is on top of you 95% of the time. This system used to be able to handle the angling pressure like already mentioned however since the river changed course it can no longer do that.

As for everyone knowing of the system I say that is untrue. Sure people may have actually looked at the regs and seen the name, visited the hatchery or seen it on a map. However I am sure very few of those individuals actually thought of fishing it until they see a good report about it and then the gong show starts. 90% of the time when I am out fishing I am on this system, I know the regulars and I know all the hatchery staff. This system is where the anglers that want to avoid the BS of the chedder go to have some relaxing time. They are the anglers that have put in hundreds of hours exploring and hiking around to find spots.

For those hiking into the canyon, if someone else is at a spot and fishing it before you DO NOT HIKE INTO IT AND JOIN THEM!!! It is a courtesy that has gone on for MANY years there and on other canyon systems.

I heard a rumor they completely closed the river below the hatchery channel. I mean the part of the river that is only fed by the water flowing out of the channel. I know they put up boundary markers quite a ways down but had heard they closed it completely to stop all the snagging that was being witnessed

any truth to that rumor ?

Been closed for a few years now. What blows my mind is the people who still park at the hatchery and hike to the river by following the channel. Yeah right they're hiking that far LMFAO! That channel hits the chehalis basically at the confluence with the Harrison. It is closed from the hatchery outlet to the confluence with the chehalis.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »

Thanks JC

last time I went down that way was to get to the mouth and about 5-6yrs ago
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

Skipped through the channel on my way back last year.  Nice to see some people playing with fire trucks and a black duffle bag.
Just to warn people if I see any B.S. this year Ill do more than make a call. 
We are fishermen, and there is pride in that.  Let the fish catch you, any jackass can get a fish.
                                      KAW KAW
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:29:22 PM by chronic_topdawg »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »

Everyone is so worried on here about the bears LOL, I am worried about all the cougars out there! You never know you have one stalking you until it is on top of you 95% of the time. This system used to be able to handle the angling pressure like already mentioned however since the river changed course it can no longer do that.

As for everyone knowing of the system I say that is untrue. Sure people may have actually looked at the regs and seen the name, visited the hatchery or seen it on a map. However I am sure very few of those individuals actually thought of fishing it until they see a good report about it and then the gong show starts. 90% of the time when I am out fishing I am on this system, I know the regulars and I know all the hatchery staff. This system is where the anglers that want to avoid the BS of the chedder go to have some relaxing time. They are the anglers that have put in hundreds of hours exploring and hiking around to find spots.

For those hiking into the canyon, if someone else is at a spot and fishing it before you DO NOT HIKE INTO IT AND JOIN THEM!!! It is a courtesy that has gone on for MANY years there and on other canyon systems.

Been closed for a few years now. What blows my mind is the people who still park at the hatchery and hike to the river by following the channel. Yeah right they're hiking that far LMFAO! That channel hits the chehalis basically at the confluence with the Harrison. It is closed from the hatchery outlet to the confluence with the chehalis.

I agree JC!

I can tell by some of these posts that some of these people are new and, quite honestly, naïve.  Look what happened when someone (I won't name the poster, but we all probably know who that was) put up a post and map to a certain spot on the Vedder.  Sure, that spot was no secret, and the Vedder is a large system that can handle pressure more than other rivers in the Fraser Valley.  However, the gong show that ensued in that area was insane.  We're not talking about added pressure on a fish stock.  We're talking about turning a spot into a complete gong show which significantly lowers the angling experience on the water.  Go out and do some leg work and discover these areas yourself instead of asking a question on a keyboard.  Do some research and keep a photo journal with dates and times, and learn from your experience.  Add up all the clues - timing, weather, past experience, etc., and you will have a pretty good idea as to when to hit a system instead of posting a one liner on this forum.  Meet fellow anglers on the water and start networking and you will be rewarded.  Some of us have put in countless hours exploring to find quality spots and will have no problem helping out a new angler, provided that they earn some trust and respect.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:33:33 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »

Sigh....time to start casting out like I have no idea what I'm doing to at least get an arms length of room beside me to myself.....  :P

Another trick is to wear rubber boots and bring both a tackle box and landing net with you to the river ;) also, try leaving the plastic on your cork.

Nice to see some people playing with fire trucks and a black duffle bag...
                                      KAW KAW

Um... what?

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 02:36:17 AM »

Another trick is to wear rubber boots and bring both a tackle box and landing net with you to the river ;) also, try leaving the plastic on your cork.

I thought that was common fishing attire for the LML and FV? Have i been doing this wrong the entire time?

i'm getting awful tired of having to leave where i'm fishing to find a new in the canyon after i hiked in and waited for an hour or two for the light to come up just to have 15 people hike in and come stand next to me as soon as the light comes up.  damn shame...

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 06:11:15 AM »

It's salmon season..... Get use too it

joshhowat

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 06:16:55 AM »

Glad I don't fish much for salmon anymore.

Pack out your garbage and respect the wild fish.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.