Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes a Rod more money?  (Read 12311 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: What makes a Rod more money?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »

Im currently using a c3 and convergance  im wondering if i would have better results if i upgraded my rod im not looking to break the bank something around 120 any recomondations and help would be appreciated

I don't think buying a good rod will make you a better fisherman.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 07:39:43 AM »

Strange no one has mentioned Marketing. Advertising, trade shows, fishing guide support programs all cost money and must be borne by the consumer. Berkely, Shimano, Sage, Loomis spend a lot. TFO and others spend significantly less.
Within a single manufacturer's line certainly better components will run up the price but companies like Sage separate sell price from cost for the higher end products. A high end rod doesn't have 3x the cost of a lower end rod, even if you consider new high tech components like nano-tech resin in the Sage One and a few other products.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »

I don't know about you but I catch all my fish on either fly or bait gear! You must use a net or buy them at the market!

greyghost,

I meant that as in gear doesn't catch fish, the fisherman does. It doesn't really matter what gear you use if you do your homework.
I hear a lot about how you have to buy the most expensive gear the money can buy and we have been trained like sheep by the media and marketers.
We have all become branded.
While in fact if you practise on the cheap gear and hone in your skills you will be much better when you get the good gear.
If you practise jumping with weights on your legs and can jump 4 feet high, when you take the weights off you will be able to jump 5 feet high.

Expensive gear will have better warranty, I'll give them that.
Many of these high end gear companies actually have draconian rules for their suppliers to maintain exclusivity.

I will pay top dollar for a Cpin reel for example that is hand made because I know what has gone into it.
But I don't think I would pay $800 for a rod because I know that the materials are probably just as cheap as the mid range rods and the markup is astronomical.
Novelty sells so if someone has discovered a new material to make a rod and is marking it up high just because nobody else knows it, I won't buy into it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:08:21 AM by adriaticum »

bcguy

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »

Just wanted to say the lamiglas is pretty slick, and I can definately tell why they are worth so much. The other day my buddy was complaining and having the worst morning fishing in the cold because his guides kept freezing. The lamiglas had no issues at all, You do get what you pay for.

OK, stupid question maybe, but does one guide over another freeze up and which guide is best under freezing conditions?
Frozen guides seem to be a common thread in cold conditions, my Convergence guides froze up and so do my Loomis rod guides (and this is not a cheap rod)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »

I don't think it matters really what guides you have. My zirconium plated guides freeze up just as quick as the ones on my gl2 do.
Of course the tip top guide is going to freeze up first because it sees the mist water and is the smallest. I'm sure there's many products out there designed to help with freezing,  but I wouldn't be putting any product on my line no matter how "friendly" they say it is.

Sometimes I'll dip my rod in the water and shake it out if I'm really lazy. Usually I just keep my drifts really short and I can get through a run without having to de-ice.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »

Obviously the difference between cheap and high end rods is quality, weight, sensitivity, balance, durability, high tech innovations built in it, and warranty.
 Years ago I owned few St.Croix wild river drift rods. I broke the upper tip three or four times in a four years period, due to high staking, flying led hitting it, having a fish on, etc. Since changing to Sages(3113 and 4120) about six years ago and clearly abusing them I had no problems at all with exception of replacing a guide or two. I don't worry about high staking any more cause Sages are managing it well. I never needed to use my life time warranty either, however it gives me a peace of mind.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »

OK, stupid question maybe, but does one guide over another freeze up and which guide is best under freezing conditions?
Frozen guides seem to be a common thread in cold conditions, my Convergence guides froze up and so do my Loomis rod guides (and this is not a cheap rod)

It's the water on the guides that freezes. Doesn't make any difference on the type of guides.

bcguy

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »

It's the water on the guides that freezes. Doesn't make any difference on the type of guides.
That's what I though...I have waxed my guides a few times...doesn't work too bad...but really, just delays the inevitable
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

sbc hris

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »

Im currently using a c3 and convergance  im wondering if i would have better results if i upgraded my rod im not looking to break the bank something around 120 any recomondations and help would be appreciated

I used a convergence for years, and never really liked it. Didn't seem to have much mojo. About 4 years ago I picked up a Fenwick Canadian Methods rod for less than the Convergence was worth, and I like it way more. They're worth a look if your unhappy with your convergence, and I caught way more fish on the Fenwick, probably just because I was more confident with it. Cheers

jordanc

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »

Thanks

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »

Strange no one has mentioned Marketing. Advertising, trade shows, fishing guide support programs all cost money and must be borne by the consumer. Berkely, Shimano, Sage, Loomis spend a lot. TFO and others spend significantly less.
Within a single manufacturer's line certainly better components will run up the price but companies like Sage separate sell price from cost for the higher end products. A high end rod doesn't have 3x the cost of a lower end rod, even if you consider new high tech components like nano-tech resin in the Sage One and a few other products.

BINGO!
The largest part in the cost price of ANY rod is mentioned above. Only other cost not mentioned will be american labour vs korean or chinese labour costs overseas. Nano tech resin adds about 25% to the makers cost of making the rod.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »

Lots of rods are just junk but here is one that is unique & has very good reviews.

Do a web search on " emmrod ".

Great on hikes shore fishing kayak on & on...

Maybe yous know about them already ??? but for me it is a new product.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »

Lots of rods are just junk but here is one that is unique & has very good reviews.

Do a web search on " emmrod ".

Great on hikes shore fishing kayak on & on...

Maybe yous know about them already ??? but for me it is a new product.

Sorry pal they are not rods, they are poles  ;D :D

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »

I am loving my St Croix 10'6 river rod... I was using an Abu Garcia 10'6 rod before... It was like going from a Kia to a Audi...