Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to get into center pinning....  (Read 19824 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Want to get into center pinning....
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »

So I purchased a Fenwick HMX Mooching rod to go with my cpin. I was in my front yard practising my cast cause I've never done it before... its more difficult that I thought it would be. Does anyone one have any tips?

Get it spinning first.... that's pretty much all you need to know.
Almost a batting motion and let go of the reel right at the end of the backswing...
My first cast was pretty terrible, after that I've been decent. Few birds nests today, but also hit a fish first time using one  ;D

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

youtube it..... i believe theres a couple of good videos. Also use more weight when your first starting out as it is easier to cast. I remember taking my pin to the river for the first time and thinking what have i just wasted my money on lol .....   

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »

So I went on Youtube and its all about the Wallis cast or modified wallis cast, is that what everyone does here?

When I was practising in my yard I was getting the reel spinning and then continued the cast. I guess I just have to practice, practice, practice. I'm up to about 30ft! Woohoo! :P
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »

easiest, most used cast is called the 'bc cast' i believe. You load the rod back like a baseball bat holding the reel, then just before the rods fully loaded back let go of the spool wait a second and cast it out and make sure to stop the spool just before your gear hits the water, or you WILL get a tangle and smack your fingers good. At first it is hard to get the learning curve but just watch others, ask someone that seems good at casting for tips and practce lots. And dont try to cast across the whole river at first, short casts are easier to learn.
When i first went to pin, i hated it and couldnt even cast 20 feet without birds net, now its super easy and flowy and no problem casting across the river.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »

Are you selling it already? http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/2861838894.html couldnt help but notice the same photos. Would you not reccomend it?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »

youtube it..... i believe theres a couple of good videos. Also use more weight when your first starting out as it is easier to cast. I remember taking my pin to the river for the first time and thinking what have i just wasted my money on lol .....   

Yea, remember seeing a guy get a bait ball, weight float and line,up around his ears; he took it camly enough unwound everything, scowling abit. So I went further uptream to practice, else I might have pushed his limits of tollerance. ;D
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 08:05:14 AM »

Are you selling it already? http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/2861838894.html couldnt help but notice the same photos. Would you not reccomend it?

Yeah that's me! I only did that so I had somewhere to link the photos to this website. I know I know, there must be another way....
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »

i reccomend the islander searun or steelheader!

I would stay away from the searun as it is a piece of you know what. The steelheader is way better with no problems.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »

I'll work on the side cast first. Then once I can do that with no problems, I'll move on to the Wallis.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:02:17 PM by Jewelz »
Peace. One. Jewelz.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »

Yeah that's me! I only did that so I had somewhere to link the photos to this website. I know I know, there must be another way....

its called photo bucket

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »

I must say, after spending an hour or so in the field, I really love casting a centrepin. It feels so... What's the word... Artful.
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »

So the Rapala went back to the store. After playing with it for a week, it just had to go. The clicker is not strong at all. It won't even hold a 1/2 ounce worth of shot. I could only imagine it getting annoying and frustrating on the river. So it went back and I upgraded to the Okuma Raw II. It was between that, the Aventa and the Raven. Hopefully I made the right choice. The boys at Riverside Fly and Tackle were just great, will definitely return there. Anyways, I'm going to the river tomorrow wish me luck!
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Nitroholic

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »

What do you need such a strong clicker for

cohoaaron

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »

that okuma raw is a pretty cool looking reel....let us know how it performs

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »

What do you need such a strong clicker for

Just walking around. It won't hold the weight. So if u wanted to walk to another spot, you would always have to put the pouch on in order for the reel not to spin.
Peace. One. Jewelz.