Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis river Steelhead?  (Read 28690 times)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Chehalis river Steelhead?
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »

best to ask sterling chan as he drifts the canyon almost every weekend.....pretty much from 8k down to blood rock., joshowatt may also be another person to ask.

better to get the info from someone who spends allot of time there in the canyon as it is quite dangerous.

Pat AV

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

Good point, if you plan on drifting pre scouting and talking to experienced folks is a excellent idea.

If you want to hike in you can access the canyon from either side of the bridge by hiking up the trails. Be very careful though the trails are steep and many a life has been lost up there. That being said with caution those trails can be safely navigated for the most part.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

fish bonk

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »

I have had bear encounters up there, that still freak me out. Not to mention being stalked by a cougar on the canyon trail. I sure made good time back to the truck though!!!! Or maybe it was a Samsquam. :o

drh

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »

Fisherama -I'm no authority on the declineing stocks,but I do recall speaking to hatchery workers who said Liberal government cut funds significantly to their hatchery when they came into power in 2001 [less money fewer fry and smolt rearing].The river naturally diverted away from the inlet channel was another huge factor to returning stock decline i presume didn't help either.Plus the ocean, the drift nets the fish farms etc etc etc 1

joshhowat

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »

If you fish any river enough you can catch some thing.

My advice about the chehalis is don't bite off more then you can chew.

If you fish the lower move around alot and fish every pocket you see even if it's only 10 feet long. I do 2 cast with every bait I use. Some times you will need to hike around alot have good boots. There is wildlife around due to lots of forest so don't be stupid out there.

As for the canyon my personal playground year round. It's alot of hiking up and down cliffs. But it's pretty and few people. Example of my day in the canyon is 700  to 1130 I hit 7 spots and fish it the same as the lower 2 cast with every bait I use. It's about 2 hr of hiking time to those spots for me and to be honest only one of my fishing buddy does it for steelhead with me every now and then the rest of them would rather fish the vedder. To each there own.

Move around there is no magic hole on this river that has fish just stacked up.

PACK OUT YOUR GARBADGE SERIOUSLY last coho season made me do alot of clean up. WTF is with ditching your empty roe containers.

And if you bring a rope to get down into spots don't leave it cause someone will come along and take it down.

Josh
Eat, Sleep, Fish.