Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which Milner reel should i chose?  (Read 19463 times)

joshhowat

Re: Which Milner reel should i chose?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:11:12 PM »

I have a bushing 4 3/8 milner and manx 4. Love both. The manx cast a lot better then my bushing milner and both cast miles better then any other cp I have used. The 4 reels in slower but when you have a hot fish on its a lot more fun. The milner clicker growls loud too if your into that.

Get one you will not regret it.

Josh
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »

I have a bushing 4 3/8 milner and manx 4. Love both. The manx cast a lot better then my bushing milner and both cast miles better then any other cp I have used. The 4 reels in slower but when you have a hot fish on its a lot more fun. The milner clicker growls loud too if your into that.

Josh
\

I am getting one for sure either the Talisman or Kingfisher. Right now i'm leaning towards the Talisman and if I can get a good deal i dont mind buying both lol.

n8

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »

also might want to consider that the Talisman is fully caged and the Kingfisher is not. Your line may sometimes come off the side of your spool on the Kingfisher, which can be annoying at times. Whether or not it will make a difference to you... I don't know. The Talisman is also slightly heavier for that reason. Either way, enjoy!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »

also might want to consider that the Talisman is fully caged and the Kingfisher is not. Your line may sometimes come off the side of your spool on the Kingfisher, which can be annoying at times. Whether or not it will make a difference to you... I don't know. The Talisman is also slightly heavier for that reason. Either way, enjoy!

Hey thanks for pointing that out... I notice with my islander steelheader the line comes out once in a while. So i'm assuming you are saying that with the Talisman being fully caged that problem is gone?

Also i'm starting to lean more and more towards the Talisman but what are the more popular sizes? the 4" or the 4.5" ?

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »

Hey thanks for pointing that out... I notice with my islander steelheader the line comes out once in a while. So i'm assuming you are saying that with the Talisman being fully caged that problem is gone?

Also i'm starting to lean more and more towards the Talisman but what are the more popular sizes? the 4" or the 4.5" ?

dang dude just pick one and get it, they are all really nice reels who cares what is more popular? A half inch difference is going to be negligible so just pick a few up and see what feels better.  I personally prefer the narrow spool of the Kingfisher to the wider Talisman. Seems to me that the Talisman is more of a collector reel. A lot of the people that I know who have Talisman's use their Kingfishers most of the time

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »

Why don't you get in touch with John and ask for his sales records to confirm the true popular size?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

Yeah I like to do my research before i buy my thing  ;D Just wanted to see if there was any typical preference for sizes for the Talisman.

Was wondering why some prefer using the Kingfisher over the Talisman?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »

Good for you for doing research before purchasing. I'll chime in by saying you really can't go wrong with either the Talisman or the Kingfisher. I sold my Islander because it did not have a cage. As Ed has pointed out, it can be annoying when the line comes off the side of the reel. I personally would choose a Talisman but that's me.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »

if you get a talisman dont get the 4.5'' its too heavy and just plain too big. 4'' is the size you want.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

if you get a talisman dont get the 4.5'' its too heavy and just plain too big. 4'' is the size you want.

Thnx !

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.. ended up buying a 4" talisman at Berrys. Spoke with John a few times before buying the reel and it is very true that he is a great guy! Answered all my questions and got me really pumped when i pick up my next Milner reel

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »

Josh

Hey Josh,
         Love that Manx that you have. Really tempting me to try find one too!

gordc

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »

There's a Manx at Freds right now.  Be sure to get a Kingfisher for a good all around reel, you can never have to many pins.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

There's a Manx at Freds right now.  Be sure to get a Kingfisher for a good all around reel, you can never have to many pins.

Hey I heard that too, but unfortunately I think the one at Fred's is a RH model and i'm a LH user. I will probably pick up a Kingfisher one day after I get the Manx :P. Just wondering any of you know anything about the Labrador? Is it just like the Kingfisher where LH and RH users can use it ?

iCemAn

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »

You can't go wrong with either, but I prefer the size and feel of my Kingfisher. Used Talisman's before but smaller diameter on the one I was using meant a lot more work reeling my line in.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!